Community
Wiki Posts
Search

How to unglue..........glue?

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2007, 10:33 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

I'm with mremtr. I just found a plastic ice cream like pail, put the acetone in and put the tires in the pail to soak. Put the lid back on and forget about them for a few hours or so. Some glue works differently and releases differently. The foams will be junk but you can still use the tires and rims. The only tire I know you can't do this with though is Losi Pink compound because it will shrink the tires for some reason. I do it all the time in the summer. Acetone is like $15 or something but it is way cheaper then buying new rims all the time...

Good luck, don't glue your fingers together. Chad
Old 01-14-2007, 01:55 PM
Tech Adept

Where can you buy acetone?
Old 01-14-2007, 02:06 PM
Tech Adept

I think it would be easier to just buy new tires.
Old 01-14-2007, 02:07 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by swannco
Where can you buy acetone?
Wal-Mart.
Old 01-14-2007, 03:44 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by KForce
i am telling you.

put them in the oven @ 325 for 15-20 minutes. they will be completely unglued just pop the rim out.

the rubber does smell for a little bit but nothing that bad. bout like burning chicken on the stove.

kyle

baking tires does indeed work.......however (and that's a big however), baking tires removes some of the oils that are in the tire. the tires WILL BE slightly less elastic than they were before they were baked at 350 degrees.

baking tires changes the composition of the tire somewhat. soaking tires in acetone does the same thing without changing the tire or the rim, or risking oneself to server burns while trying to remove a tire that has been baked freash from the oven.

lowe's or home depot carries acetone in the paint section.
Old 01-14-2007, 03:53 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 47 (100%+)

Ok do you still think I can "bake" this metal piece?
Old 01-14-2007, 11:23 PM
Tech Adept

Default beadlocks

You guys seem like your going through alot of head aches to get those tires off the rims. now suppose you dropped the money for the molded 1/10th foams and then you have to soak the tires in acetone to get the glue to allow the tire to pull off, which by the way you can just take an eydropper and apply enough acetone to pool on the glued area and then let that sit over night and wipe off what is left in the morning and then do the same to the other side.

Otherwise, you could just buy a set of these and not have to worry about glue ever again or worry about damageing your tires.

Associated Front Truck Wheel 3pc Black (2) Part #7840B

Associated Rear Truck Wheel Black 3-Piece (2) Part #7800B

The total price for a full set of 4x is 13.38 before S&H.
Old 01-15-2007, 08:56 AM
Regional Moderator

Default Acetone/tire release

first off the tire/rim does not have to even touch the Acetone. Just the fumes will release the CA.

One easy method to release tires off of rims.
Items needed.
1-5gal bucket with lid.
1-1qt. Acetone

Simply dump the acetone in the bottom of the 5gal bucket. Throw the tires into the bucket and put lid back on. Next day remove the tires from the rims.
I leave a few dead tires in the bottom of the bucket just to keep the rims from getting into the acetone. I found that this keeps the rims in better shape. The acetone will last almost forever due to the fact that it won't be evaparating away.
Note some inserts do not fare well in the acetone. It changes the firmness. So if you are planning to reuse the insert cut it out of the tire first.
Old 01-22-2007, 03:04 AM
Tech Regular

a fibreglass fabricator will sell you some for around $6.00 US a gallon(7.60 AUS)i build fibreglass boats in australia(gold coast)cheap as mate
Old 01-22-2007, 12:36 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

I have used the baking method with great success in the past. Just remember a couple of things:

1. do not leave the tire in the oven longer than 15-20 minutes. It will ruin the tire.
2. like another poster said, you might do this outside in a toaster oven. If you have repeatedly sauced the tires with buggy grip or zip free, the chemicals in those compounds are extremely toxic. When I did this for the first time inside, the fumes set off my poison gas detector.
3. lastly, take a dremel tool with the wire brush and go around the mounting channel in the rim to remove the excess glue leftover from baking. It only takes a couple of minutes and makes the rim like new.

I have not tried the acetone method yet, but I think I will next time.