Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road
Question on nitro break-in >

Question on nitro break-in

Question on nitro break-in

Old 12-24-2006, 07:35 AM
Tech Regular

Default Question on nitro break-in

I just bought a TNX 5.2R. My T-Maxx was getting too old and I was thinking of getting the new T-Maxx 3.3 or Revo 3.3 mainly bcos of easy start system and reverse gear. My second choice was actually Savage X. But my LHS had TNX 5.2R on sale at a very low price so I decided to take the plunge with tamiya. My question is on break-in. When I opened the brand new TNX from the box (totally new & unopened before), the first thing I checked was what is the stock factory setting of the needle valve. It was 3 and 1/4 turns. The instructions say to turn the needle valve 1/2 turn counter-clockwise for break-in. My LHS said to turn it out 3/4 turns. So to be safe I turned it out 3/4 turns. So that makes it 4 turns total. But according to the manual, the factory setting is suppose to be 4 turns out. So I am confused now. Should the break-in be done with 4 turns, or 4 & 3/4 turns? And why was the factory setting at 3 & 1/4 turn when it came out of the box? Did the factory do some preadjustment and is different for every engine?

Thanks for your comments. Sorry for asking such a noob question, but it has been many years since I broke-in my last engine on my T-Maxx.
Old 12-24-2006, 07:40 AM
Tech Rookie

I would go 4 1/4 turn out then and then you can adjust from there, I always run about a 1/2 tank on th stand to adjust for running but you will get a 100s other answer. mabe this will help.