R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Electric Off-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-off-road-4/)
-   -   Modding Engines (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-off-road/139528-modding-engines.html)

Goomba_7 12-07-2006 07:19 AM

Modding Engines

For those of you who are "porting" and modding engines i'm curious what Dremel tools you are using and for what part of the modding, ie polishing, hogging, and such.

satoch 12-07-2006 07:36 AM

Don't take this the wrong way, but, if you've got to ask you really shouldn't be attempting to mod an engine.

Goomba_7 12-07-2006 08:50 AM

Don't take this the wrong way but who are you to judge my abilities and what i do with my engines. You can't learn unless you do.

satoch 12-07-2006 03:56 PM

Well if the quality of your rides is any indication of your experience with high performance RC I would have to say my remark was polite and right on target.

And BTW, no engine modder worth his salt is going to share that info with you. The world doesn't need another hack with a Dremel tool.

Briguy 12-07-2006 04:44 PM

Goomba_7 , I agree with Satoch . If you are really familiar how the engines operate far as porting and timing you would know what to do . You want to take the chance to screw up your engine , more power to ya . It takes minute adjustments to do a good job and going past the line to trash an engine can happen very quickly . That is why there are places to send your engine to get the proper job done . Nobody is going to give away their secret as it will cause everyone to do the mod themselves and the modder will lose business . I`ve seen many people try it themselves and screw up an engine because they were trying to save a few $$ . Basically , if you have no clue send it to someone that does and pay a few bucks . It will be worth it in the long run .

gearheadz80 12-08-2006 07:04 AM

I have ported and polished full size engines with great succes and I won't attempt to try nitro mods, they are less forgiving. Leave it to the professionals

captain america 12-08-2006 07:43 AM

Well I'm no engine expert by any strech, but I do have a tremendous amount of creativity and manual dexterity; both of which allow me to learn very quickly. If Goomba really wants to try his hand at this, who are we to discourage him?

Anyway, assuming you have the money, time and patience, here is what I would do: buy two identical engines. Keep one stock and un-run, and take the other and send it to be "modded". When the mod engine is returned to you, you can simply disassemble it and compare the parts with the stock ones to see what was done and how much.

This may take many, many hours of careful measurement with calipers and detailed photographs, but just short of having a private tutor that may be your next best recourse.

Once you have studied everything on the mod engine, you can then use the "virgin" mill to experiment on. Granted, you will most likely screw-up a few things, and need to do them many times until you get the desired effect (hence the cost), but you WILL eventually learn. :cool:

bobf24 12-08-2006 09:00 AM

he never asked how to mod an engine, he just asked what tools people are using to do it, for all we know, he could have been doing it for a while, and just wanted to see if there are some different tools out there he didn't know were out there,

satoch 12-08-2006 09:43 AM

If that were the case then a simple call or email to one of the many engine modders would've worked. Massive Mods even lists the tools he uses to mod engines on his site.

bobf24 12-08-2006 10:09 AM

there you go, now you've answered the original question,

LClarke 12-09-2006 12:11 PM

Goomba_7,
Go for it! Don't listen to the naysayers. I suppose some of the respondents think all the best engine builders just appeared out of thin air. Satoch, get a life and try to find some maturity while your at it.

Goomba_7 12-10-2006 11:43 AM

Captain, Bob, and LClarke, Thank you for actually reading the post and giving me the answer i was looking for. And Cap. Thanks for the tools. Oh and it's probably been said a million times before "It's not the car that Counts it's the driver!"

flameoutgarrett 12-13-2006 02:24 AM

ive seen alot of "modded" engines...IMO less is more....i got my hands on a worlds motor from a well known engine tuner....(dont want to say names and get anyone in trouble..lol) it was a RB S7....looking at a stock one and the modded one you would never know which is which....untill you took it out on the track....biggest thing is to start where the mfg left off....clean it up....

grab a 52 peice dremel kit and an old sleeve and just start grinding....see what feels best to you...everyone uses different bits....

Davidka 12-13-2006 07:02 AM

If you would really like to try this the one thing that you will need to make repeatable adjustments is a means to measure the timing/open duration of all of the ports. I don't know how the modders measure but you will need to accurately locate 0* and measure every degree to 360* this will allow you to know at how many degrees of crank rotation every port opens and closes and determine their open duration. You can't make an educated change to an engine's timing without that information.

Goomba_7 12-13-2006 09:21 AM

I appreciate the tips. What i've tried to do is not change the timing of the ports but to make them flow better. Matching the ports allowing more mixture in and better flow out. Due to the lack of the right bits, I'm not getting a nice polished finish on the sleeve. I'm curious as to which bits do tuners use to get the nice finish. I'm also wondering if using the tried and true sand paper method(Coarse-to-fine grit) works and if that's how they do it.