Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road
xxx4 to x5 conversion? >

xxx4 to x5 conversion?

xxx4 to x5 conversion?

Old 11-13-2006, 10:02 PM
Tech Regular

Default xxx4 to x5 conversion?

I've never driven a xx4, so I don't know what the differances between the xx4 and xxx4. I hear the normal answer, xx4 for rough tracks, and xxx4 for better accelleration and smother tracks. I understand the features of my xxx4. So why is the suspention on the xx4 better? Is that ware the x5 steps in and brings both together? Is it worth it? The wish that I have is I want more suspention travil on my xxx4. Please tell me the pro's and con's of the x5, and why.
Thanks
Old 11-14-2006, 08:53 AM
Tech Master

The X5 is an XFactory conversion for your XXX-4. It will combine the suspension of both vehicles and the drivetrain of mostly the XXX-4.

All buggies have issues with suspension articulation by nature, but if all you're looking for is pure travel then the X5 isn't gonna provide TONS more....... I guess we could help you out better if we knew your setup and the track you're racing on better.
Old 11-14-2006, 11:48 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Platinum_Racing
The X5 is an XFactory conversion for your XXX-4. It will combine the suspension of both vehicles and the drivetrain of mostly the XXX-4.

All buggies have issues with suspension articulation by nature, but if all you're looking for is pure travel then the X5 isn't gonna provide TONS more....... I guess we could help you out better if we knew your setup and the track you're racing on better.

DOH! Insert foot into mouth

The X5 from what I've heard is a huge improvement over the XXX4 on a rough track.
Old 11-14-2006, 11:53 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Actually, X-Factory has a XXX4 to X5 conversion....doesn't use much from the XXX4, but there's a conversion.
Old 11-14-2006, 11:56 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 43 (94%+)

Originally Posted by GroffBall
If it was possible to ban someone for just plain being stupid and giving out bad information you sir would be on the top of my list I swarr you give out more false info than I've ever seen. If you don't know what your talking about don't friggin post!

The X5 conversion is for a XX4 not the XXX4 get your sh*t together before you start giving out mis information.

X Factory has both a conversion kit for the XX4 or you can buy the entire kit. Check out the link for a review... http://www.oople.com/rc/photos/reviewx5/index.html
Wow, you don't know what you are talking about. There is a conversion for the xx-4 and the xxx-4 go to 4wdrc.com. Dont slam someone until you know the facts.
Old 11-14-2006, 11:58 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Originally Posted by losiracerxxxcr
Now youdont know what you are talking about. Ther is a conversion for the xx-4 and the xxx-4 gp to 4wdrc.com

Nope don't have a clue... Sorry platinum racing I've corrected you on stuff before but the one time I go off the handle turns out your right and I'm wrong... Feel free to kick me in the balls if you ever see me.

I'm still an idiot!

Last edited by GroffBall; 11-14-2006 at 12:16 PM.
Old 11-14-2006, 12:32 PM
Tech Regular

