Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Anyone heard of Smartech?

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2003, 11:32 AM
Tech Rookie

Default Anyone heard of Smartech?

Is it a good brand for a gas off road r/c car?
Old 08-11-2003, 12:24 PM
Tech Elite

Cheapo Cheapo.
Old 08-14-2003, 09:53 AM
Tech Adept

One of the mags did an article about the Winner 3 buggy this month or last month. They said that it was a good beginner car to get someone involved in Nitro. Excell Hobby or something like that is the distributor in the US.

It wasn't RC Car, but another one. Can't remember.
Old 08-14-2003, 10:06 AM
Tech Master

i've never heard of them but by the question I assume you want to get into nitro off road. if you want a truck go with the HPI nitro MT. its availbe in RTR and a kit and it can take a good beating in back yards. not exactly race competitive but still fun as hell.

let us know more about your interests and wants/needs.
Old 08-15-2003, 03:44 PM
Tech Adept

Originally posted by mattyk6
One of the mags did an article about the Winner 3 buggy this month or last month. They said that it was a good beginner car to get someone involved in Nitro. Excell Hobby or something like that is the distributor in the US.

It wasn't RC Car, but another one. Can't remember.
September 2003 RCCA.
Old 08-16-2003, 05:03 PM
Tech Initiate

They make a Tmaxx(looks identical) rip off.Traxxas has stated that they have NO connection to Smarttech & will not help anyone with this model.I personally think anyone should avoid this company.
Old 08-16-2003, 06:37 PM
Tech Initiate

unfoutunetly i have seen a couple come into the hobby shop i work and and people need them fixed. Pretty much seem like rip offs of other brands.
Old 08-16-2003, 07:32 PM
Tech Fanatic

Thumbs down

If you are serious about getting into RC cars then Avoid the Smartech like the plague..
Old 08-17-2003, 12:45 AM
Tech Rookie

Wait a minute.......

To the people bagging out Smartech....... Have you driven one?? I have just been playing/ testing one this afternoon, and I have to say it is quite good.

Obviously not as good as a more expensive car, but for a backyard/ fun car it really does go well.

Maybe to the 'haters' you should try it before you bag it!!!
Old 08-19-2003, 06:14 AM
Tech Rookie

Does anyone have a copy of the September Radio Controlled Car Action with the review of the smartech winner3??

Can anyone scan the article and email it too me??

Please??????
Old 08-19-2003, 01:43 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally posted by medion
Wait a minute.......

To the people bagging out Smartech....... Have you driven one?? I have just been playing/ testing one this afternoon, and I have to say it is quite good.

Obviously not as good as a more expensive car, but for a backyard/ fun car it really does go well.

Maybe to the 'haters' you should try it before you bag it!!!
Ha Ha my father made the mistake of getting one for my little brother for his birthday... The quality of the car is shocking in my opinion and the place that sold them did not carry spare parts.

I personally would not recommend someone who is serious about getting into R/C racing to get one.
Old 08-19-2003, 04:42 PM
Tech Rookie

Originally posted by Steevo
Ha Ha my father made the mistake of getting one for my little brother for his birthday... The quality of the car is shocking in my opinion and the place that sold them did not carry spare parts.

I personally would not recommend someone who is serious about getting into R/C racing to get one.

I agree. I wouldn't recommend some ones gets it if they are serious, but as a backyard basher or just something to start you out in RC it is a good car.
Old 09-30-2005, 08:45 AM
Tech Rookie

Crap, I placed a bid on ebay on one of these and THEN read this thread. It ends in about 4 hours..
I'll let you know how it performs, heh.
Old 11-11-2006, 05:22 AM
Tech Rookie

Cool Smarttech??? Heard of???

Yeah...lots of it on ebay. I bought one - my 1st, 4 months ago.Still running great. Replaced a few parts and easily available from the net. I guess Smartech is a good brand for beginners. You could never tell whether you will be seriously involve in Nitro RC or not. My advised - dont spend too much on your first Nitro RC. Get yourself acquaited with Nitro RC thru the CHEAPEST, BRAND NEW NITRO RC aka SMARTECH then move on to the bigger, reliable brands. When you've learned the tricks of Nitro RC then get yourself a good KYOSHO.
Old 11-11-2006, 03:00 PM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

i have own one, they have weak front swing arms in the buggy but they have one of the best 2speed gearboxes i have seen on a RTR, a better option would be for a beginner is Himoto, HSP or as it is sold in the States Redcat, awesome beginner buggy, take a pounding and parts and upgrades easy to get, they also come with .18 were as the smartech only come with .15, but things to watch out for in the redcat is it has a weak clutch spring and the 2 speed is a cow to get it change gears, but once these problems are solved they just keep going and going
Cheer's Rob