R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Old 03-05-2003, 04:18 PM   #1
Tech Initiate
Default Engine Tuning Question

I just bought a Team Losi XXX-NT RTR kit. I just got done breaking in the motor for 5 tanks of fuel. Now that that is done, I need to adjust the engine for normal operation....or in other words, lean it out a bit.

It is set at the factory settings right now.....2.5 turns out on high speed screw and 4 turns out on low speed screw.

If anyone can give me any pointers for how to adjust and what to adjust.....I would greatly appreciate it.

I am at 100 feet above sea level, and it is pretty darn cold out right now....about 30-40 degrees.

I read the instruction manual, but I don't want to start messing things up without really knowing what I am doing.

Thanks in advance for any help!

six60grizzly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2003, 05:37 PM   #2
Tech Elite
Default Engine Tuning Question

Always Start with the High Speed needle as it effects the TOTAL fuel flow to the Carb. Imagine the screwdriver slots in the needles like the hour hand on a clock. So your adjustments would be divided in segments of 12. With this in mind, make small adjustments to the HS needle 1-2 hours at a time. Run the Car/Truck for a few minutes and judging by the performance and Cylinder Head Temperature, adjust accordingly. A drop of water on the top of the cylinder head should take 3-4 seconds to sizzle off and no less or your too lean. Clockwise is leaner, Counter Clockwise is richer.
After your satisfied with the Top end performance adjust the low speed needle. The engine should idle for about 30 seconds without loading up or stalling. Same adjustment proceedures apply here too. To test the low speed needle setting. Pinch the fuel line close to the Carb and the engine should just slightly rise in RPM then stall. If I stalls with no rise then open (richen) the low speed by 1 hour at a time until it's right.

Hope this offers some help,
popsracer is offline   Reply With Quote