R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Old 11-24-2006, 11:01 AM   #1
Tech Rookie
.15 pull starter?

HI all,
I have an older MRC .15 plane engine that I am putting into a boat that used to be electric. But the only problem i have is getting the thing started. I was wondering if any of you guys knew of a pull starter for this motor, or one that would work. i have found a couple online that i thought would work if i bought the backing plate for that starter too , but they give me no mesaurements of the bolt distances on the back of the motor. thanks a lot for any info. i think this things going to be pretty fast i just cant get it started in the boat.
MRC15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2006, 03:41 PM   #2
Tech Master
Send a message via MSN to Platinum_Racing

Plane engines aren't good for land applications anyway, and by the time you're done getting a one way bearing, a new backplate, and a starter you might as well buy a new O.S. .15 CV-X engine. They only run about $90 with a pull starter and air filter included. Airplane engines will tend to run hot without that huge prop pushing air over the tiny head constantly. Plus, airplane engines are usually ported to run very fast, so they don't develop much torque at low RPM's. This will make for slow starts and not a whole lot of power until the engine gets really racing. Car engines have more low end torque, and boat engines have even more low end torque. The O.S. .15 CV-X is a great deal and runs for a long time. You won't be displeased with this mill.
Platinum_Racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2006, 06:09 AM   #3
Tech Rookie

Well , I made a vice motor mount for the engine so i could run it in place and i left engouh prop on the motor to keep it cool. And it did for a whole tank of gas. Im not worryed about that. The fact is i have the motor and im not willing to spend that much. i know how much a pull stater will cost.
MRC15 is offline   Reply With Quote