R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Old 12-29-2006, 04:34 PM   #1
Tech Rookie
Default Newbie questions about Kyosho Kanai - HELP!

Sorry about the uber-noob questions... I've spent hours searching for this info, but haven't found it. I just bought this Kyosho Kanai used from a friend of a friend. The problem is, I don't know exactly what it is, and I need to buy some parts... like tomorrow!

Questions are: He said the car is a "kanai1". I assume he meant Kanai Edition 1. So, is the first edition Kanai an Inferno? Is it an MP7.5 or an MP777? He says it was a Kanai kit that he's added some upgrades to, but put the engine and radio gear from a Kyosho RTR in it... I've been out of R/C cars for about 15 years now, so I have NO IDEA what this car is!

I'm wanting to buy some tires, wheels, a body, and some other things, but I need to know exactly which car this is before I can order the parts. Help?

Here are some pics:

Sharad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2006, 09:23 PM   #2
Tech Addict

firstly......all of the mp7.5 series cars, including the rtr , the inferno kit and all of the kanai edition I, II and III kits, are infernos. there's just different editions/versions of it.

however, i hate to be the bearer of bad news, but it's not a kanai...it appears to me to be just a plain ole mp 7.5 inferno rtr. it looks like someone has put kanai shock springs on it, and kanai rims, but the rest of it looks to be a stock inferno rtr. does it have a blue chassis? it looks like it does, and if so, it's the rtr. the original rtr came with black shock springs on it too. i'm not totally sure, but that looks to be the original rtr motor that it comes with, but that doesn't look like the original header/pipe. the pipe i'm thinkin' it came with was a two piece pipe that came apart in the middle and you could take out the baffle that was in it and get a little more ummph out of that rtr motor.

have no fear though.....it's raceable as a rtr and veeeeery upgradable to kanai specs. kanai parts are a direct fit. everything from any kanai kit will fit on your rtr. if your going to race it, keep in mind that it has it's weak spots. the shock shafts being number one on the replacement list. steering bearings should be on the upgrade list as well as a better steering servo. the thottle servo, while not being the best, works fine as is. the best advice i think i could offer is......race it, learn from it, and after awhile, sell it and buy a better buggy.
Losi 22
Losi 810-e
B&T R/C - http://b-treman-rc.valp.net/btrchome.htm

Last edited by dirtracer1; 12-29-2006 at 10:11 PM.
dirtracer1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2006, 11:33 PM   #3
Tech Addict

yeah totaly. good one for picking that out dirt racer1 i have a kanai but has jt upgrades and firioni chassis the kanai's have a alluminium rear chassis brace dont they? and upgraded shafts etc can you tell me this? would a kanai car with jt upgrades be equivelant to a kanai 3? keeping in mind it has a firioni chassis. or would the jt upgrades be just for a kanai 1 im not sure on this...
downunder23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2006, 05:07 AM   #4
Tech Rookie

hi I have one of these exactly the same actually I am selling it now,but to answer some of your questions the guy who posted first looks spot on as its a MP 7.5 sports rtr, nothing wrong with that! it also looks like your mate has replaced the tie rods on the front you can see they are gold and thats not standard for the 7.5. might be a good idea to see what fuel your friend was running 10/15/20%??then get it tuned up and you should be ready to go.as for spares you can get the clutch upgrade to a kyosho KC45 which is a carbon 2 shoe clutch and hardend spring as my spring went pretty early on , then start getting your hop ups like maybe white hard springs/front and rear swing shafts/stabilizer bar front and rear/metal steering servo digital/check you bearing you may need new ones?also I broke my pull start so watch that,then you have all the alloy hop ups which start getting $$$$ but are better wearing and look very nice!to get spares I shop at www.amainhobbies.com click on 7.5.here r some photos of my new buggy with some hop ups.
Attached Thumbnails
Newbie questions about Kyosho Kanai - HELP!-cimg4015.jpg   Newbie questions about Kyosho Kanai - HELP!-cimg4017.jpg  
aussies1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2006, 07:08 AM   #5
Tech Rookie

Thanks a lot guys!! That's pretty much what I thought... I mean, he told me it had a torsion diff, but I think it plainly looks like a factory diff. (and feels like one) I figured he was pulling my leg a little bit on what the car actually is. But for what I paid for it, it'll serve the purpose. This is my first nitro car. I plan to use it to get back into the swing of things. I was planning on buying an MP777, a Mugen, or a Jammin buggy this summer after I put a few gallons through this car. Since I was leaning toward the Kyosho, I figured this would be a good starter car.

Once again, I REALLY appreciate the help! BTW, that's a good looking car aussies1!!
Old 12-30-2006, 12:14 PM   #6
Tech Champion
Trader Rating: 27 (97%+)
Send a message via AIM to MADMAN23

there a guy that still races with a inferno 6.0 and dose pretty good.. so i would keep it...
MADMAN23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2006, 02:02 PM   #7
Tech Initiate

Did you pull the front or rear diffs out of the housings and look at them? I know the Kanai series used TCD diffs but not all three. The II used them front and rear and the III only used them in the front (I think).

But yeah... looks like the RTR. Should be fun to race.
dahlelama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2006, 07:50 PM   #8
Tech Rookie

I have not taken the diffs out. I've just done some minor tweaking. Turns out the fuel he gave me was bad. I put some new fuel in it today and I'd swear it picked up 5-10mph! It spins the tires out of the hole on asphalt. I'm starting to like this nitro stuff!

The current plan is to mess with the carb a little bit in the off season, to get used to adjusting it for different conditions. I'll probably take the car to the track when I can be by myself... I kind of feel like throttle control with a nitro car takes a little more finesse than the electric stuff I'm used to. (maybe the car just needs a better tune!)

Anyway, I'm hoping to have the cash for a new setup before the racing season starts, but here in southern kentucky, the weather could be nice by February! Oh well, I'll cross my fingers and see what happens.

Thanks again for all of the help!!
Old 12-31-2006, 08:33 AM   #9
Company Representative
R/C Tech Charter Subscriber
Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

Your more than welcome to bring that buggy up to Golfland when the season starts and run it....

There is always guys there to help when you need it.

TnT-Fx Custom Graphics
Tres is offline   Reply With Quote