Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road
Is mounting tires hard? >

Is mounting tires hard?

Is mounting tires hard?

Old 02-08-2007, 08:29 PM
Tech Adept

Default Is mounting tires hard?

never done it before... should i get someone at my LHS to do it, or is it pretty easy? (i have directions that came with tires)
Old 02-08-2007, 08:57 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 29 (97%+)

For off road tires it is quite easy. Here is how I would recommend doing it. There are several advantages to doing it your self that I will also explain. Step number one. If you are running anything other then a 1/10 scale buggy then do this. Flip the rubber tire inside out. Now, rap a piece of tape around the outside of the tire, don't make it tight, just make it exactly fit around the inside of the tire. This will keep the tire from expanding under throtle so that it will not baloon up if you spin out on a off road track. Thus it is easier to recover. Step number two. fill the air vents on the plastic rim with ca glue. step number 3. lightly sand the area you will mount the tire so that the glue works better. If you are running with pro line foams then you need to take a little bit off of them. They are realy too big for off road. What you do is trim the outer edge down like half a cenetemeter on the left and right side. This will make them more effective on the track. Now, place the foam inside the tires. Slide the tires over the rim. Now, once you get the tire in the grooves of the rim take a rubber band and place it over the tire over each groove. Now, take some ca and run it up under neather each side of the tire. Odds are you will only get ca on the outer edge and the bottom of the tire. Now, you let it dry. Once it has dried you will take a nail or something and poke some holes in the tire so that it can breath. The reason from gluing the rims is so that you can wash the tires and now, when they spin the centripical force will cause the water the leave the tires on the outside. It doesn't leave the tires from the inside which also helps to keep dirt out as well, thus less weight. I realize I'm drunk and this is gramaticly crap, but if you can make sense of this this is how you glue tires. If you race it will vastly improve your day at the track over any typical glue job.
Old 02-08-2007, 09:22 PM
Tech Adept

paragraphs would have helped
Old 02-08-2007, 09:27 PM
Tech Master

Guling tires is not to hard. U just got to mack sure that they are guled well and aslo do not glue ur fingers to the tires that is not fun! trust me I have done that one mysulf.
Old 02-08-2007, 09:41 PM
Tech Elite

yeah, get some cheap rubber gloves. Glueing your fingers to the tires isn't the bad part, they come right off. The bad part is prying the glue off of your hand. Also make sure to use a thicker ca. The thin stuff realy is too thin and will wind up making a mess.
Old 02-08-2007, 09:45 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by party_wagon
yeah, get some cheap rubber gloves. Glueing your fingers to the tires isn't the bad part, they come right off. The bad part is prying the glue off of your hand. Also make sure to use a thicker ca. The thin stuff realy is too thin and will wind up making a mess.
That is ture. That is also a good idea.
Old 02-08-2007, 10:04 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 47 (100%+)

Do NOT fill up the holes with glue!! BAD IDEA!! The tires and foam act as shocks themselves, by preventing the air to escape it will make handling worse and unpredictable.
Old 02-08-2007, 10:05 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

The best advice I can give you is to find a veteran racer, or at least a veteran tire gluer (I'd guess veteran racers have glued more tires than a veteran basher) and just watch them do it once. Instructions without pictures suck (for lack of a better term) and seeing someone do it once will make it all clear.

I'd recommend buying the losi tire gluing kit as it comes with glue, tire bands and tubing. All you need is about 1/2 inch of tubing cut off and put into the end of the bottle.

Good Luck and keep you fingers out of the way. I used to have more glue on my fingers than on the tires and rims until I watched a 'pro' do it once.

Shane
Old 02-08-2007, 10:43 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by K_King
Do NOT fill up the holes with glue!! BAD IDEA!! The tires and foam act as shocks themselves, by preventing the air to escape it will make handling worse and unpredictable.
If you look further down I talk about taking a nail and putting holes in the middle of the tire. This allows the tire to breath and the water/soil to exscape when the car is under throtle. There are three basic rules to aplying off road tires. If it is 2wd softer foam in the rear, or trim a little more off the edge. Belt anything bigger then 1/10th scale buggy tires. Glue the holes on the rims and put holes in the rubber using nails. Now, instead of washing your tires and running a tire still filled w/ dirt and water. You pick it up. Throtle it once and you have an empter tire w/ nothing but foam in it. Just a heads up, pro-line foams suck unless they have changed something and made them better.
Old 02-08-2007, 11:06 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 47 (100%+)

