Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Off road driving technique. Help!

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2001, 04:42 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)
Default Off road driving technique. Help!

I'll be running off road for the first time on Nov. 18th. I know how to control a car well on asphalt but not off road. Can someone tell me how I can handle jumps and table tops, etc? What is the proper drving technique?
Old 11-13-2001, 02:10 PM
Tech Apprentice

Some things I would check are the wheel camber and toe-in. Other things could be the ride height, and the springs you are using. All of these things could effect handling.
Old 11-21-2001, 09:01 AM
Tech Regular

Dealer - Throttle control is going to be the biggest thing you will have to learn, both on the track and in the air on jumps.

At first take the jumps easy and try to be accelerating or at least a constant speed when you hit them. Applying throttle in the air will raise the front of the car slightly, applying brakes will bring the nose down. Every car and jump are different, you just have to practice. Some jumps you need to be off throttle to get the car to fly level, some jumps you need to be accelerating, and some just suck. It is all things that will come over time. If you want to get the car to jump farther, try a slower approach, accelerate up the face of the jump and then release the throttle about halfway up the face. This lets the suspension unload and spring the car off the face of the jump. You may have to fly the car a bit with the throttle to get a smooth landing though.
Old 01-15-2002, 05:21 AM
Tech Adept

Dude, I was in the exact position you are. Listen to Skip...i didn't havea nyone to tell me this. Everything he says is exactly right. Two weeks ago was my first race. It was a pretty much buggy race against my little touring/rally thing piece. It took me 4 hourse of practice on thurs before the race and 4 bfore the race on saturday to even be able to almost take the jumps. You know why? I didn't ask for help. If there is a guy there that you know is good, see if he can watch your driving or drive your car and let you know what to be able to do right and what you are doing wrong. If i would have done it, i would have done better than second. another tip i learned....never go full throttle unless you are on a straightaway. If you do comming out of corners in a 2wd buggy or truck you will spin. Also, Make sure all your connections are perfect....Solder ALL wires together including battery wires, make sure your motor, tires, and shocks are clean. Oh yeah and make sure your tires are perfect....specially the front. Heh Sorry if this is getting lenghty. I just had the same problem you are. Im dumb just do what Skip said about the jumps....and if you want then look at mine.....heh too early.
Old 05-13-2013, 10:28 AM
Tech Rookie

i had to learn to not throttle in the turns as well, steady throttle until the car straightens up then nail it, just my opinion and follow the lines of the track or everyone else thats fast.
Old 05-13-2013, 10:44 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Originally Posted by tommylaw940
i had to learn to not throttle in the turns as well, steady throttle until the car straightens up then nail it, just my opinion and follow the lines of the track or everyone else thats fast.

Nice. This thread was started 12 years ago.
Old 05-13-2013, 12:31 PM
Tech Rookie

Default ooopppppssss....

Originally Posted by jackcarter3
Nice. This thread was started 12 years ago.
you know i didn't even notice that, it showed up in the new post section and i never even looked at the date sorry, how funny though, well maybe someone who reads the post can benefit from the knowledge anyway thanks for bringing it to my attention.
Old 05-13-2013, 04:54 PM
Tech Master

ULTIMATE necro-post