R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Old 05-09-2007, 06:54 AM   #16
Tech Champion
Trader Rating: 72 (100%+)

Tapers are not a wet or dry tire, they work very well for both if the dirt is right for them.

As for why ribs are used in front on 2wd vehicles, it's simple. a 2wd buggy/truck places no drive or brake force on the front tires, only lateral loads so a front tire's job is much different from a rear. There is a bunch of voodoo science going on out there and sometimes a tire just works. People will come up with all kinds of theories why but nobody really knows. Knob tires on the front can provide less aggressive/smoother steering on hard surfaces and the opposite on soft surfaces. It's a good idea to talk to the guys that race at your local track. Between all of them they prbably know what the best setup is.
"I have no idea what you're talking about, so here's a bunny with a pancake on it's head."

In mind and body, we're all heading towards old age. It is slower to go by bike.
Davidka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2007, 02:41 PM   #17
Tech Master
Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

you should not need a mod motor to get your car to kick out so you can get it to steer,thats not a fast line,and you can do that with a stock motor anyways.

Tapers work very well on a sticky,dry track,pretty much anything.
Aaron Eide

Wells Fargo Home Team
theanimaleide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2007, 02:48 PM   #18
Tech Elite
Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

Also, ribs offer much less rolling resistance.
Jack Smash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2007, 08:42 PM   #19
Tech Master
Trader Rating: 36 (100%+)

Thanks guys! I discovered that a big part of my pushing problem was that I was using Losi XXXT wheels up fron on my T4. Because of the differences in offset between the wheels for both vehicles, I was getting about 1/3 of the steering throw I am now getting with the correct Associated wheels. I actually had to REDUCE my EPA in both directions because I was getting too much steering!

...and here all this time I thought I was being tricky becuse the Losi wheels has a shallower offset and decreased the front width by 1/3 inch. Boy was that the wrong approach!

Mr.Maim is offline   Reply With Quote