Wiki Posts
Search

share your driving tips here

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2006, 10:25 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)
Default share your driving tips here

I returned to racing this year after a very long break and have been learning tips as I go. For example over the last 3 weeks I have picked up tips from other drivers that have dropped my fast lap time by .7 seconds.

Tips I learned recently (as with all techniques they work only in certain circumstances) try them and look at your lap times to see if they are a positive or negative. I race mostly 1\10 electric but these should work for most off-road.
----------------------------------------------------------------
Turn your wheels in the air to setup for the approaching turn when you land the car is already turning.
Turn up the face of a jump into a tight corner this can land the car at a better angle for the next turn.
Try to downside most jumps
Land jumps on throttle or brake for different effects
If the car is pushing letting off briefly then get back on throttle can tighten up the turn.
hitting the throttle in the air can bring the front up and hitting the brake will drop the front.
you do not have to square up to all jumps some are better if you take the diagonally or at other angles. Experiment.
Tips byjfc_tech ----
drive crazy fast during qualification. Put everything in your power to get higher ranking in the qualifying

Drive conservatively during the main final. Fast but careful. Good for 45mins to 1 hour final----
tips by AndyMoore and MarkieMark231----
Not wrecking is the single most important thing you can do.
Secondly, in practice, run a middle of the track line and then tighten it up as you feel more comfortable. This will give you a feel for both "the line" and what its like outside of the line(in case you need to make a pass there), while keeping parts breakage and wrecks down.----
tips by Scrubb-----
Drive slow enough to stay in the fast line. You can only turn brake or accelerate when your tires are on the ground - so keep jumping to a minimum. It’s easier to drive fast 1 foot away from the pipes, than it is to drive accurate 1 inch away from the pipes. -----
by XXXCRRacer
On a new track I will overview the track first before the car hits the track. I start a few laps slowly, and then I will progressively get faster, in between learning the lines of the track. Once I learned the lines then I drive to my full potential.
by SCUBA STEVE
Walking the track during down time is a good idea.... you'll see alot of bumps and ruts and so on that you did not notice from the drivers stand
by golfinglenn
One of the best tips is to watch the faster drivers and see what lines they are using. You can also see how they are taking the jumps (double-single, triple, etc).
by Crim3Wav3
#1 Rule: cornering is where to gain time.

In sedan, if you drive hard through the corner, you are scrubbing speed. Lifting (off the throttle) just before the turn to load the front tires will allow you to carve through the turn and stay on the line.

In 1/8th, the same is true. If you are prone to gassing it in the corners and shooting huge roost, you’re killing yourself.
by bobf24
pass to the inside when ever possible, this is especially important for the first turn of the first lap, if there is a crash, it will always move to the outside because of centrifugal force, so if you are on the outside, the crash will swallow you up, if you are inside, the crash will move outside and your line will more often than not open up for you,
if you can't make a certain jump or part of a track, your better off not doing it, rather than keep trying it, even if its faster to do it, for the amount of time you save for the 2 out of 5 times you can make it, the time you loose the 3 out of 5 times is going to be at least double,
another thing I’ve found, when you get out to a big lead in a main, don’t slow down, keep going at your fast pace, otherwise if you have a problem, it can be really hard to get back into that fast rhythm and make the time back up,
another tip I remember reading from Matt Francis, always try to chase down the next car in front of you, no matter if that car is 20 laps behind you, its easier to be fast if you are chasing someone, than leading someone,
by MonkeyWrench
Try this sometime and see what you'd prefer. Most people drive with the middle portion of their pointing finger on the trigger. "Finger wrapped around the throttle". Try using just the very tip of your finger on the throttle, you'd be surprised at how much more precise the feel of the car is and also your reactions will be faster with less movement of the finger. I have switched back and fourth depending on how I am doing in a race. And I agree with the others that less time in the air is more ground covered. Try to backside every jump and keep your momentum up through the corners. Oh and keeping it on the tires helps a bunch too
by sandrixx
and in really loose, dusty track try doing the "tap-tap-tap" on the gas while turning rather than pulling it hard and having spinouts
by Nay0k
If you believe you are faster than the leader, wait for an opening. Nobody is a perfect driver, and a mistake will eventually let you see an opportunity of a pass by this. It'd probably be less costly than an aggressive pass, seeing as those have the tendency to cause mistakes.
by Pull_My_Finger
learn the tendencies of the other drivers.
Some guys will not budge an inch if you make an inside move on them. These are mostly the inexperienced drivers and the results are usually a tangle-up. A good driver realizes when you got them on the inside and will allow enough room for both cars to clear a turn. Likewise do the same if you are getting passed. Once someone gets their nose in beside, it will benefit both of you to let him go on through. If you fight him for the turn you may get lucky and come out without a crash, but if you get tangled up you’re not going any where until the marshal gets there.
----------------------------------------------------------------by Jack Smash
Learn to squeeze the trigger slowly. The tap-tap-tap method is horrible for vehicle dynamics (however it is better than uncontrollable wheel spin).
*by cmain*try both I have seen the wheelers use the tap method with great results but most of the time squeezing the trigger works better experiment to find what works on your track.
If you have a tip that works please post it.

