Wiki Posts
Search

Electric Motor Brushes?

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2007, 08:20 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (71%+)
Default Electric Motor Brushes?

If one brush is wearing unevenly. Is there something wrong with my motor? Should I replace the brushes? Thanks
Old 01-16-2007, 09:13 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Coould be a spring issue. What motor are you running?
Old 01-16-2007, 09:14 PM
Tech Regular

I'm running the Cobalt by Trinity 8x2 turn modified.
Old 01-16-2007, 09:16 PM
Tech Regular

Can I still use the same brushes if I change the springs? Even though they are uneven?
Old 01-16-2007, 10:57 PM
Suspended

your hood is out of line. there is a tool that aligns your brush hood. once it is inline you will not see one brush wore out diff. from the other. once you see that you need to change the brushes also. you will see better performance from your motors when the hoods are inline. it is not a spring issue, unless one is broke.

the way you align your hoods is remove the armature, insert the solid stock rod, slide the aligment tool through the hood where the brushes would go, the replace the hood with the solid stock through the middle of the alignment tool. while doing this the phillips screws in the hood should all be loose so you can align it all then retighten the phillips screws. then re-install the arm new brushes and your ready to go.
Old 01-17-2007, 12:06 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 96 (100%+)

Or, you could just dump all of your brushed motors and all of headaches, and buy a brushless setup.
Old 01-17-2007, 08:21 PM
Team Tekin

The motor brushes are out of alignment. However simply sticking the alignment tool through the two is not the best way. Brushes "cock" in the hoods and this should be compensated for. I'd start with a set of new brushes AND springs. The first set of brushes on T motors usually are very soft and are inconsistent. Use their Lemans compound (silver) and purple springs on both sides. Timing should be set around 14 degrees or so if used in your "yok." What color are the brushes?
Old 01-17-2007, 09:15 PM
Suspended

if you don't start with a properly alligned hood your just wasting money on $12 brushes and $3 springs. also putting a purple on both sides may or may not be the best for your electric motor. just slapping on any ole springs, you may lose torque,high end power, or low end. these motors are alot more capaible today, and you can't just stick anything on them. besides springs will not cause brushes to misalign or wear unevnly. also you may have run your motor to long between rebuilds and that could be why they are uneven. every ten to twelve runs of racing is a good gauge to rebuild your motor and with lemans brushes you can go 15 to 20.
Old 01-18-2007, 12:21 PM
Tech Rookie

You're assuming that the brushes are wearing crooked and not just uneven as far as length goes. Purple's on both sides is a good starting point for that motor. I don't think he's quite into the full motor tuning yet judging by his question. The lemans brushes last well into the 40 run's area regardless of what class. Most of the big T's motors come set up this way. I was assuming he's running this motor in his yokomo judging by his name.
Old 01-18-2007, 01:00 PM
Tech Addict

If the springs are different tensions (as a lot of racers do in stock) then it certainly will cause uneven wear. I do recommend replacing springs every 5 or 6 brush replacements as they lose tension due to heat.
Old 01-18-2007, 03:30 PM
Tech Regular

Yes I was runing a MR-4BX but I'm about to start runinng a ZX-5. I bought some brushes from my LHS today and none of the brushes said Lemans on the packages. Where can I get some Lemans brushes? I did buy some brushes and they say "Spec Brushes" and the others Polarized Brushes-Mod. I know that the Specs are not for off road but are the Polarized Brushes? They're made by Trinity. I went ahead and changed the stock ones to the extras that can with the motor and I changed the springs. Also where can I get the alignment tool?