R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Old 01-07-2007, 09:40 PM   #1
Tech Apprentice
Default Orion 4800 Lipo problems.. voltage fluctuating...

I just raced today and found something odd when charging my lipo packs.. I use an ICE charger and normally it hits 8.4V and stays there while the charge amps go down to nil and the battery gets full. Today however, one of my packs hit 8.4 volts then spiked at 8.5, then proceeded to drop to 8.2, then back to 8.4 and continually did this... the charger seemed confused and tried to rase and lower the voltage. I tried charging my other pack and it peaked fine. I then used it and recharged it... now that pack is doing the same thing....

Is this a sign that the packs are not equalized? If so, does Orion or any other manufacturer produce one specifically for the Orion 4800??

Or do you think my ICE charger is acting up??? I don't see any buldging of the packs or discoloration, and I still could pull wheelies with my Buggy down the straight when I pulled it off the track (The voltage according to the ICE charger never has gone below 7 volts.) so I think I didn't over discharge them.... very odd.

I store my lipos in a fireproof container at home, so I think I'm okay there... I'll check the voltage tomorrow and maybe try and repeak one at home and see if the problem still occurs.... I'd be greatful for any suggestions...I really don't want to go back to Nimhs
Justinian, Emperor and Roman God of Barrel-Rolls and Broken Parts...
-Tamiya Evo V
-CRC T-Fource
-Losi XXX-S
-Darkside I-Force 10th scale pan car (under construction)

-Associated B4, T4
-Losi XXX-CR, XXX-4

"Evil will always triumph over good, because good is dumb!" :
-Dark Helmet, master of the Dark Side of the Shwartz......
Justinian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2007, 09:53 PM   #2
Tech Elite
Trader Rating: 41 (100%+)

It's no big deal, just let it charge. They go up and down slightly...when they go up, the current drops, when it goes down, the current increases...just let it go.
Turbo Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2007, 11:58 AM   #3
Tech Master
Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

The graph should be very smooth. Wiggle your set-up arouind and it may show up some typical bad / dirty connections.
gulio is offline   Reply With Quote