R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Old 11-26-2006, 10:16 AM   #16
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by Funkymojo
Honestly i don't see electric 1/8 buggies picking up...too much hassel compared to 1/8 gp buggies...

now, that there is funny. that's exactly what they used to say about nitro.
Losi 22
Losi 810-e
B&T R/C - http://b-treman-rc.valp.net/btrchome.htm
dirtracer1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2006, 10:26 AM   #17
Tech Elite
Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to WheelNut

Originally Posted by Funkymojo
Honestly i don't see electric 1/8 buggies picking up...too much hassel compared to 1/8 gp buggies...
Were you dropped on your head as a child?

Also there is lots of interest in electric 1/8th scale, it just that right now no manufacturers offer one so all you see is a bunch of hack home made conversions (and yes there are LOTS of them).
•Brad Comis
WheelNut is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2006, 05:39 AM   #18
Tech Regular

wasn't there like no demand for a monster truck class till the tmaxx came out? someone has to start it :P

i personally don't really like the idea of an xxx4 converted to a truggy.

2wd Electric Truggy All Day Every Day (t4 baby!!)
Darkshinobi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2006, 04:04 PM   #19
Tech Elite
Trader Rating: 127 (100%+)
Default TTT

4 Wheels pull-in are always better than 2 on a rutted dusty track.

4WD Electric Truggy sounds like fun..........

Will it ever be a class Maybe if enough one gets pissed that there 2WD buggies and 4 WD buggies don't handle because the 8th scales keep rutting up the track. Around Florida the nitro class is growing like crazy. The only time I would be able to race on a smooth surface is @ the State race. If I race @ the local tracks the tracks are all rutted and blow out from the 8th scales so it's no fun. I know people tell me to buy a nitro buggy and join the crowd. I just like the charge and go simplicity of electric and always will. I know for a fact nitro is very popular and here to stay. So I think it maybe time for a 4WD Electric Truggy Bigger tires (More Traction) Higher ground clearance (Bigger Tires) 4 WD (More Traction) Brushless or Mod and Lipos ( Very Fast) One more thing since we will be running truck bodies on the 4 WD Truggies the Front and Rear shock towers won't dig into the dirt and break. So it should have a little more protection than the 4WD buggies offer.

LMK what you guys think.
RED-LINE M03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2006, 12:04 PM   #20
Tech Elite
Trader Rating: 15 (94%+)
Send a message via AIM to W.E.D.Jim

Imo, the electric off road class would do better in 1/8th scale, since the traction will be better and bumps won't be as big a factor. They will need to SERIOUSLY beef up any 4wd they "Convert", since they are the most fragile with small tires, it won't get better with bigger tires! I think a totally new design is needed for best results and weight should not be the main priority, durability should be.

I think I saw someone post that 1/8th scale is less "Hassle" then electric? WOW, someone obviously has little to NO electric experience.

I would hardly call maintaining/charging my radio batteries, two or more 6 cells for my starter box, a couple glow ignitors and a reciever pack, then tuning my fuel engine and inspecting my clutch parts and other items for a day of racing less hassle....

....Compared to charging my radio and 6 cell to flip a switch and hit the track.

Noboby races Fuel classes because they are cheaper OR easier.

They both are fun, but everybody seems to feel the need to justify one over the other....They BOTH have thier ups and downs.

I like racing them all myself and form a true opinion based on reality, rather then a magazine that leaves off half of the items needed for fuel and claims a battery pack for electric racing is $75-100, LMAO.

www.wedjim.com ...Closed down due to heavy gov't regulation? Or something like that.

"Nothing but the best!"
W.E.D.Jim is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2006, 01:49 PM   #21
Tech Fanatic
Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default My AE Truggy!!!

Here is a few pics of my AE Truggy. Pictures might be crappy. I used my webcam.

lutach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2006, 02:00 PM   #22
Tech Addict
Trader Rating: 75 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to Paul_67

I did a brushless conversion on an MBX-5 and this thing is amazing! The electronics for larger scale vehicles are becoming cheaper and more abundant every day. I'm using the 1/10 Mamba Max ESC with 2 lipos in series and have just as much power as a nitro engine with around 20 minutes of run time. Castle will be releasing a 1/8 scale ESC soon that will be able to handle even more power. There's a ton of info on Rc-Monster.com and a lot of people are having great success running 1/8 electric. The only hard part of the conversion was getting a motor mount custom machined to fit the MBX-5. The rest was bought off the shelf. This is the lowest maintanance vehicle I have ever run. I've run the buggy about 2 dozen times now and have not had to do anything at all but charge the batteries.

Paul_67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2006, 03:13 PM   #23
Tech Apprentice
Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Default truggies

My take on this is that has already happened, YEARS ago. Truggy is nothing but a progression of buggy to truck EXACTLY like electric stadium trucks evolved from the buggies of yesteryear.

so yes it will happen, it already has, and it called the T4 and the XXXT.

As far as 4WD conversions there was a brief period of the "heavy metal" class which was 4WD buggies with truck bodies. I thought they were cool as hell, they just never caught on.
Youtube Channel - https://www.youtube.com/user/ev0lash
RC Car Cast podcast - https://www.youtube.com/user/rccarcast
Big Squid RC resident drift nerd - http://www.bigsquidrc.com

* Team Vanquish Products * Team DMG * Team Dinky-RC *
ev0l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2006, 04:42 PM   #24
Tech Fanatic

Don't be silly, of course there will be an electric truggy class. The worlds' oil supply is estimated to be depleted in only 40 years. Racing toy cars on cheap petrochemical fuels will be far beyond the reach of the demographic that currently races nitro cars. Rich guys will still be racing offshore drag boats though...
satoch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2006, 04:02 AM   #25
Tech Rookie

I'm in the process of converting my Df-03 into a truggy.

1/10 obviously but i've added the hpi dodge ram body
and 2.2 hpi stars with pro-line dirtworks,
next will be 10mm wheel wideners to give it a more stable footprint and clear the body when steering.

Looks great thrashing round the local track and punishes all my mates buggys by driving straight over them in those sticky situations lol
mr.Pro is offline   Reply With Quote