R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Old 03-05-2003, 11:31 AM   #1
Tech Rookie
Default Venom Gauge vs Raytek IR Gun

I'm looking at ways to monitor engine temp as I break-in my first nitro. I've heard the Venom onboard temp gauge is good because it can display the highest, lowest, and current temps. Also heard the Raytek IR gun is good because its very accurate - its only drawback is you can't temp the engine unless you pull your truck in.

Raytek users point out the onboard gauges aren't as accurate.
Venom/MIP users say the Raytek will miss a temp peak that occured out on the track.

My main goal is to avoid leaning out too much during break-in. I'll eventually want to lean out for performance, but that's a secondary concern.

Anyone have any recommendations? What do you use? Thanks.
hydro_gin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2003, 03:05 PM   #2
Tech Apprentice

Either would be good. I have the MIP temp gaige. Some will tell you that the gun is more acurate, but the gun and gauge read different places on the head, so your readings may be different. I like the gauge because I don't have to reach for the gun when I check the temp, I just look down at the gauge. I run my engines at about 260 to 270 after break-in, with the body on without any problem. Your temp will vary depending on weather and how hard you run your engine, but it should be in a 15 to 20 degree range.
nitro dipstick is offline   Reply With Quote