Wiki Posts
Search

2wd vs 4wd

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2007, 08:27 PM
Tech Rookie

Default 2wd vs 4wd

is 4wd easier for a total rc noob??

I was looking into getting the AE RC10GT2..

I'm 19 and I don't mind learning how to do things..and I don't care if it takes practice to drive a 2wd..
Old 02-02-2007, 08:44 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

2wd is more of a challenge, and IMO way more fun to drive. You cant power slide a corner, or pull a wheelie down the strait. Plus if you want to be a better driver, then a gas truck will help w/ that.

Last edited by TheTurtleMan; 02-03-2007 at 10:47 AM.
Old 02-03-2007, 09:38 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 8 (79%+)

ya go with the 2wd till you learn how to drive then get your self a 4wd. plus its less maintenance on a 2wd so you can learn the basics on how to work on these things.
Old 02-03-2007, 09:46 AM
Tech Elite

i personally think 4wd is more fun, but only if you have the lots of power. yes in a 4wd electric with a brushless you can pull wheelies down the straights and powerslide the turns using power. but 2wd is more fun to drive. it takes mroe skill and such. you might want to consider a 2wd electric truck instead. it wont be quite the power, but still have the same feel. AE RC10T4 instead maybe. or if you want a little mroe pwoer you could get the Losi XXXT+
brushless truck. 2wd is the way for a begginer. less maintenance and once you learn to drive a 2wd a 4wd will be easier. but if you learn on a 4wd then switch to a 2wd, you will have to relearn how to drive it fast.
Old 02-03-2007, 02:21 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by silentdonut
is 4wd easier for a total rc noob??

I was looking into getting the AE RC10GT2..

I'm 19 and I don't mind learning how to do things..and I don't care if it takes practice to drive a 2wd..
i'm going to assume that your interested in racing more so than basing, so i'm going to answer you in that regard........

since your looking at buying one, you probably already know that the RC10GT2 is a 1/10th scale 2wd gas truck......for a noob, it's probably a bit too much to learn how to drive with.

as for 2wd vs 4wd.....the two main contenders in the 1/10th gas catagory are the associated truck you're already looking at and losi's adam drake II truck. there really isn't a 4wd 1/10th gas truck that's racable now. there are a few 1/10th 4wd gas trucks on the market, but their not legal for racing.

besides 1/8th scale buggy and truggy and the 1/8th monster (transmission class) trucks, the only other regular run class for 4wd is in 4wd electric buggy....which is usually a modified motor class. they are fun, very fast and depending on your skill level, can sometimes be a handfull. as someone already pointed out, they are more complicated and a little harder to wrench on.

however, an electric 2wd truck is an excellent platform for a beginner to learn from.....how to drive AND how to wrench.

i'd sugguest that you purchace an electric 2wd truck kit to start out your rc career with. put it together (that's half the fun for alot of people), learn how everything goes together...that way, you'll know how to work on it when the time comes.

as to what to power that electric truck with.....well, that's another thread alltogether......there's brushed motors and then there's brushless. do your homework.

plus, an electric truck will be easier for you to learn to drive with....especially with a good stock motor. a truck is generally more stable on the track than a buggy would be and will help you learn the basics of driving. learn how to drive it with a stock motor in it first, then progress to a modified motor. a good low turn mod motor will get you pretty close to a .12's nitro proformance level.

then, after you learn to wrench and drive, i'd sugguest you jump into the nitro pool's deep end if you're still interested in a gas vehichle. you'll be much better prepared.

as to which kit to buy.....again, there is pretty much two trucks to choose from.....associated's T4 and losi's MF2. go check out what your local hobby shop supports, what the guys at the track drive and what wins at your track. talk to the racers at your track as to what they like and why they drive/buy what they drive/buy. you'll have a much better idea, not to mention more info, to base your purchacing decision on.

i've seen way too many noobs jump in waaaaay over their head and starting out with something that's beyond their skill level for a beginner and not being able to drive it like they want and not knowing how to wrench on it.....only to give up in frustration and quit the hobby/sport before they really give it a chance. remember, everybody has to start somewhere and it's better to learn basics first rather than to jump into something that's more than you bargined for and wind up NOT having fun with it and quitting.

good luck.
Old 02-03-2007, 03:27 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Originally Posted by dirtracer1
i'm going to assume that your interested in racing more so than basing, so i'm going to answer you in that regard........

since your looking at buying one, you probably already know that the RC10GT2 is a 1/10th scale 2wd gas truck......for a noob, it's probably a bit too much to learn how to drive with.

