Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Direct Solder or Deans

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2006, 08:47 AM
Tech Initiate

Default Direct Solder or Deans

I am curious to know how the racers our there are connecting their batteries to the ESC? I assume there are some with Deans and some directly soldering. What is the advantage/dis to both. Thanks for the help.

andy
Old 12-02-2006, 09:14 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Deans are practically ZERO resistance, so direct solder is really just a "hard headed about racing" technique... Unless you're competing with Atsushi Hara...save yourself the headache of keeping an iron hot and ready every time you wanna switch batteries.
Old 12-02-2006, 09:25 AM
Tech Initiate

Stay with the Deans connectors. I doubt you would even see any difference between the 2 as far as performance goes but you would sure see the hassle of soldering all the time.
Old 12-02-2006, 09:26 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

I run deans in my offroad cars b/c there is generally no power in the pits. Beats the heck out of buying and running a generator. Plus it's just easier. Indoor carpet racing I solder since there is power at each pit, and it's difficult to shove a bunch of wires under a 1/12 scale body.

Plus with plugs, if you get em soldered right the first time you'll never toast a speedo due to backwards connections. But if you direct solder and make it so the wires will only reach the place they're supposed to you really can't mess that up either. But for some reason I see guys smoke speedos at least a couple times a year direct soldering.
Old 12-02-2006, 09:37 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

I direct solder because I don't like to solder deans. I don't have to worry about putting positive wire on negative/ negative wire on positive because with my car there's only one way for the wires to reach. I also think it looks cooler with direct solder.
Old 12-02-2006, 10:34 AM
Tech Elite

If you don't need the convenience of connectors then direct soldering saves you some cash otherwise spent on connectors.

There is virtually no difference in resistance between Deans and Soldering.
Old 12-02-2006, 11:46 AM
Tech Apprentice

deans look ugly. too much wiring. gets expensive in the long run.

and after a few months they plugs get dirty and resistance does increase dramatically.

i use the euro plugs.
Old 12-02-2006, 12:32 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by D Hunt 3
I direct solder because I don't like to solder deans. I don't have to worry about putting positive wire on negative/ negative wire on positive because with my car there's only one way for the wires to reach. I also think it looks cooler with direct solder.
I agree!
Old 12-02-2006, 07:28 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Both ways work good..
Old 12-02-2006, 07:36 PM
Tech Elite

Corally plugs are the way to go.... As neat as direct soldering without the need for a soldering iron always handy... Work great if you need to disconnect the battery quick but like soldering you could easily reverse the polarity.
Old 12-02-2006, 07:47 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 11 (92%+)

Can't beat Corally. No significant difference between this and direct solder in terms of resistance.

Benefit is that you're not exposing the first and sixth cell to soldering iron heat every time you use a pack. It's faster. Looks just as trick. Deans are ok but require more wiring which equals more resistance. They can be fiddly when tight too.
Old 12-03-2006, 10:12 PM
Tech Initiate

Thanks for the posts. I appreciate the input. I am not sure I want to spend my time soldering at home or at the track. If I do it at the track I will save lots of money (no plugs/wires), but I have the hassle of soldering at the track.

Andy
Old 12-04-2006, 02:04 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default I use Deans + tips

I use Deans plugs because I have a little boy in the pits. The downsides are a little extra weight, due to the extra wire. You need some slack to plug/un-plug.
I have had the extra weight from wire shear the wires going into two Novak ESC. I hate resoldering those!

I think I'll move to direct solder when the boy is older.

Applicable soldering tips.
Color code your batteries with a red and green sharpie.
Use a high watt soldring iron. Less time for heat transfer.
Use a clip on heatsink on battery bars, motor tabs, diodes, or anything.
Old 12-04-2006, 09:37 PM
Tech Prophet

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

Deans all the way. You can get the pigtails for batteries. Saves the hassel of having to solder the plugs on wire for batteries. You still need to solder the plugs on your ESC and your charge.

Advantage. I have NEVER had a deans plug fail. I have never had to run back to the pits due to a failed solder joint. The have less resistance then a solder joint that has been redone 50 times! You do not risk heating up your 1 and 6th cell like someone already mentioned. They make life simplier in the long run. I have been running highly competative stock racing for the last 3 years. Deans have not slowed me down one bit!
Old 12-04-2006, 09:59 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Deans all the way. Never had a problem with them.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.