I have driven all three cars - the XX4 was my first competition R/C car, in fact, then I drove the XXX4, and then developed the X - 5, so I think I can give some clarification. I am of course heavily affiliated with X Factory, so if you want to take my words with a grain of salt by all means do so.
The X - 5 is a combination of the XX4 suspension and weight distribution with the driveline of the XXX4. The suspension on the X - 5 is entirely XX4 - the A-arms, shocktowers, hubs, spindles, shocks, upper links, steering, etc. Any suspension parts the X - 5 shares with the XXX4 are purely coincidental, as some parts are in all three cars (front shocks, for example). This is what makes the XXX4-to-X - 5 conversion cheaper than buying an entirely new X - 5. The drivetrain on the X - 5 is modeled on the XXX4. We made our own smaller diff and drive pulleys to fit inside the XX4 restrictions, and had to find a smaller belt because of the difference in path length. But the driveline is the same layout and when properly set-up can accelerate as fast or quicker than any other 4wd car out there. There are other things I feel we improved over both Losi cars when we designed the X - 5: The spur gear and slipper shaft can be removed in four screws, and belt tension remains constant no matter how many times you change spurs/slipper tension. Either diff unit comes out of the car in eight screws. The entire slipper shaft is a much simpler, easier design than the XXX4: you simply lift the body and tighten/loosen a 1/4" nut to adjust the tension.
On to why the XX4/X - 5 suspension is better than the XXX4. The technical side: The XXX4 features very large diff pulleys. Assuming that you want the driveshafts to be near parallel to the ground, and you are using the regulation 2.2" wheels, the center of the differential is a set height above the ground. Therefore, to enclose the large diff pulleys the bottom of the XXX4 chassis has to be very low to the ground. While suspension set-ups and modifications can and have turned the XXX4 into a very capable performer, the lower ground clearance means that the chassis will contact the ground more often, resulting in a car that bounces around more, especially on a rough track. The XX4, and consequently the X -5, has much smaller pulleys, therefore much more ground clearance, and is thus easier to drive. So, all that being said: the three cars have almost equal suspension travel. That is, the wheels can swing the same length arc relative to the chassis. At equal ride heights, however, the XXX4 has much less ground clearance than the XX4 and X - 5, and I think that's what you are referring to, Dougg. The subjective, driver's point of view: the XX4 was an easy, fun car to drive. You can drive it as hard as you want and the car will hang in there; it is easy to recover from mistakes of any sort, even if you wind up in the rough stuff or casing a jump. With the XXX4, which I've been plenty fast with, I always felt I was working my butt off to drive it right. I had to be right on the line, downside every jump every time, or the car would get away from me. With the X - 5, we wanted to retain the XX4's ease-of-drive while adding the rocket acceleration of the XXX4, and I really feel we succeded.

Whew, that was longer than I anticipated. I hope it all made sense.

Paul
Old 11-14-2006, 01:57 PM
Tech Master

I have done the XXX-4 to X-5 conversion and the X-5 suspension is worlds better than the XXX-4. When racing the XXX-4 the suspension is so inconsistant that the car would get upset and often endup on its roof. I have lost races because of this and had to find a solution. I took the plunge and upgraded and will never look back. It is definately worth it.
Old 11-14-2006, 06:18 PM
Tech Regular

Thanks guys, I didn't know that the xxx4 was lower than the xx4. I was going to ask if I could put the xx4 suspention on my car. I see now that would not help with the ground clearance. The track I run at is a ROAR track. Very Very tight, fast, blue grouve. I like to keep the car low to the ground, so it will turn better. But, we also have BIG jumps. Top of the take off ramps are around 3 feet at the top, same with landing also. Buy you know, in the heat of battle you can over shoot the landing ramps. The pan slaps the ground too easy. This upsets the chassies and I spin out. My xxx cr gives me alittle room for error. But the xxx4, I have to land in the first foot of the landing ramp or I will spin out. The xx4 seems to give you more room for error like my cr. I went to the xfactory web site and found in the teck forum a list of parts to convert my xxx4 into an x5, but it seems to still use the xxx4 frame. I think!!! I'm probibly wrong, or is it possable to bolt the xx4 suspention on my xxx4? I can't get my wheels to go lower without pulling the dog bones out. Is it possable to get longer dog bones?
Thanks guys
Old 11-14-2006, 06:39 PM
Tech Regular

That chassis slap with the XXX4 is exactly what I was talking about. X Factory offers a kit to convert your XXX4 to an X - 5, check out part #K003 in the store. This kit will include a new chassis and all the materials needed to complete the coversion, including a step-by-step tear-down of the XXX4 and build up of the X - 5. The list you saw is an older list before that simple conversion kit was available.
No, I do not believe it is possible to bolt the XX4 suspension onto the XXX4, and that would not solve the ground clearance problem anyways. Putting longer dogbones in would allow you to run more ride height (wheels lower) but would bind when the suspension was compressed. Besides, you really want to run the car with your driveshafts very close to level (parallel with the ground) as this is the best combination of forward traction and side bite.

Paul
Old 11-14-2006, 07:14 PM
Tech Master

Hmm... So, I guess I've pissed more people off than I should've today.