I will add new tips as they come in so keep them coming

Last edited by cmain; 12-22-2006 at 09:23 AM.
Old 12-19-2006, 10:44 PM
Tech Adept

I have one...DON'T CRASH!!
Old 12-19-2006, 10:53 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

just from my short nitro offroad experience.. i would say:

1)drive crazy fast during qualification. put everything in your power to get higher ranking in the qualifying

2)Drive conservatively during the main final. fast but careful. good for 45mins to 1 hour final.
Old 12-19-2006, 11:13 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 64 (100%+)

Originally Posted by MarkieMark231
I have one...DON'T CRASH!!

Werd. Im not an "pro" but I can get around a track. Not wrecking is the single most important thing you can do. Secondly, in practice, run a middle of the track line and then tighten it up as you feel more comfortable. This will give you a feel for both "the line" and what its like outside of the line(in case you need to make a pass there), while keeping parts breakage and wrecks down.
Old 12-20-2006, 05:27 AM
Tech Fanatic

Drive slow enough to stay in the fast line. You can only turn brake or accelerate when your tires are on the ground - so keep jumping to a minimum. Its easier to drive fast 1 foot away from the pipes, than it is to drive accurate 1 inch away from the pipes. The laws of physics applies to everything equally, go read a book on how to race a full size car, the only difference is the point of view. I suggest "think to win, a new approach to fast driving" by Don Alexander.
Old 12-20-2006, 06:57 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Slow is fast!
Old 12-20-2006, 10:12 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

On a new track I will overview the track first before the car hits the track. I start a few laps slow, then I will progressively get faster, in between learning the lines of the track. Once I learned the lines then I drive to my full potential. Then lastly I start my race.
Old 12-20-2006, 10:42 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 89 (99%+)

Walking the track during down time is a good idea .... you'll see alot of bumps and ruts and so on that you did not notice from the drivers stand
Old 12-20-2006, 11:39 AM
Tech Regular

One of the best tips is to watch the faster drivers and see what lines they are using. You can also see how they are taking the jumps (double-single, triple, etc).

I also have some of my friends that are faster take my truck for a spin and get feedback from them on set-up.
Old 12-20-2006, 12:28 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Here's something for every offroader scale crowd:

Don't just drive 1/8th scale. Try driving Touring stock or 1/12 stock. This will teach you one HUGE rule.

#1 Rule: cornering is where to gain time.

In sedan, if you drive hard through the corner, you are scrubbing speed. Lifting (off the throttle) just before the turn to load the front tires will allow you to carve through the turn and stay on the line.

In 1/8th, the same is true. If you are prone to gassing it in the corners and shooting huge roost, youre killing yourself.

Have you ever seen Drake drive? Watch the Neo video and you'll see he pretty much rolls every corner and then jumps hard on the gas. out of the trun. Totally in control through the turns. Perfect.
Old 12-20-2006, 01:02 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

pass to the inside when ever possible, this is esspecially important for the first turn of the first lap, if there is a crash, it will always move to the outside because of cintrifigal force, so if you are on the outside, the crash will swallow you up, if you are inside, the crash will move outside and your line will more often than not open up for you,

if you can't make a certain jump or part of a track, your better off not doing it, rather than keep trying it, even if its faster to do it, for the amount of time you save for the 2 out of 5 times you can make it, the time you loose the 3 out of 5 times is going to be at least double,

another thing i've found, when you get out to a big lead in a main, dont slow down, keep going at your fast pace, otherwise if you have a problem, it can be really hard to get back into that fast rythym and make the time back up,

another tip i remeber reading from Matt Francis, always try to chase down the next car in front of you, no matter if that car is 20 laps behind you, its easier to be fast if you are chasisng someone, than leading someone,
Old 12-20-2006, 01:04 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Originally Posted by bobf24
pass to the inside when ever possible, this is esspecially important for the first turn of the first lap, if there is a crash, it will always move to the outside because of cintrifigal force, so if you are on the outside, the crash will swallow you up, if you are inside, the crash will move outside and your line will more often than not open up for you,

another thing i've found, when you get out to a big lead in a main, dont slow down, keep going at your fast pace, otherwise if you have a problem, it can be really hard to get back into that fast rythym and make the time back up,

another tip i remeber reading from Matt Francis, always try to chase down the next car in front of you, no matter if that car is 20 laps behind you, its easier to be fast if you are chasisng someone, than leading someone,
all very true and very good points
Old 12-20-2006, 03:43 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Supermaxx, You missed something, When Cold Wear PANTS!!!
Old 12-20-2006, 07:26 PM
Tech Apprentice

Try this sometime and see what you'd prefer. Most people drive with the middle portion of their pointing finger on the trigger. "Finger wrapped around the throttle". Try using just the very tip of your finger on the throttle, you'd be surprised at how much more precise the feel of the car is and also your reactions will be faster with less movement of the finger. I ve switched back and fourth depending on how I am doing in a race. And I agree with the others that less time in the air is more ground covered.Try to backside every jump and keep your momentum up through the corners. Oh and keeping it on the tires helps a bunch too..
Old 12-20-2006, 07:41 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

if your car goes vertical(sideways) while in the air,,, squeeze the trigger to almost WOT,,., it'll bring your car to horizontal position just before landin'.

and in really loose, dusty track try doin the "tap-tap-tap" on the gas while turning rather than pulling it hard and having spinouts..

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.