Why would you put holes in a tire? That would put stress on that part of the tire and it would come apart easier. I dont understand the logic.
Old 02-08-2007, 11:30 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

you put holes in the tires do you don't destroy your foams, I have tires I have ran for almost 2 years with holes in them, 2.2 truck tires and monster truck tires, no tire damage. WAY better than the little holes in the rims, plus you can put 3-4 holes per tire. Most every racer I know does this. Wash your tires in water, adn with no holes in teh rims, no matter how hard you squeeze, ther is going to be water in the tire, with holes in the tire, the water automatically works its way out of the tire.
Ok, gluing Tires, 1/8 buggy,
Trim the edge of your foams,
Get some tire bands
Clean the gluing edge of the rim with some rubbing alcohol
place tires onto rims
Pull bead inside of mounting track
Depending onm which glue you use you either (1-5second glue) place bead in mounting bead adn glue 4 spots on one side of tire( at corners basically) and move to teh next tire, due all 4 like this, then flip over and repeat.
flip over and fill between tack spots, flip over repeat.
(10-15 second glue) Leave bead inside of mounting track, run a bead of glue around track and plop bead into mounting grooveand push into place making sure to seat tire well, move to next tire, next, next, flip and repeat. Drilling holes is a good thing.
Old 02-08-2007, 11:56 PM
Tech Elite

I would not recommend using 10-15 second glue. I would get something that dries slower so that you can clean up mistakes. It you get the side wall covered in glue the tire is more likely to come lose because the tire is less forgiving when the car is turning. I typicaly get some of that thick stuff that takes like a 30 seconds to get a hold and just run a bead around the bottom of the tires track in the rim. Do this once the tire is in place, just slide the glues tip under the rubber and slide it around the tire.
Old 02-09-2007, 03:19 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)
Talking

Originally Posted by gatermaxx
you put holes in the tires do you don't destroy your foams, I have tires I have ran for almost 2 years with holes in them, 2.2 truck tires and monster truck tires, no tire damage. WAY better than the little holes in the rims, plus you can put 3-4 holes per tire. Most every racer I know does this. Wash your tires in water, adn with no holes in teh rims, no matter how hard you squeeze, ther is going to be water in the tire, with holes in the tire, the water automatically works its way out of the tire.
Ok, gluing Tires, 1/8 buggy,
Trim the edge of your foams,
Get some tire bands
Clean the gluing edge of the rim with some rubbing alcohol
place tires onto rims
Pull bead inside of mounting track
Depending onm which glue you use you either (1-5second glue) place bead in mounting bead adn glue 4 spots on one side of tire( at corners basically) and move to teh next tire, due all 4 like this, then flip over and repeat.
flip over and fill between tack spots, flip over repeat.
(10-15 second glue) Leave bead inside of mounting track, run a bead of glue around track and plop bead into mounting grooveand push into place making sure to seat tire well, move to next tire, next, next, flip and repeat. Drilling holes is a good thing.
2 years from 1 set of tires! How much foam can be seen coming out?
Old 02-09-2007, 05:00 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

http://nitrohouse.com/video_help.htm

this is for 1/8 buggy tires. but my guess it would also work on most other tires.
Old 02-09-2007, 05:28 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 44 (100%+)

I think thin glue is better. Thick glue is messier in my opinion. I mount lots of tires too. Thin glue flows better, so you can put a drop of it on the rib but it flow to cover about an inch of surface.

What I do first is ensure that the tire fits in the rim. If the rib on the tire is too big, I cut it on the tire all the way around so it fits in there. Then I mount the tires to the rim and I put rubber bands around it so it fits snug. Then I place a drop where the tire and wheel meet. I massage the tire in that area until the drop disappears and flows inside. I do this all around the tire until finished.

I learned this technique from a pro racer. You can also try this too. Do all the tire prep and mount the tires and rubber band. Run a small and thin bead of glue where the tire and wheel meet. Quickly, then massage the tire with two fingers all around to ensure the glue sinks into the rib. I actually prefer this way better than just placing drops around.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.