R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Old 02-03-2007, 09:11 PM   #16
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber
Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

In all seriousness, even though the SBV2 Pro has a better price, it comes with a performance disadvantage. Anyone who competitively races with this buggy that I have seen has major struggles.

My list of best:

X-Factory X-5 (www.4wdrc.com)
JConcept BJ4

Tamiya 501x (parts can be a problem, price too)
Losi XX-4 WE (Losi has BEST parts availability)
Losi XXX-4 G+ (choice between the 2 depends on track surface)

Needs improvent:
Academy SBV2
Yokomo BX
Frank Root -- TLR Project Manager
Twitter - @FrankRoot FB - facebook.com/FrankRootTLR
Team Losi Racing (TLR) - Team Orion - Spektrum - JConcepts - Horizon Hobby - Stick It 1 - Sticky Kicks - Bradley's Fine Line Designs - liverc.com - OCRC Raceway - Tuning Haus - Pacific Coast Hobbies - RIP
Frank Root is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2007, 09:39 PM   #17
Tech Regular

The SBV2 PRO isnt available yet, and all the struggles with the car have been updated, this will be a hassle free buggy.
PerformanceRC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2007, 09:01 AM   #18
Tech Legend
Trader Rating: 205 (100%+)

The SB V2 vehicle can perform, examples are here:

And I have yet to hear of any of the buggies not having issues come up when they first get out, from the $500 high end down to the $150 low end. Just the nature of things.

The things with the Standard SB V2 is this:
- Its chassis is flexible so you need the graphite upgrade on high bite surfaces. When running it on loose surfaces, It wasn't an issue. I would recommend if you may want to try that new center brace that goes between the top and lower decks if it is avaiable seperately. It could stiffen things up sufficiently.
- The rear droop issue as far as dogbone fallout can be retified with a single oring in each axle, which gives more droop range. Or, you can upgrade to the newer style cvd setup in the rear.
- For those having diff action issues, do not use the stock silicone grease, go with AE diff grease and really pack the diffs.
- The amount of steering using the stock setup is inadequate however more range is there. I corrected this by running a custom center steering link, a few ball studs and a turnbuckle setup and I had too much steering LOL. From what I have heard from the team drivers, you can adjust the linkages and that does the same thing and I believe its an addendum that will come with the SB V2 Pro.
- The plastic shocks should be replaced and the plastic black diaphram is not the right one. This can lead to leaking. Get the clear ones. B4 shocks will work, as well as Academys own teflon shocks.

These issues are not present on the SB V2 Pro other than the silicone grease one I am assuming. But buying a 2.50 bottle of diff grease assuming you get the Pro isn't too much of an issue.

As for why I would not consider the XXX-4, durability has been the main issue I have seen and its handling on the rougher tracks is not what I need which is why I wouldn't not consider it as most of the places I have been too or will race at also run 1/8 scale nitros on it which will leave a blown out surface which the XXX-4 is not best suited for.

Warhead72: The SB V2 Pro based on the improvements that were implemented should provide a very nice race platform. But if at all possible, Its always good to try out different vehicles and see what you like. I got to wheel a variety of vehicles and they all have there pluses and minuses. For me the SB series fit me best. Others may it may be different. Main thing is you enjoy what you bought and race.
< Durango DEX8, DESC410V2, DEX410V5>
< Team Associated RC10B6D>
Cain is offline   Reply With Quote