BEST SPEED CONTROLS

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

BEST SPEED CONTROLS

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2007, 01:55 PM
Tech Rookie

when i used to race i always ran tekin, and their new lineup looks promising.

but given what oyu want/need from an ESC, i'd reccomend the mamba max ESC.

the programmability of it is a _VERY_ nice touch. you can even engage reverse for bashing if you want. it cna run sensored or sensorless brushless, and no limit on brushed.

plus, the firmware can always be updated if they ever come out with new features, so long as the circuitry isnt changed or a new ESC doesn't come out.
Old 01-16-2007, 04:27 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

I only run brushed motors... I have used both the LRP Q2 and the Novak GTX and of the two I highly prefer the Novak GTX... I race 2WD stock and 19T offroad and the GTX fells smoother to me, even on the default program.
Old 01-16-2007, 05:41 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by jbrow1
My favorite speed brushed speed control is the LRP Quantum 2. It's tiny and fits in anything nicely.

In my T4 I've been running the novak gtx brushless/brushed speed control with a brushless motor. Had it all this summer and never a problem. I've never ran it with a brushed motor, and was told by a buddy that has to be careful when switching to the brushed program as it can blow it up and the instructions are not very clear. I've not looked to actually see how unclear they are.
The GTX is a brushed ESC only right?
Old 01-16-2007, 06:26 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by annie_himself
The GTX is a brushed ESC only right?
correct, jbrow may have meant a GTB
Old 01-16-2007, 07:01 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

Originally Posted by nwilcox88
correct, jbrow may have meant a GTB
Yes, I meant the Novak GTB.

Thanks for correcting my typo guys : )
That's one thing about the internet, a typo can put out bad/incorrect info to so many people!!
Old 01-16-2007, 09:14 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Probably the Novak GTB for brushless and GTX for brush motors.
Old 01-17-2007, 06:11 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

I had one of the first GTB's when they were releases, I was on back order bumps for like 6 months because it kept getting delayed. I had the 5.5 version and it was WAY too much for a T4 Outdoor offroad truck. It was very punchy which made it hard to control on loose surfaces. It was a pain in the rear going from brushless to brushed. Not the programming but the wiring setup.

I sold that and bought a LRP Sphere with a 2 star motor. Much more controllable with the milder motor. Novak has milder motors too though.

The LRP is a BREEZE to program and to switch between brushed and brushless mode. I had an issue with drag brake when using the LRP in brushed mode. I had to turn the trim way up to where the truck was wanting to lurch forward to get it to roll after letting off the gas. I sent it in the LRP and they insisted nothing was wrong with it and sent it back. it worked fine using that method so I lived with it. The novak never did this. I had the normal sphere just because I wanted the option of having reverse and the ability to lock it out on race day. I dont like the way LRP reversible ESC's almost immediately go into reverse.

Anyway, I sold the LRP and bought another Novak GTB 6.5 and I bought an additional Novak 13.5 "stock" motor for my touring car. I am impressed with some of the improvements Novak made in the brief time with these namely the new on/off switch and the external solder tabs that are easy to use. I'll probably but a Sphere competition controller too when Tower gets them back in stock.
Old 01-17-2007, 07:23 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by jbrow1
Yes, I meant the Novak GTB.

Thanks for correcting my typo guys : )
That's one thing about the internet, a typo can put out bad/incorrect info to so many people!!
Jeff I knew what you meant lol