Wiki Posts
Search

what can bend a slipper shaft?

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2006, 09:35 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default what can bend a slipper shaft?

I noticed a while ago that my newish xxx-t mf2's slipper shaft had a slight wobble to it at the end. It made the spur and pinion have a slighly tighter mesh for a span during rotation, so the wobble was making the spur off center a bit.

So, i replace the slipper shaft. i noticed in the old one that the piece with the allen head that comes pre-assembled into the top gear looked as if it was overtightened into the top gear. The new one was not like this. So i installed the new one, spun it around after assembly and noticed the wobble had improved greatly. The spur 'seemed' to not be off-center as it was before.

well, i went for a run, just a parking lot bash session, come back, and it seems this slipper shaft is now making the spur do what it did with the old one. The end of the slipper shaft seems to be off center a bit and the spur as well if looking at the face of the spur.

these are things i know it's not-
-the bearings supporting the slipper shaft/top gear. These are mint.
-the spur. it is perfectly round in relation to it's center. i know this because before i ran it post-new shaft installation, it was rotating with no perceived off-center attitude.
-the hex head threaded shaft being loose- that shaft is thread locked and tightened into the top gear assembly. it is not going anywhere.
-the slipper pads. they are aligned properly on the spur.

what could make this happen and, is this common? Id like someone to look at their slipper shaft from the top of the tranny and see if it has a wobble to it and/or look at the face of the spur while slowly spinning a wheel to see if it has some sort of slight off-center behavior. i can't imagine what would make this happen, but maybe it's normal.

thanks.

Last edited by builthatch; 11-10-2006 at 09:46 PM.
Old 11-10-2006, 10:40 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

i give up. i took the spur off and spun the wheels while staring down the barrel of the slipper shaft. it's perfect. I took the spur and measured it with my digi calipers in every way you could imagine. it's perfectly concentric. i put each slipper plate on the empty slipper shaft and spun the wheels to see if the plates were out of round. nope, perfect. So then i put the whole thing back together, two full turns away from fully tight and it's got zero wobble, mesh is uniform all the way around.

so the shaft isn't bent, and it all can be recovered to normal, but i'd be willing to bet that if i run it, this lil issue will surface...

what gives?

Last edited by builthatch; 11-10-2006 at 11:07 PM.
Old 11-10-2006, 11:26 PM
Tech Elite

I think you're worrying too much. It doesn't sound like the problem is that significant as it keeps "fixing" itself. The only other thing I can think of, would be the tranny case itself, and that it is allowing the bearings that support the shaft to wobble a bit.

If it's not hurting anything, I wouldn't let it bother you.