Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Losi Xxx-4 Buggy

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2003, 09:22 AM
Tech Initiate

Default Losi Xxx-4 Buggy

I woundering what everyone thinks of the XXX-4? I have seen alot of problems with parts breaking. Is the buggy worth it and is this class going to be strong or a hit or miss? Also has anyone herd of the new parts made of Stifezel? What is it and is it better?

Last edited by Fatman; 02-28-2003 at 01:03 PM.
Old 02-28-2003, 12:29 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

To answer all your question is short; yes it's great. I've had one since they first came out. The original problem with weak front a-arms and shock towers is gone. Yes the car will still break if you hit something hard, just like any car. But I haven't had any problems lately and the car is BLAST to drive!
Not sure about class size in you area, but our outdoor season is about to start and there is already 6 or 7 XXX-4's in town, plus some XX-4's still around. We're really hoping to get enough out to have stock class or 19 spec class as well as modified.
take care
john
Old 03-01-2003, 09:10 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Well -- I've also had one since they first came out, and I LOVE mine... I've certainly had my share of problems, but they were from a combination of things...

Even though I've been racing R/C since '89, my offroad has all been Stock Buggy and Stock truck (XXX and XXXT currently). I was not prepared for the big learning curve the XXX4 presented, and I gave it a lot of abuse ("lawn darts" on the doubles, etc.). Initially I went through a lot of front A-arms, some were the first production run (they broke like they were made of glass), and some were just "normal" breakage. I replaced the original shock towers with graphite before I ever hit the track and I've never had a problem there. My worst disaster was when a racer got turned around and was going BACKWARDS about 2/3rds of the way down a straight, and I hit him head on at full throttle -- that one broke the chassis (tore the front bulkhead flanges off the front of the "tunnel"), but LOSI replaced that as a "warranty" issue...

As I learned to handle 4wd and Modified power better, the breakage went WAY down. I ran 3 weeks with NO breakage, then broke one A-arm in a wreck (might have broken an arm on ANY car). Since then, I've run 4 straight weeks with NO breakage. Last race night, I was on the pole of the B-main, won that, bumped up to the A-main and finished 3rd...

One "funny" thing is that, after trying all the "trick" chassis setups everyone is posting on the 'net, my current best setup is 99% "kit" -- the only change is a .055" rear sway bar. Heck I've even gone back to the kit tires! To me, that says that LOSI has done a very good job of engineering this kit!
Old 03-01-2003, 10:15 PM
Tech Initiate

Default Thanks tfrahm

Thanks for the feed back. I'm starting to feel better about buying one. You said you had a sway bar on it would you by any chance you know the part #'s. I have also found out the kit set up seems to work very well with some small ADJ. Good luck racing.
Old 03-02-2003, 09:56 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

tfrahm that's great. I ran 4wd's from about 1986-88, Schumachers mostly. The new XXX4 is a lot better than those old cars! My son and I haven't broke hardly anything lately. He did break a front arm this weekend in nasty move where he tried to move the wall back. The wall didn't move.
I hit a hole or something on the straight a way at full throttle that send my tumbling and cart wheeling for what seemed like forever and I drove away with nothing broke. I'm convinced their pretty bullet proof now.
Our weather has finally lighten up and we're getting run outdoors on the big track again. The car was a blast indoors, but man it flies on a big outdoor track!
Still a little bit more twitchy than I like, but not bad. I'm running the stock setup also after going through about every different setup posted on the web. I did like the setup Losi has posted for Jukka, but the car was just too soft for big big jumps. I haven't tried it outdoors but will. I think it will be more forgiving.
take care
john
Old 03-03-2003, 10:49 PM
Tech Regular

Dude. I run my xxx-4 with a 9 turn. The track owner says its the "Fastest car heas ever seen on a track" I love that thing. One thing I did because the shock towers snap easily. Is get longer screws and double up on the shock towers. It basicly makes the indestructable. The car is one of the fastest cars I have ever driven. I tried a stock in it but seemed so boaring. So I had to bust out the 9 turn. I can push that car so hard and it takes it like a BMW or something. Setups are pretty ez on this car to tune. The stock setup is a little soft but springs fix that. I bought mine last month, and its been one of the best investments I ever made.
Losi did one hell of a job making this buggy