R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Electric Off-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-off-road-4/)
-   -   roar does it again...... "BRILLIANT" :( (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-off-road/136498-roar-does-again-brilliant.html)

Dick Trickle 11-11-2006 05:44 PM

roar does it again...... "BRILLIANT" :(

Lost Aggresiva 11-11-2006 06:01 PM

Hey, way to go helping out the average racer. We are obviously not very bright and would surely kill ourselves or worse if allowed to continue using these ticking time bombs. What I saved in battery costs would not even cover my hospital stay and/or funeral costs. Thank you oh great and wise ROAR. Now, if you will excuse me, I have some aging NiMh packs that I need to charge and launch through yonder wall.

what a joke.... :weird:

sport10 11-11-2006 06:30 PM

This is sure disappointing to see. Seems like ROAR is trying to squash this new battery technology. All other branches of R/C have accepted this new technology and it has vastly improved the performance of the electrics. I do not know why some people cannot handle change. What is next? Are they going to outlaw brushless motors?

AndyMoore 11-11-2006 06:44 PM

Another great decision for the advancement of our hobby. :rolleyes:

Turtlemaster 11-11-2006 06:47 PM

the "average" racer isn't doing roar events anyway so whats the big deal, i can't think of a single club track the would chase away a customer. but have seen more lipos blow up in the past 6 weeks then i've seen the other ones do in 6 years. so that could be the reason for the ban

$rusty$ 11-11-2006 07:40 PM

They have made changes for li-po to blow up..and it's all on how you handle them and more importantly how you charge them..I have not even heard of anyone having their li-po blowing up..so where ever you live people must not pay very close attention to what they are doing..

R40Victim 11-11-2006 08:13 PM

Same here, all I've seen is a voltage regulator die and fry the reciever using a li-po pack. Other than that, in two years of electric touring and oval, I've seen a dozen or so nim cells pop wide open.

Handling and care is paramount in any application, so seeing a bunch of li-po mistakes shouldn't tarnish the reputation of a product. I still hear people bashing O.S. motors....F'ing Tech-Tards... :lol: :rolleyes:

Wild Cherry 11-11-2006 08:25 PM

I have my doubts about reason`s used to outlaw the Li-Po

Seen a few racer`s running Li-po for past 5 month`s ...

Never seen a problem with ...

For myself, I know, just have a problem with a charger and watch the Ni-Metal do a great fireworks display & even explode ......

somebody need`s to tell me they have seen a li-po battery explode in a R/c car I guess... :confused:

sport10 11-11-2006 09:59 PM

I myself have been running Lipo packs in my foamy planes for about three years without any problems. It is all in how you treat them. These cells are not tolerant of careless users. If a pack catches fire usually it is the fault of the opeator not the pack.

Mike Dana 11-11-2006 10:06 PM

I've been running LiPo exclusively in my XXX-CR and XXXT. Yep, even when on the track with you Turtlemaster ;) I've had ZERO problems and won't go back to the old technology.

What's B/S about this decision is the fact that I know LOTS of LiPo RX packs are being used in gas. I guess this is ROAR's way of saying "sorry 'bout your luck!"

It just seems to me that maybe some in the industry have too much influence over ROAR. Maybe ROAR should have rules that ALLOW development, rather than getting dictated too by industry; maybe by those whom don't want to see a technology succeed in which they are not apart of :confused:

I wonder how Orion/Peak feel about this?

:mad:

moparsrule 11-11-2006 10:15 PM

From what I have read they banned them because they had 6 lipos explode at roar sanctioned events this year and non of the companys that make them have sumitted anything to them about the safety of lipo's. So that nice light radio is going to get much heavier. :rolleyes:

jbrow1 11-11-2006 10:18 PM

I've seen nimh go off like a shotgun two chairs down from me. Not something I care to see again up close and personal. Luckily nobody was hurt. Can't imagine any li-whatever would be any worse than that.

BlueR1 11-11-2006 10:56 PM

Originally Posted by sport10
This is sure disappointing to see. Seems like ROAR is trying to squash this new battery technology

fyi. its "quash" if you want to stop something going ahead, "squash" well you know is when you flatten something.

i always laugh when i hear people (usually politicians, actors and sportspeople) use the word squash.

mremtr 11-12-2006 03:31 AM

I can't believe that they have "banned " them yet ? I believe this "Adopt" is an article that is going to be seriously looked at and studied by ROAR . That's all . I have not seen the actual rule amendment in any of their posted "Rules" yet. So people ... Don't jump to conclusions just yet .

Just my thoughts on the subject ;)

FowLer 11-12-2006 04:13 AM

Originally Posted by sport10
This is sure disappointing to see. What is next? Are they going to outlaw brushless motors?

Shhhhh they might be reading, wouldnt want them get another "great" idea :confused: