Wiki Posts
Search

How do you remove the Bearings?

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2007, 06:58 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default How do you remove the Bearings?

Hey guys, I am wondering I want to clean my front wheel. I am wondering whats the best way because i got it muddy. And also whats the best way to remove the bearings in the front wheels to clean the wheels? Is it hard? And also I have some Chain lube for my Pocketbike. I just sprayd some of that on the bearings to help keep them lube for they wont rust. Is that fine? Sorry for the noob questions buy I gotta know how to do it. Also i am wondering what are some other things i should clean because i went in the dirt with my truck. The inside is not muddy just the wheels are and i am cleaning those
Old 01-09-2007, 07:37 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Best way to clean a wheel, tooth brush and then brush in running water, tire is one of those big scrub things that look like an iron with stiff Nylon bristles) soaking in simple green helps. Getting out wheel bearings, like in an electric truck? I just use one of my allen drivers and give a slight tap on the driver with my hand, when it is against the bearingspushing it out. n elctric parts cleaner works well for cleaning these, or you can pull teh shield off and use nitro clean or electric motor cleaner, I have heard of relubing with motor oil, but I would think a dry lbe would be better, like maybe graphite or something. The best way to clean it, depending upon what you are cleaning, is start with a tooth brush (probably the most easily accesable and adept cleaning tool you can own)and brush all the big stuff off, then use diluted simple green to get off the stubborn dirt, then WD40 to polish the carbon/plastic chassis, or if it is aluminum you are done after the simple green. Mind your electrics, the servos are not effected as much, but receivers and speed controls are. If you want to get down and dirty tear it down and clean everything, great for learning your truck better, and a good habit to get into.
HTH
Rod
Old 01-09-2007, 08:00 PM
Tech Regular

Alright thanks. Thats what someone told me in a PM. But yes its a electric truck. Ill get some electric cleaner from my LHS and clean them. And also can i mess the bearings up if i get a mini flathead and pry them out to like pop them out? Also what eles should i worry about cleaning well oiling and stuff? I know the motor but what part of the motor?
Old 01-09-2007, 11:49 PM
Tech Master

I use an allen wrench to get my bearings out, just push down on it, and it will come out easy. No need to pry it out, that is bad.
Rod
Old 01-10-2007, 06:10 AM
Tech Regular

Ya i dont wont to damage them. I dont get what u mean man. The bearings are in the wheels. And I think a allen wrench would be too big. To even fit in the hole..
Old 01-10-2007, 03:16 PM
Tech Addict

You should be able to slide the allen tip through the center of the bearing and push on the inside race of the opposite bearing. It will fall right out. Then flip the wheel over and push out the other bearing.
To clean the bearings just lay them on a towel and spray motor cleaner on them. Flip them over and respray them a couple times. Slide them on the jaw of a small set of needle nose pliers and spin them. This will let you feel if they are clean and wether they have been damaged. If they have a rubber seal you will have to pop it out with a pick. I am no fan of these types of seals. Buy a set with metal shields. This type will actually get faster with age if properly maintained.
To lube them lay them back on the towel and put a drop of oil on the shield and let it soak in. Then flip it over and reapply. Again if it has a rubber shield it will have to be removed. Any machine oil will work. My personal favorite is Dan's Banana Lube.
Old 01-10-2007, 04:54 PM
Tech Master

I have allen drivers, they are like a screw driver, only with allen tips. YOu place the tip of the allen wrench on your beaing, should be a lip available, the one on the bottom, and then push down, this will in no way affect the bearing, prying the bearing out with a pick or a little screwdriver could damage the bearing or the wheel.
|
___|____
-|-
_|_
________
HTH
Rod
Old 01-10-2007, 05:05 PM
Tech Regular

Alright thanks. Ill try the allen wrench way. Stick it in the middle of the bearing and pop it out. And also will some Carb clean work to clean them? Or will that dry them out too bad? Then i will blue them with Chain lube.
Old 01-10-2007, 06:39 PM
Tech Addict

I would not use motorcycle chain lube. That is designed for high load and temperature. It's like syrup. Way too much for these little guys. You want low load high speed stuff. Use a machine oil like anything at your LHS. Go to Meynards and buy Marvel Mystery Oil, or get Dan's it's the best.
Old 01-11-2007, 05:43 AM
Tech Regular

Alight thanks for the good replys. I will get some