R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Old 12-21-2006, 08:50 AM   #16
Tech Regular
Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to tonyy
Default rtr

my dad had a 7.5 rtr was not that best car to race but, if your jast going to run it at home then i would go with it, he has a 777 now and i have a k2 i like my k2 a lot more then his car(we race evey weekend). its all about what you like.
tonyy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2006, 08:58 AM   #17
Tech Adept
Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

you should go with the losi 8ight, it comes with a great radio and you can upgrade as you feel needed and it is one of the hottest buggies out right now
Team Durango DNX408T
Spektrum DX3R Pro
Tekin T8 ESC 2250 motor
losiguy69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2006, 12:15 PM   #18
Tech Elite
Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to WheelNut

The hyper 8 pro has thick shock tower and no engine. The only other version of the hyper 8 is the RTR. Besides it says right in the title its the pro kit.
•Brad Comis
WheelNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2006, 12:17 PM   #19
Tech Champion
Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

Originally Posted by WheelNut
The hyper 8 pro has thick shock tower and no engine. The only other version of the hyper 8 is the RTR. Besides it says right in the title its the pro kit.
There is a review of both RTR cars in the newer issue of RC Car Action...

If you have zero R/C equipment I'd say the 8ight RTR is better. The stock servos and spektrum radio are way nicer then the Hyper 8 RTR's.

But if you have a radio and some servo's you could swap out I'd say the 8ight and Hyper 8 are very close. Both reviews were very solid for both cars.

I was in the same position looking for a RTR or nice used buggy. In the end I bought a Hyper 8 Pro kit because I already have a nice KO Helios and servos to add.

Nexus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2006, 01:46 PM   #20
Tech Adept

I bought a brand new jammin X1 CR, i have every aluminum and grapghite part imaginable, but i need a motor.
which one would you guys recommend??
????, thanks in advance.
AKSHUN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2006, 02:45 PM   #21
Tech Addict
Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

My vote would go to the V-spec... long run times, with amazing power. There are many many good motors out though.. Stay with the bigger names, and you wont go wrong... See what other guys are running at your track, and go from there.
FlyByWire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2006, 04:58 PM   #22
Tech Adept

Thanks, i think i will go with the OS.
AKSHUN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2006, 08:32 AM   #23
Tech Regular
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Smile FWIW

My biased advice to you would be to get a fully upgraded Hyper 8 Pro kit off of Ebay. You should be able to get something fully built with a few spares for under $700 from the states.

I run the following on my Hyper 8 without any issues/complaints:

Hitec servos (High end digital ones)
NovaRossi P5X (Several gallons already, and still runs like new)
FR2 Chassis
Center Diff Brace for FR2 chassis
CNC Rear 1.5 degree uprights
Lunsford titanium turnbuckle set (All turnbuckles and steering linkage)
Carbon Fiber Brake Disks (http://ofna.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4614&start=45)
Panther Komodo II (Med Soft)
OFNA UltraLites Wheels

Radio Futaba 3PM HRS

I have also performed all the mods suggested @ http://nitrohouse.com/Tech_Tips_for_the_Hyper8.htm

It is a great racing platform with a huge cheap parts availability in the US (Not sure about Euro parts availability).

If you go the pro kit route and need to invest in radio/motor/servos, I suggest that you spend the most money on servos, then radio, then motor. As a noob, you'll be better off with a smooth motor (Predictable power delivery). Do not buy the 'hottest' motor available. It makes the buggy harder to control. Your money is better spent on quality servos, electronics, and batteries. I also recommend the Futaba HRS. I've not had a lick of trouble with it; it has built in fail-safe features. One of the fastest response times available in the market (REQUIRES Digital Servos though!), if not THE fastest.

I also recommend Hitec servos. Mine have been bullet proof for over a year, and I hear that if you do have a problem with them, just send them in and they'll resolve it without any hassles. I've not heard one single negative response about their customer service yet. In fact, many comments saying that even if the servo was out of warranty, they still repaired or replaced it - no questions asked.

They seem to stand behind their products, and based on my experiences with their stuff thus far, they have my loyalty for the foreseeable future.

Hope this helps!

rabidsquirrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2006, 06:23 AM   #24
Tech Master
Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

The RTR cars are a quick way to step your foot into the hobby, but personally, I'd rather buy a higher end kit then add a motor, pipe and radio. The best thing you can do to learn about these cars is to build one from a kit. I think that experience is invaluable.

Also, if you stick the hobby out, you'll end up upgrading most of the stuff on the RTR kits and spend more in the long run. If you buy it, run it, break it, stick it on a shelf in the garage and not care about the $500 or so spent, then get the RTR ...lol

For a good budget motor, look at the Novarossi 21BF 3-port or the new OS VG .21 motor. Dynamite makes some good hard-coated pipes for a low price and the 053 should run good on both motors. There are no cheap good quality servos. Look at the warranty.

Parts availablity and local help is something to consider when buying. If you shop online, the big online shops carry parts for all of them and what I use. But if you shop at the LHS, then see what cars they stock parts for. If you have a local track check it out and see what others are running. The help they have to offer is also invaluable.

Best of luck,

Tony P.
Tony P.

Tonys Screws LLC
High Grade Alloy Steel Screws, Screw Kits and Mugen Parts
TonysScrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2007, 07:08 AM   #25
Tech Addict
Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to windellmc

The only RTRs I would look at are the Sportwerks. They have their issues too but the engine is really pretty decent and the servos and radio are also not bad.
windellmc is offline   Reply With Quote