Wiki Posts
Search

4WD Buggy!

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2006, 08:26 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Yokomo MR-4BX.
It is by far the most durable 4WD out right now. It is no fun racing and having to even think about breaking parts and the Yoke is as tuff as they come. Not a lot of places stock the parts but Yokomo USA has all you would need. Maybe get a set of front arms and a front and rear shock tower and call it good. It's also a great buggy.
Old 11-18-2006, 09:36 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 64 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Buck Nasty
Yokomo MR-4BX.
It is by far the most durable 4WD out right now.

By far? Is there a "durability scale" that I didnt know about? Was there a scientific procedure that allowed you to determine that? I assume the answer is "no" to both of those. There are other cars out there with great durability, the BJ hasnt let me down yet(as far as the JConcepts parts). Ive broken only one front and one rear arm in quite a few races.
Old 11-18-2006, 01:45 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by AndyMoore
By far? Is there a "durability scale" that I didnt know about? Was there a scientific procedure that allowed you to determine that? I assume the answer is "no" to both of those. There are other cars out there with great durability, the BJ hasnt let me down yet(as far as the JConcepts parts). Ive broken only one front and one rear arm in quite a few races.
That is more than what I have broken in 10-15 race days. I have only bent a shock eyelet. I have seen many, many BJ4WE break many times. Shock towers, front arm, rear arms. Look, I'm not trying to say it's the best buggy out there (the Yokomo) but I have yet to see one break like the others including your BJ4.

Last edited by Buck Nasty; 11-18-2006 at 11:21 PM.
Old 11-18-2006, 09:32 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

I was thinking either the BJ4 or XX4. What do you guys think about those 2 buggies?
Old 11-18-2006, 11:18 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by XXXCRRacer
I was thinking either the BJ4 or XX4. What do you guys think about those 2 buggies?
I can tell you this. My race buddy has beaten me and everyone else that has raced 4 wheel here in Vegas over the last 5 weekends with a OG BJ4. That car has worked my Yokomo, XX4's XXX4's and BJ4WE's. Grant it he is a sponsored driver for Banzai motors and he's fast but he is beating guy's with the same skills as him no sweet with that car. He was not that fast with his XX4..........
Old 11-19-2006, 09:43 AM
Tech Master

If you like the XX-4 do not rule out the Xfactory X-5. It has all the strengths of the XX-4 plus the single belt drive of the XXX-4 all in one chassis.
Old 11-20-2006, 07:28 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Buck Nasty: DO you race with Mike Kazz @ Cutting Edge rc? What do you think of the car that MIKE is driving?
Old 11-20-2006, 07:41 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Dave G
Buck Nasty: DO you race with Mike Kazz @ Cutting Edge rc? What do you think of the car that MIKE is driving?
Yes I do race with Kazz. He's a great guy. I think his MRC buggy is a Very good buggy. Kazz has done well with it too. He has not been to Cutting Edge in a while though. I wish he would come out as my buddy needs some fast guys to race with and Kazz gets that MRC buggy going!!!!!!!! The new MRC buggy is supposed to be a big upgrade so that makes it even better and the price is also right.
Old 11-20-2006, 10:51 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

I can tell you that the new Pro V2 is an AWESOME buggy. You will have no wories about durability with that car. Its extremely competitive and on top of that the car is much nicer on the wallet then most other cars. Plus parts support is great. More and more LHS are carrying parts and it takes no time at all to get parts from MRC/Academy. I would definitely give this car a serious look over.
Old 11-20-2006, 02:15 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default 4WD Choices

Right now I have both the Kyosho ZX-5 and the BJ4WE. Currently, favor resides in the Kyosho but that may just be because I have had it longer and I can drive it better. As time goes on, I may prefer the BJ4WE. Who knows. Both cars are nice. The BJ4 cost me TWICE as much for the kit. I think it was like $500 shipped from JConcepts. I got my Kyosho $250 Shipped off ebay (still factory sealed in box).
Both were fun to build. Both require you to order parts if you break them. Although, as one poster said, the BJ4 does use some Associated and Losi parts so that is handy. The ones you lose or break most often will have to be ordered though. Stuff like maintenance items can be taken care of by any LHS such as wheels, shocks, ball ends, etc. Almost everything you need for the Kyosho is not found in your LHS. However, there are few great online shops that have excellent services in getting the parts. Some parts can be swapped for AE or losi as well.
I had one bad experience with my BJ4 this past weekend when I tried to triple a jump with it and endo'd it on top of the last jump. Did $102 worth of damage. Broke the CF chassis ($55), bent the aluminum bulkhead ($26), front hinge pin brace ($12), cracked front gear-box ($9). It was soft clay so I am surprised that this much broke. I am a little pissed to be honest. Hopefully it was just a fluke and will never happen again. Maybe I had a bad chassis. I have done that same thing with my ZX-5 a bunch of times and it's been fine. Regardless, I ordered the parts last night and got an email that they were shipped today. so that was a decent turn-around. To be honest, I actually decided not to order a new chassis. I am going to try and fix it with CA first. It more crumbled the front end than any real cracks. I have a feeling the screws won't hold though. We'll see.

Regardless, I am getting off track. I like both the cars. The BJ4 seems more expensive to buy and own. I think the Kyosho parts are a little cheaper. However, there are a couple KEY parts you NEED to replace on the Kyosho before you do any serious racing. The front hinge pin brace need to be aluminum. The same goes for one or both shock tower mounts. If you do that, the Kyosho is quite durable.
Old 11-20-2006, 02:46 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Of the cars that I've seen at Socal, the Yok seems to hold up the best and would probably be my choice if I didn't have what I have now. Seems solid, well-made, and doesn't look like it needs any hop-ups. Only downsides I can see are the entry price and parts availability, especially after the car's been replaced. I was told by one of the Yok guys that Socal would start carrying parts, so this might not be that much of a deal to you.

The BJ4 looks pretty awesome, too. Big selling point for me would be how easy and cheap it is to get (Associated) parts, but trying to get a brand new BJ, unless you run across someone selling, is next to impossible.

Check this out:

http://www.oople.com/rc/

He's got comprehensive reviews of all the current, popular 'wheelers in there.
Old 11-20-2006, 04:26 PM
TLRacing

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

I just ran my new X-5 for the first time this weekend and let me tell you, the thing is dialed! I ran the Arizona State Championships at SRS and the car was fast and very easy to drive. I know I am sponsored by them, but with that aside, I can honestly say it is my favorite 4wd. (I have raced 3 others, all in discussion here)
Old 11-20-2006, 07:23 PM
Mike Kazz

Yes, after these Nitro races are done, I'll be able to do a lil more ele racing. I luv my Academy V2. The best bang for the buck! And hopefully, they can get nitro class going...

And this charger is one of the best chargers. Can charge two packs at once @ 4 amps each!!!!

Old 11-20-2006, 07:38 PM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by Mike Kazz
Yes, after these Nitro races are done, I'll be able to do a lil more ele racing. I luv my Academy V2. The best bang for the buck! And hopefully, they can get nitro class going...

And this charger is one of the best chargers. Can charge two packs at once @ 4 amps each!!!!

yo man that mrc charger sucks it can hardly charge 2 packs at once
it false peaks alot, and i know a guy sponsered by them and he sais
he hides his orion charger under a towel to charge his packs he said they sucks
Old 11-21-2006, 05:54 AM
Tech Addict

something tells me he wont be telling you much ever again

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.