Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road
Will Electric buggies perform as good as nitro buggies? >

Will Electric buggies perform as good as nitro buggies?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Will Electric buggies perform as good as nitro buggies?

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2007, 12:23 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Now that is apples to oranges if I've ever seen it! Basically if you were to drag race the two of them the B4 would have a lower top speed, although with an upgraded motor ($35) the B4 will easily keep up in top speed. Cornering speed, the Jammin will be a tiny bit quicker, but much easier to control due to 4wd. Maintence, the Jammin will need about 10x the maintence of the B4. Basically the B4 is very beginner friendly and is very high performance, the Jammin has a steep learning curve and will require you to do lots of reading and such to be able to maintain and run it properly. Please for the sake of people trying to help you let us know what you are going to be doing with the this car exactally. First of all bashing or racing? If racing goto your local tracks and see what is going on, what classes are popular? If your bashing just get a monster truck (savage, revo, whatever they are all fun to mess around with). If you want to race at all though make sure to talk to the racers in your area, and goto the local hobby shops and see what they support.
Old 02-04-2007, 01:40 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 29 (97%+)

It sounds like your bashing right? Driving it over jumps and stuff in the street? If you don't make a hair pin turn it's not a reck kind of stuff? I would personaly go with a team associated monster gt. It will virtualy never break, it has good parts support, if you decide to race it is good in it's racing class, it jumps very well, it will turn well as well, and it has a huge motor that will get it going very fast.
Old 02-04-2007, 07:36 AM
Tech Elite

there is basically no comparison to the B4 and the jammin. thats two completely different worlds. if you wanted to compare a jammin to an electric buggy, it would have to be a 4wd buggy. ill use my DI, just because i know how it runs, but others can compare an Academy or XX4 too.

my DI has a good 15 turn motor, nice speed control, and is dialed in in basically every way possible. at my track, i easily run with nitro buggies. but my track is smooth on the straights. if you were on a rough track, it would be different. comparing it in a drag, my DI runs close to 40 and easily keeps up with most to all nitro buggies. handling wise, there is no comparison. ive driven both and they are almost dead even. and jumping wise, they both float over any jump you can put in their way. ive done 15 foot triples, doubles that launch straight up, flatgrounds. doesnt matter. they both do great over jumps.
Old 02-04-2007, 09:13 AM
Tech Apprentice

can you give me some links to where i can buy them?
Old 02-04-2007, 09:19 AM
Tech Elite

electric 4wd? i know towerhobbies.com has the tamiya DI and keen hawk( both are the same only one is white and one is black.....)

Losi XXX4+G
http://www.ultimatehobbies.com/istar.asp?a=6&id=LOSA0015!1002&csurl=%2Fistar%2Eas p%3Fa%3D29%26search%3Dlosi*%26view%3Dlosi%26

Tamiya DI
http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXMFW1&P=ML

Kyosho Lazer ZX-5
http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...oducts_id/5026

MRC Academy
http://www.ultimatehobbies.com/istar.asp?a=6&id=ACA15101!1013&csurl=%2Fistar%2Eas p%3Fa%3D29%26search%3DMRC*%26view%3DMRC%26

im not going to tell you which is best because i dont know much about any of the mother then the DI and XXX4. both are great. i think the DI is more durable though. not sure about the others though.....
Old 02-04-2007, 09:21 AM
Tech Apprentice

To get the DI running GOOD, how much more $$$ will it cost besides the $140
Old 02-04-2007, 09:26 AM
Tech Apprentice

looks like when i do the "combo" to get a radio, battery, and charger, it totals to be about $250.

are those 3 things all i'll need besides the car?
Old 02-04-2007, 09:28 AM
Tech Elite

your goign to need a speed control, battery, charger, radio(which should come with reciever and servo) and you might want to consider a betetr motor. the stock motor is not fast at all. i mean its decent but with a good 15-20 turn or so you will be doing a lot higher speeds instead which will be better.
Old 02-04-2007, 09:29 AM
Tech Elite

it will be more like $300 or so with the speed control.
Old 02-04-2007, 09:33 AM
Tech Apprentice

Whats a Brushless motor do?

Also, LiPo batterys cost like $90 and chargers are like $150... whats so special, becides the 30% longer life?

worth the $$$?
Old 02-04-2007, 09:35 AM
Tech Elite

a brushless system will be the most power you have ever seen in an elctric. my street car runs a reedy neo-one 4star and it will outrun nitros easy. easy 50mph and gets there in an instant. brushless will vost you a good $200 more though.

as for lipo, i cant help you. i run regular stick pack nimh batteries. supposedly the yare worth the money but im nto sure. i dont run them. how much money are you willing to put into this?
Old 02-04-2007, 09:36 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by RCn00bHelpMe
Whats a Brushless motor do?

Also, LiPo batterys cost like $90 and chargers are like $150... whats so special, becides the 30% longer life?

worth the $$$?

Halls buttt !!
Old 02-04-2007, 09:46 AM
Tech Apprentice

Is a duritrax evader complete garbage?

i can get one of those, RTR with 2 sets of wheels, a charger, 2 1500 batteries, 3 motors, and some parts, all for $125.

then i could prolly still get a Jammin X1.

so then i'd have a quiet one for around the house and stuff, and then a gas one for taking to tracks and stuff....
Old 02-04-2007, 09:49 AM
Tech Elite

off ebay right? its not complete garbage. but its off ebay, used and probly has the crap beat out of it.
Old 02-04-2007, 10:40 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 29 (97%+)

If you can answer these quick questions we should be able to give you the best possible pick for your money.
&&&&Do you want electric or nitro?
&&&&what are you going to be doing with this car and where?
&&&& what is your budget, getting a single great car is the best way to go for just starting out, not two so so cars.
&&&here is a break down of the two.
**** speed: equal
*****cost: varies drasticaly depending on options
*****cleaning and maintance: nitro requires more, you have to clean lots of oil off the side of the car as it comes out of the pipe. This happens when the car is properly tuned.
***** durabillity: nitro vehicles are typicaly more durable. Nitro races can last for around an hour. Electric races only last 5 minutes so the nitro cars have to be built to endure some wrecks and things w/out breaking. The jammin is not known to be a very durable 1/8th scale buggy.
****long term costs: nitro will need to have $20 of fuel purchased every 5 hours of actualy driving the car. If you get a brushless lipo electric then there is no maintanance unless you get it real dirty.
&&&&&&&&Do you want 4wd or 2wd.
***4wd costs more to have a fast car for the track.
***2wd is harder to drive, but it will do a better job of teaching you how to race.
the last two only matter if you are racing.
***2wd can pull wheelies

&&&& do you have a local hobby shop? If so, find out what cars they carry parts for.
&&&& Would you like to race in santioned events one day? Is there a local track? What types of cars do they race?

Guys, please stop giving him pointless answers untill he answers these questions, he does not have a lot of experience with r/c and does not know what is involved.

There are a lot of options and you choosing answering these questions will help us to give you very good explanations.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.