as for 2wd vs 4wd.....the two main contenders in the 1/10th gas catagory are the associated truck you're already looking at and losi's adam drake II truck. there really isn't a 4wd 1/10th gas truck that's racable now. there are a few 1/10th 4wd gas trucks on the market, but their not legal for racing.

besides 1/8th scale buggy and truggy and the 1/8th monster (transmission class) trucks, the only other regular run class for 4wd is in 4wd electric buggy....which is usually a modified motor class. they are fun, very fast and depending on your skill level, can sometimes be a handfull. as someone already pointed out, they are more complicated and a little harder to wrench on.

however, an electric 2wd truck is an excellent platform for a beginner to learn from.....how to drive AND how to wrench.

i'd sugguest that you purchace an electric 2wd truck kit to start out your rc career with. put it together (that's half the fun for alot of people), learn how everything goes together...that way, you'll know how to work on it when the time comes.

as to what to power that electric truck with.....well, that's another thread alltogether......there's brushed motors and then there's brushless. do your homework.

plus, an electric truck will be easier for you to learn to drive with....especially with a good stock motor. a truck is generally more stable on the track than a buggy would be and will help you learn the basics of driving. learn how to drive it with a stock motor in it first, then progress to a modified motor. a good low turn mod motor will get you pretty close to a .12's nitro proformance level.

then, after you learn to wrench and drive, i'd sugguest you jump into the nitro pool's deep end if you're still interested in a gas vehichle. you'll be much better prepared.

as to which kit to buy.....again, there is pretty much two trucks to choose from.....associated's T4 and losi's MF2. go check out what your local hobby shop supports, what the guys at the track drive and what wins at your track. talk to the racers at your track as to what they like and why they drive/buy what they drive/buy. you'll have a much better idea, not to mention more info, to base your purchacing decision on.

i've seen way too many noobs jump in waaaaay over their head and starting out with something that's beyond their skill level for a beginner and not being able to drive it like they want and not knowing how to wrench on it.....only to give up in frustration and quit the hobby/sport before they really give it a chance. remember, everybody has to start somewhere and it's better to learn basics first rather than to jump into something that's more than you bargined for and wind up NOT having fun with it and quitting.

good luck.
Nicely Said

Cheers
Old 02-03-2007, 04:19 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 8 (79%+)

i wish i could have seen this when i first started would have saved me alot!!!
Old 02-03-2007, 08:05 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Well 2wd takes a little more driving ability. Although 4wd will be faster on straights and better handling.
Old 02-03-2007, 08:19 PM
Tech Elite

learn to drive on an electric 2wd. then if you want mroe speed go t o4wd electric or nitro.
Old 02-04-2007, 01:45 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 29 (97%+)

I would start with 2wd nitro. yeah, the learning curve is a little steeper. However, it requires less initial investment to have a good day at the track. An rtr gtg will be competive on the track. The stock setup on an rtr electric won't be though. What makes 2wd nitro so great is that once you get a car and field equipment the only real maintanance is a new engine once every 2 years or so.
Old 02-04-2007, 04:22 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 44 (100%+)

Having never driven a 2WD, I wonder how do u keep the 2WD 1/10 EP buggies front wheels down when u go full throttle?
Seeing that it is RWD and the motor is positioned all the way to the rear, wouldn’t it wheelie (ie front wheel up) at every given opportunity?
Old 02-04-2007, 07:24 PM
Tech Elite

i can say with a 2wd truck they lift up pretty easy. im sure with a buggie its even worse. all throttle.
Old 02-04-2007, 07:32 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 96 (100%+)

Originally Posted by XXXCRRacer
Well 2wd takes a little more driving ability. Although 4wd will be faster on straights and better handling.

4wd is faster , providing the track is smooth, but better handling, no. 4wd buggies are a handfull, not only when on the throttle, but in the turns, in the air, and more so over bumps.
Old 02-04-2007, 08:22 PM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by wyl03
Having never driven a 2WD, I wonder how do u keep the 2WD 1/10 EP buggies front wheels down when u go full throttle?
Seeing that it is RWD and the motor is positioned all the way to the rear, wouldn’t it wheelie (ie front wheel up) at every given opportunity?
The weight of the batteries alone is enough to even out a 2wd electric car in that situation. Although, it sounds like streetracer745 may've been talking about on about any smooth surface. Ofcourse, that's not to say a 2wd electric can't lift up on any offroad track...but that situations pretty rare.
Old 02-04-2007, 08:27 PM
Tech Elite

it does depend on traction. at ym track, traction is easy to get, so it lifts pretty easy. i carry the front down the front straight every lap. haha