Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road
Proper way to setup a 1/8 buggy starter box. >

Proper way to setup a 1/8 buggy starter box.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2007, 09:40 AM

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I tried searching for this, even looking for pics, but I've found nothing useful; and instead of waiting until this weekend when I can see someone at the track I figured I'd post and ask as this might come in handy for someone else later down the road..

How do you setup a starter box?

I am using a OFNA 1/8 Chrome top box. It's obvious how the pegs on the top go together for indexing the car to the box so the starter wheel lines up with the hole in the chassis (I even did it with the engine out.) But the one thing that was unclear was do you turn the pegs so the absolute flat side goes toward the chassis, and when the buggy chassis is on the box it lays flat against the box top - or do you turn the pegs 180 so the chassis sits on the "shelf" of the peg and stays lifted up 10mm off the box deck? Either way appears to work just fine, with the buggy up on the shelf/lip of the pegs however you need to push the box down further for it to engage the flywheel.

Also is it normal that you'd orient the starter motor in such a way that you wire the motor in reverse to start the buggy? (Starting a XRAY XB8) I had to turn the motor parallel with the long side of the box with the rear of the motor toward the front of the box to situate the car so the buggy is sitting square with the top of the box; doing so required the motor to spin the other direction.
Old 01-26-2007, 11:21 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

LOL it's no wonder nobody responded...sounds like you got it! It makes more sense to have the chassis lay flat on the box so you don't have 2 or 4 spots that rub little places on the chassis. If it's working, and real easy to drop on and start(like you're in a rush because the race just started and you had a flame out! ) then you should be good to go. That's odd you have to run the motor backwards, but if it's working...go with it!
Old 01-26-2007, 11:42 AM

Alright, thanks for the clarification, that does make more sense but its nice to be validated.

Now I am not sure I have to run the motor backward, the engine spins counter clockwise, correct? (as if looking from the flywheel side/front side of the engine.) I am orienting the buggy so the back of it is at the front of the box.

I haven't started the engine yet, so I may be doing it in reverse. It will be obvious once I get the flywheel installed which way it should rotate..I thought I remember CCW from my Revo.
Old 01-26-2007, 12:55 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

If you're looking at the starter box from the end that the front of the car sits on, then it should clockwise. I just checked mine, and if I remember corectly, the Xray has the motor on the same side of the car(left side if you're standing behind it and looking donw). Hope that helps, and doesn't confuse you!
Old 01-26-2007, 01:16 PM

Good thing I cleared that up, I'm setting it up to start backward. Thanks.
Old 01-26-2007, 01:36 PM
Tech Prophet

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

Think about getting one of these.

http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...oducts_id/5297

It is the best $20 you can spend on your starter box. The pegs move over time and if you need peopel to start your car for you some people can be confused on to put the car on the pegs. (there are a couple ways to index your car to the box). These plates make it idiot proof which is nice when you are frantically trying to get your car started again during a race!
Old 01-26-2007, 01:38 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Here is a good read that XRC did - http://www.rc411.com/pages/howto.php?howto=28&page=1

Cheers
Old 01-26-2007, 01:49 PM

Here is a good read that XRC did -
Ah yes .. that's what I was looking for! I read that article awhile ago, was looking for the mag yesterday, I didn't think to look at the web site. Awesome. I was thinking the motor and engine would spin the same direction, that's what wasn't clicking in the old nogging. Sometimes regardless of how much you know you need someone to just show you how it's done.

Think about getting one of these.
Yeah I think I will order one, thanks for bringing that up. That will make life much easier, and keep non XRAY people from trying to borrow my box.