Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road
Electric Monster Truck for newbie >

Electric Monster Truck for newbie

Old 02-28-2003, 02:50 PM
Tech Rookie

What's the best electric monster truck out there that doesn't cost a lot and will get me into RC Cars. I wanted a nitro street car but everyone I've talked to tells me it'd be way to hard to handle for a first timer. So I'm going to try monster trucks. I saw the E-maxx but I have no idea what it costs and it seems a bit much. I'd like one with Reverse, but if not oh well. I just wanted to know what everyone thinks would be a good starter. Thanks.

P.S. Links to sites would be great as well.
Old 03-01-2003, 09:33 PM
Tech Adept

i say for sure get the e-maxx. it cost around 330 and it does have reverse. it is pretty fast stock and the twin 550s put out alot of power. i say go for the emaxx. my 2 cents, mike
Old 03-01-2003, 09:35 PM
Tech Adept

o here r some links that are pretty helpful,

http://maxxtraxx.com/

http://traxxas.com/

i forgot to mention that there are many hopups available for the maxx and most hobby shops carry parts for it.
Old 03-02-2003, 09:16 AM
Tech Rookie

Have you looked into the Traxxas Stampede.. Its alot cheaper than the Maxx, about half as much..

http://www.traxxas.com/products/elec...x_stampede.htm

Tower Hobbies Traxxas Stampede RTR w/Radio (Mechanical Speed Control)
Traxxas Stampede RTR w/Radio & ESC
Traxxas E-Maxx RTR w/Radio
Old 03-07-2003, 10:34 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 70 (100%+)

Guys before buying MAILORDER always and I mean ALWAYS try and buy LOCAL 1st.You dont know how bad it makes you look taking TOWERS or other mailorder's product into your local shop and asking for FREE help when you didnt even BUY there.
If the price is $229.99 at tower then figure Shipping as well.Bringing it to like $245.00 or so.Offer your shop $250.00 tax included for theirs and be very nice and explain to him that you would rather SUPPORT him than Mailorder.This helps for any questions you might have later,cause NOW they are more than willing to help.
The Traxxas Ruslter is a Stadium type truck and very nice for the money.Next is the Stampede.Bigger Monster truck style and great quality products and the BEST Customer support in the U.S.
Les
Old 03-12-2003, 01:32 PM
Tech Rookie

I don't think I would suggest an E-Maxx for a beginner RC. I would recommend the Stampede. Parts are cheaper, it's more durable, and more basic (all the better to help you understand how everything works).

As far as having reverse, this isn't a feature that is truck-specific. It's ESC specific. The stock ESC that comes with the Stampede (if you buy the RTR w/ the ESC) has reverse.
Old 03-12-2003, 03:39 PM
Tech Rookie

actually Pedes break 10X than a e-maxx, maxxs(including t-maxxs) r made to take a pounding IMO they r the 2nd most durable next to 1/8 buggys, and they hav SOOOOOO many upgrades for e-maxxs its unbelivable, I would get a maxx over a pede anyday or I would just buy a BUggy and work
Old 03-12-2003, 11:11 PM
Tech Rookie

I can't really speak for your experience . . . however, I own an EPede, I have a friend with a TMaxx. We hooked up twice with the express purpose of bashing around. Both times he's been unable due to some problem or another.

Talking to the folks on the Traxxas boards, it would seem many people have both the EPede and the EMaxx . . . those that do, say that their Pede is generally the least likely to break down.

While the Maxx certainly gets more aftermarket attention, the Pede is definitely not ignored. Carbon Fiber chassis, brass tubing roll cages, all parts available in various color schemes of either plastic or aluminum . . . and so and so forth.
Old 03-13-2003, 05:17 AM
Tech Rookie

Yeah but a pede is slow Im just kindin I've seen some guy put brushless in a pede and it could do a flip off the ground and land on its wheels so If you got a pede put a nice motor, oh one more thing maxxs hav TITANIUM roll chages lol they like parked a car on one and it didnt break thats tough
Old 03-13-2003, 08:58 AM
Tech Rookie

You wanna know my honest opinion? I would choose PLASTIC over titanium ANY day of the week. When titanium is stressed (granted, it takes more), it SNAPS. Plastic . . . bends and gives.

E-Pede vs T-Maxx

That's NOT a brushless Pede.
Old 03-13-2003, 04:21 PM
Tech Rookie

Maybe if u droped titanium off a big cliff it would bend otherwise not, plastic snaps more than gives If you put titanium on a car go 30 run into a tire of a care I gaurente the titanum would be fine un lit plastic which would probaly break everything on it plus Titanium is much better looking so car sexy and super stronge what could be that other than sex
Old 03-22-2003, 03:05 PM
Tech Regular

I'd recomend the stampede.

It is smaller then the e-maxx and cheaper.
Old 03-23-2003, 10:39 PM
Tech Adept

I've raced and won monster truck races using my emaxx. Some races even included stock T-Maxxes w/ TRX-15 and I'd have to say, the emaxx held up well. If you're a beginner, the only downside I can think of owning an Emaxx is that you'd need 2 batts to run it. It won't be a prob if your charger can charge multiple batts simultaneously.

Once you have an emaxx, I think you'll be well satisfied with it. Have mine for more than a year and still enjoy this monster truck... and parts are aplenty. I think its $299 at tower