R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Old 11-09-2006, 11:39 AM   #1
Tech Rookie
Default Engine slection for tracked vehicle project

I'm building (or at least planning) an R/C tracked vehicle, and since I have no previous experience of R/C racing i have some questions.

Let me start by explaining what i'm planning:
As I said, I'm making a tracked vehicle from scratch. I have not yet decided what size it will be, but it will probably be about 50 cm (~20") long and about 30 cm (12") wide. I estimate the weight to 5-10 kg (10-20 lbs).

As tracks and drive wheels (don't know if it's called that.. i'm swedish..) I will use the kind of belt drive you have in machines and such. To get tension in the tracks (so that they don't fall off) I will use small hydraulic pistons.

I have not yet decided wether the vehicle will be equipped with springs and shocks or not.

The body will be welded out of sheet metal with a supportive aluminium or steel frame.

Each track will have it's own separate motor to ensure that steering is possible. I've come to the conclusion that two brushless motors will be the best choice.
The rest of the transmission will be a later problem but i will probably design it myself if I go for a one speed solution.

The problem is: I don't know what motors or what ESCs to use. I've looked at the Castle Mamba Max Package , the Hacker C40 Series (don't know which ESC to use with this one), the Genesis Sport Plus Combo. So, here are the questions:
1. Are there any others to concider?
2. Will airplane motors work?
3. How much battery capacity do I need (and what packs do you recommend)?
4. Which radio should I use (must be one with one stick for each track).
5. Are there any good (automatic?) transmissions that I can use?
6. Do you have any other good tips?

// Jesper Aronsson
Jesper is offline   Reply With Quote