R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Old 01-28-2007, 06:20 PM   #1
Tech Rookie
Lightbulb Help-Need help choosing my 1/8 Nitro Buggy

I have been out of racing for neally 20 years and when I was racing it was in a 1/10 Kyosho electric off road buggy. I am looking to start racing again and I am going to try a 1/8 nitro offroad this time and I want to be competitive...I won the Australian Nationals 20 years ago so I want to aim at that level again. Any advice for what I should be looking for would be greatly appreciated.
Sharkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2007, 06:56 PM   #2
Tech Champion
Trader Rating: 72 (100%+)

I'll tell you what we always tell new guys. Buy the kit that is best supported in the area that you race. It is easy to take for granted becuase 1/8 buggies are so durable but if something breaks, you might be sidelined for a while. I really like the Losi 8ight but in Austrailia you will probably have fewer choices than us Yanks.

Come on to this forum and ask lots of questions. There is a lot of stuff out there and it gets confusing. Also search around the threads, there is lots of conversation that has taken place that might be of help. Good luck.
"I have no idea what you're talking about, so here's a bunny with a pancake on it's head."

In mind and body, we're all heading towards old age. It is slower to go by bike.
Davidka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2007, 10:24 PM   #3
Tech Elite
Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to WheelNut

Yep, Pancake head Bunny boy there is telling you the truth. Basically just buy what other guys in Australia are running, as well as what your local shops support. As far as to what chassis are good, you just need to look at the Amain from the 2006 worlds, thats your list of what are the competitive cars. Xray, Hobao, Kyosho, Mugen, Hong Nor and Losi are the big 1/8th brands as of right now. Novarossi, OS and RB are the three top brands for engines. Airtronics, KO propo, and Futaba are the top of the food chain for electronics. Tires will of course be determined on a track by track basis, so no real recommendations there, you should be able to figure it out real quick by just talking to two or three racers.
•Brad Comis
WheelNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2007, 11:55 PM   #4
Tech Elite
Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

Most Aussie's normally user the Jammin X1. Whereabouts in Australia are you located?

Drift_Buggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2007, 02:57 AM   #5
Tech Regular

raced the mbx5 prospec all last year and the new team magic m1b shits on it
www.pinehillsdirtracing.com...MUGEN MBX7R with TEKNO V4 conversion.....TEKIN RX8 GEN2 esc HOBBYWING motor 2200kv.....
pitdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2007, 04:01 AM   #6
Tech Master
Send a message via ICQ to Merciless

Originally Posted by pitdog
raced the mbx5 prospec all last year and the new team magic m1b shits on it
I assume that while it's in the "squat position" after breaking the .................
Rear hubs or wishbones

Lets all be honest with the guy here, you can buy any of the TOP cars and be happy with it. We all like things alittle different which is why we all have our favourite car. But to try and rubbish the MUGEN with there track record, well..............makes me think you can't know alot about buggy's.

See what the other guys in your area are racing, thats the best place to start.. After that i'd suggest in no particluar order Losi 8, Mugen MBX-5R, 777 SP2 (any of the releasses are good), Hyper 8, Jammin, TeamMagic,Xray Xb8TQ like i said any of the top buggies really.

Oh if you fancy the Magic i'd wait alittle longer and get the revised kit, It's only got a few issues to be sorted out but might as well have the kit where it's been done.

Personnely i'm running the Mugen 5R and get on with it tremdously well. In fact last weekend was it's maiden race meeting which i WON over a lap ahead of the rest of the field (i'm told it was 2 but there were some transponder problems) which included a MAGIC and an Xray Xb8TQ driven by last years local hero's .......

So in conclusion different people WILL be faster with different cars but i truely believe any of the top cars are good enough to WIN.

A bigger factor at club racing is if you can get set-up help from your buddies and parts easily should you break it. It's all well and good having the fastest car at the meeting but if you can't set it up or repair it after a breakage you might as well have stayed at home
Merciless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2007, 04:21 AM   #7
Tech Master
Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Merciless
Lets all be honest with the guy here, you can buy any of the TOP cars and be happy with it.
slakr is offline   Reply With Quote