Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road
How often do you have to work on these things? >

How often do you have to work on these things?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

How often do you have to work on these things?

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2007, 07:43 PM
Tech Apprentice

Default How often do you have to work on these things?

My dad doesn't "want another project" and he seems to believe that i couldn't do it myself.

1st, how often do you need to work on these?

2nd, could a kid work on this?
Old 02-02-2007, 07:49 PM
Tech Regular

What is "this" ?
Theres plenty of kids with competent rc maintenance.
Old 02-02-2007, 07:51 PM
Tech Apprentice

I want a buggy, and my dad thinks that im to stupid to maintain it and he doesn't want to have to waste his time on his son, cause i'm not worth it to him.
Old 02-02-2007, 08:02 PM
Tech Regular

Get yourself a buggy thats durable and easy to work on.
You have alot of people on this forum for "help"
Old 02-02-2007, 08:03 PM
Tech Apprentice

Is a Jammin easy to work on?
Old 02-02-2007, 08:37 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default wow

my 7 year old just built his 1st kit.. a good old hornet. get a kit/ buggy that is up to your skill level. dont get a kit thats too advanced for you to build and maintain.as for your father, talk to him. when me and my son did our kits it was a great time!!!

my 2 cents
Old 02-02-2007, 08:40 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Just follow every instruction carefully on break in .. If you like get someone around you with a bit of experience with the break in. follow proper cleaning and treatments... Might I ask your age???
Old 02-02-2007, 08:42 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by RCn00bHelpMe
I want a buggy, and my dad thinks that im to stupid to maintain it and he doesn't want to have to waste his time on his son, cause i'm not worth it to him.
Thinks your 2 stupid no dad should think that is he to stupid to help you with it?
Old 02-02-2007, 08:55 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default what?!!!

i hope thats not true. if so i feel for you. i give my son all the encouragement i can... hope you get a nice buggy. try your local hobby shop. they maybe able to help.
Old 02-02-2007, 09:12 PM
Tech Initiate

If you can walk and chew gum you can work on RC cars. When we say "work" well it's not really work. Alot of the enjoyment of RC is "fiddling" with your car. As far as age goes, I read in a magazine of a 12 year old racing in the 1/8 on-road pro class. The amount of time "working" on your car is up to you. They do require alot more care than say a bicycle though. After all, you are putting a fairly complex machine in the dirt. Can a Kid work on them? Absolutly! There is no age requirement. Ask your father to relax, in a polite and respectful manner of course. As far as which car is the easiest to work on is difficult to say. That question also has a tendancy to create a flame war. But I think its safe to say that if you keep it shinny side up and away from things that don't move (trees, etc) it will be fairly easy to work on. One last note, If you don't try something you will never succede at anything.
Larry
Old 02-02-2007, 09:35 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I cant believe your dad said he has no time for you, I got my kid (13) a truggy last year and half the fun was teaching him how to maintain it, and this year we got a mbx5r which he built and maintains him self....well mostly he does get lazy now and then and i have to remind him. The best part is going to the track every second weekend and watch him kick guys that are twice his age around the track
Old 02-02-2007, 09:54 PM
Tech Apprentice

i want a RTR buggy.

my dad didn't say he had no time for me, he just said "I don't want another project"

So my question is, will my dad me needing to help me fix things like every day?

im 14 by the way.

You think I should be able to maintain it and take care of it, and even fix parts, by myself?
Old 02-02-2007, 10:54 PM
Tech Initiate

RCnOObhelpme,
Of course you can do it yourself! Besides I don't recall ever hearing anyone saying they can't race because its' "in the shop". Just remind your father that it will be your responsibility not his. I've never bought an RTR so I don't know if they come with the build manual but most manufactures web sites have them for download. After you get your car the next thing you should do is change your screen name, thats alot of typing.
Gasman517,
You got your son to clean his cars!?! How is that possible?
Old 02-02-2007, 11:14 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 51 (100%+)

If your dad is not wanting to help, then I would make an assumption that he does not indulge in this hobby. That being said, a few hours on this forum and you will have more knowledge than him. From experience the hardest part of maintaining a nitro rc is engine breakin and tuning. Good luck and welcome to the hobby.
Old 02-03-2007, 09:12 AM
Tech Apprentice

Yeah, my parents also think that the people on this fourm aren't "real people" and they need to talk to someone at a hobby shop before i buy one.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.