R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Old 11-16-2006, 12:05 PM   #1
Tech Champion
Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Default Controlled or Open Practice at Electric Off Road National Events?

ROAR Nationals have wide open practice on the day before qualifying.

Races like the Novak Race, Reedy Race and IIC have nothing but Contolled Practice in Heat order.

The Snowbirds has semi controlled practice with time blocks for different classes.

The races above are On Road but do you think any of these options would make practice better for Off Road races?

What do you guys think is the best option for ROAR Off Road National Events?

I was thinking open practice in the morning with time reserved at the end of the day to run one round of controlled practice in heat order with run through tech to sort out tech, frequency, and transponder issues.

If we get a reasonable consensus here I will bring your suggestions to the ROAR ExCom.
Adrian Martinez
What I run: Schumacher Mi5/Associated RC10R5.1/Associated RC12R5.2/Futaba/HobbyWing/Team EA Motorsports/BSR Racing
Where I run: Florida Indoor R/C Complex/Thunder Racing/Florida On Road State Series
AdrianM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2006, 12:33 PM   #2
Tech Elite

I think Open practice is the way to go for any event under 100 DRIVERS (not entries). Let the drivers choose which car they will spend their time on. Especially with electric, as it's not like someone can continue to fill up their tanks and run for an hour at a time. Let the entrants get plenty of track time for their money.

If the turnout is too large to allow open practice, the only fair way to do it, is to set up a "check in" before starting every round, set up a mock heat-sheet, and run controlled practice. This way you will be able to enforce turn-marshalling, there will be no dead time on the track, and there is no strategy required in making sure you get equal practice time like everyone else.
Aaron Waldron - LiveRC
Aaron Waldron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2006, 12:37 PM   #3
Tech Master
Trader Rating: 49 (100%+)

Controlled Practice ONLY! Totally due away with Open Practice and shorten the entire race program.
Doug D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2006, 12:42 PM   #4
Tech Master
Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

At the NCT races, (160-230entries) typical practice day is ran open from 8-12, then 1/2 hour blocks of classes, electric, gas truck, monster truck, 1/8b, 1/8t, and then repeat 2 more times, and then the last hour or so is usually open. And typically there are enough people with PT, of course this is a ROAR event, so everyone ought to have a PT, that computer bugs can be worked out in each class by simulating races during the 1/2 hour blocks.
gatermaxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2006, 01:37 PM   #5
Tech Addict

We here at Planet R/C Raceway had the honor of hosting the ROAR Modified Nationals back in August. We tried very hard to get the drivers the most track time we could manage. Mostly it was in response to the situations as they arose. We allowed open-practice until it became too busy, and recognized a few actions by drivers that were obviously taking advantage of the situation.
The most obvious tactic was to simply stay on the drivers stand and allow 'team mates' to carry out tire or set-up changes and continue driving. I believe we even had battery changes going on.
We then went to 'controlled practice'. The system we chose to use was to run 5 minute rounds, open to the 1st 10 drivers to get to the stand, then to move to the next 10 drivers. This worked well, except we quickly had a considerable line waiting for their turn on the stand.
Finally we did what has been mentioned. We went to a 'mock' qualifier round set-up. As was stated it got everybody track time and additionally let us fine-tune the timing/scoring software and procedures.
This was not perfect in any form, but we kept it moving. Next time I believe the way to go would be to run rounds as if they were qualifiers the entire day. If the numbers dwindled throughout the afternoon you could then go to a less controlled or even open practice format. Afterall it isn't only the drivers that need to practice.
mfishel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2006, 01:47 PM   #6
Tech Adept

controlled practices all the way, I would rather give up a couple of runs to get quality runs and not try to get around the track with 25 other cars.
DAVE BERNATH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2006, 05:24 AM   #7
Tech Adept
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Controlled practice is the best. You want to practice in as close to race conditions as you can get. This means I do not want more than 10 cars out on the track. I do not want to fight for a frequency pin if I use one. I do not want to be in an elbow competion on the stands so that we can fit 15 people up there. This is just what I have seen at a regional. I would not believe a national level would be much better.
nichocgn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2006, 01:18 PM   #8
Tech Regular
Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Open practice is for club races. I think a controlled practice is much better for any larger event. It allows everyone quality practice on equal terms. If you are attending a National calliber race you should have your stuff ready and a few short runs should only be needed to fine tune and learn the layout. These races are getting crazy long at 5 or 6 days and I think it is a waste.
gasser is offline   Reply With Quote