Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road
O'donnell buggy is AE's new 1/8 >

O'donnell buggy is AE's new 1/8

O'donnell buggy is AE's new 1/8

Old 12-04-2006, 10:23 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Well put Jim, I just think people are expecting buggies to look more and more like somethin from Irobot. And honestly besides the diff sliding idea (which is a super dope idea ) the others are too advanced.

I dont see 1/8th scale going to a push rod suspension setup because I dont think the supsension travels far enought to see any real benefits. A revo travels quite a bit more than my buggy ever dreamed of. Once again, this is just my speculation, and Im by no means a engineer, just thoughts.
Old 12-05-2006, 04:51 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

jim, funny you should mention the inboard cantilever suspension...when i can get the parts, i think i'm going to tinker with that on the front end of my jammin along with the pillow balls...might even try to adapt the rear suspension too....pivot balls for setting toe in = no more changing toe plates ...only problem will be getting a body to fit...maybe.
Old 12-05-2006, 05:07 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by W.E.D.Jim
Actually I was thinking they have only scratched the surface, LOL.

I'm surprised no manufacturer is willing to try the Cantilever style suspension, like the Revo has and now an Ofna sedan. It is super tunable, with differing amounts of progression and travel available by changing bellcranks, not to mention the usual spring and shock changes, etc.

I'll keep some of the other ideas I have to myself though, .

...Jim

Jim,

Check this link out

http://www.neobuggy.net/modules/news...p?storyid=1408

was this along the lines of what you were thinking????

Later
Kevin Boyle
Old 12-05-2006, 05:20 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Originally Posted by RC Scoring Pro
I talked to an Associated Team driver 10 days ago and he said the buggy would not be out until it is ready and it isn't ready. I asked if it would be available for early Summer 2007 and he said he didn't think so.
Doug,

KDUB is an engineer for Associated... I think he knows what he is talking about! Like he said "end of story"!
Old 12-05-2006, 06:27 AM
Tech Master

Is anyone able to direct me to some pictures of these buggies ?? Getting currious now .......
Old 12-05-2006, 06:36 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 62 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Merciless
Is anyone able to direct me to some pictures of these buggies ?? Getting currious now .......

Here ya go, spy shots:

http://www.kyoshoamerica.com/carsand...ars/31780B.asp

Easy......its a joke....
Old 12-05-2006, 07:11 AM
Tech Initiate

Not to mention as an engineer friend of mine stated, "A TeamLosi trademark is to think of a radical new idea and then Compromise the entire car around it?"
EXACTLY my sentiments! (ahem, JRXS). AE doesn't seem to like to re-invent the wheel. Maybe they're incapable of re-inventing the wheel. Maybe they just don't want to. They just study what already works then optimize it a bit more. No it's not an exciting or adventurous notion but it's a safe purchase for their customers. Except for the TC3, which sparked all sorts of shaft vs belt debate, all AE cars seem to have followed this conservative philosophy. I don't expect the AE buggy to be anything mind-blowingly different like the Losi or the Team Magic cars but I do expect it to be good.
Old 12-06-2006, 07:26 AM
Tech Adept

...Not to mention as an engineer friend of mine stated, "A TeamLosi trademark is to think of a radical new idea and then Compromise the entire car around it?"...
That may be true but I think that Losi has forced other manufacturers to improve on a lot of their products. Just look at the 1/10 off-road scene.
Old 12-06-2006, 08:42 AM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by b4zed
That may be true but I think that Losi has forced other manufacturers to improve on a lot of their products. Just look at the 1/10 off-road scene.
There are only two companies in the 1/10 off-road scene - AE and Losi. I can't remember the last time Losi forced AE to improve. I'm guessing waaay back in 2002 when the XXX was beating the crap out of the B3 but then the B4 came out. Who knows, maybe the XXXX (or the 10en) is around the corner. i'm dying to see what "innovation" they'll come up with that one.
Old 12-06-2006, 08:50 AM
Tech Adept

I was thinking more along the lines of the XX series. That is when AE booted up the CAD stations. Schumacher was also on the scene at that time (mostly in Europe).
Old 12-06-2006, 08:56 AM
Team Tekin

I'm surprised at everyones disgust with AE. I know that the TC4 Flopped. I do notice that if Ae isn't winning they tend to take a look at who is and copy some of it's good points and attempt to correct the bad. This is not a bad thing and is a standard practice in any manufacturer industry. Look at real cars....

The only thing that I'm truly dissapointed in is that it's all made in China now. I know that "everyone" does it but it's dissapointing anyhow.

I do try and support the outside the box thinkers Like JConcepts, Tekin, Orion(motors and engines), and Losi. Ae lost some of my respect when the "new" plastics became soft and more breakable(ie wing mounts). I hadn't broken my car in quite a while and after rebuilding it the other day with all new parts I went through some wing mounts after a simple roll over...

OH well, bottom line for me is that the more the merry as it will only push the true innovators!
Old 12-06-2006, 09:06 AM
Tech Addict

the wing mounts are just a bad design, they should be triangular or have a larger vertical cross section.
Old 12-06-2006, 10:37 AM
Tech Adept

W.E.Djim

you want to see cantilever(sp?) on a buggy? send me your email and i will show something really cool!

[email protected]
Old 12-06-2006, 12:54 PM
Tech Initiate

If they (AE) didn't reinvent the wheel but came up with a variation of what is out there that would be fine by me. Put some nice features with a few twists in there, maybe a movable engine or something on that line i would bet it will be great. Almost all of their designs are really good and proven. Just keep the price in line with the Losi.
Old 12-06-2006, 02:41 PM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by Randy Pike
I'm surprised at everyones disgust with AE. I know that the TC4 Flopped.
tc4 flopped? thats news to me. they seem very competitive

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.