Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road
opinions on engine >

opinions on engine

opinions on engine

Old 12-23-2006, 10:59 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)
Default opinions on engine

I have purchased a mach 427.Any opinions or experiences with this engine would be greatly appreciated.It has the losi spinstart,engine is brand spankin new and came out of a losi 8.
Thanks,
Mike
Old 12-23-2006, 05:08 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Since you own it why not try it and form your own opinion.

It's from an RTR so how good can it be? I've seen the Losi RTRs run and it isn't too bad of an engine, seen many better and seen many worse.
Old 12-24-2006, 08:33 AM
Tech Champion

If you break it in right, and tune it well, it'll haul ass...USE IT!
Old 12-24-2006, 09:00 AM
Tech Addict

Thanks.
Arecee,i will use it.If i wanted a what i consider a smart aleck remark i would have scraped...........ah,nevermind.I will form my own opinion.As you can read from the post,i was also asking for one's experience with the engine and maybe some tips.
10-4 on the break in r40.I'll do that.The engine will not be put into any of my vehicles as of right now.My engines are doing just fine.I bought it as my next engine when one of the dudes i got now gives up.For the price i could not pass it up.I am debating whether to use it in my Savage or my Hyper 7 Pro.Our club down here has no engine restrictions.
Mike
Old 12-24-2006, 12:13 PM
Tech Addict

i don't have any experiences with the motor, but then again, i've never heard anyone say anything bad about it either. if i'm not mistaken i think in this months car action, there's a review of the losi 8 rtr with that motor in it. losi also uses that same motor in a couple of other vehicles too. google some reviews for it. i'm sure there's some out there in cyber space somewhere. good luck with it.
Old 12-24-2006, 12:47 PM
Tech Elite

No offense intended but in my opinion the time to ask for opinions about an engine is before you buy it, not afterwards.

Like I've said it's a good RTR engine and will keep up to most others if you break it in and tune it well.
Old 12-24-2006, 03:05 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

i had that motor in my lst2 and it was good, it was easy to tune and held a tune well, the only thing i noticed is it didnt last as long as some motors i got 3 gallons out of mine till it quit but for the price it is hard to beat imo good luck with it
Old 12-24-2006, 07:00 PM
Tech Addict

Talking

was this engine always offered as an rtr?i am a bit confused by arecees comment.if say,hpi was to make a new savage or onroad "rtr"and it came witha nova motor,does that make nova a "rtr" engine also?lol.Seems like mach motors have been around too long to be considered an "rtr"engine.
Old 12-25-2006, 06:25 AM
Tech Elite

The "Mach" engine line is made by Dynamite which is owned by Horizon Hobbies as is Losi. Losi included the dynamite engines in their RTR vehicles under the Mach title but now use Team Losi to give it a bit more panache, it's still the same bargain engine.

Now I never said that Dynamite makes/sells bad engines, it's just that they occupy the lower niche of the market. I've seen a national class driver bring his Losi XXX-NT into the winners' circle many times using a Dynamite (he was sponsored by them) but you have to remember that those are throw away engines for him and he gets fresh ones quite often. We would joke often about how his sub-$100 engine would spank the field of Novarossis and OS (I was using Fantoms which is another bargain line of engines made by Toki). The neat part was that the lower power output of his Dynamites made the truck handle better.

There's an old adage that often is true and that is "you get what you pay for".