Community
Wiki Posts
Search

mr4bx vs Bj4

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2006, 09:08 PM
Tech Elite

when i bought my bx i bought a bunch of parts, i have had some pretty good crashes and the cas was ok, i did manage to break the shock tower. (high speed traction roll into the wall) i doubled both of them up and no problems, i also broke a front shock shaft. if anyone does and doesn't have extra, the assoc blue shock shaft works just fine, actually even better then the stock ones. no side slope, you will need to use the b4 shock pistons because the shaft is just slightly bigger around. i would also recommend the new alum front hinge pin brace. i have broke one of the stock graphite one. ( i crash a lot) lol if your running a high bite blue groove track, try the assoc red rear spring and the assoc blue front spring with 30/35 wt oil.
Old 11-25-2006, 03:13 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 11 (92%+)

For Yokomo parts, use RC Champ (listed on this forum in the manufacturers section.

You usually get a reply in like 10 minutes, and shipping to Australia was never more than 3 working days. Fantastic.

And the prices are great. I'm even buying my proline tires from him now.
Old 11-25-2006, 07:56 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

If the diffs need rebuilt more often are you talking the works, diff balls, rings, thrust assembly?

Or are you guys just saying take apart, clean, inspect, reassemble?

If it's a full rebuild, on 2 diffs, and it has to be done frequently, that could get expensive.

Thanks!
JC
Old 11-25-2006, 01:22 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Bike racer
If the diffs need rebuilt more often are you talking the works, diff balls, rings, thrust assembly?

Or are you guys just saying take apart, clean, inspect, reassemble?

If it's a full rebuild, on 2 diffs, and it has to be done frequently, that could get expensive.

Thanks!
JC
Well you could clean and reassemble the diffs. I usually flip the rings and the thrust washers and add new balls just to make thing nice and smooth. The front diffs outlast the rear by about 3 race days for me. I also buy steel diff balls in bulk (100 3/32" balls for $8.00) and the 1/16" for about the same) so it really is not to expensive to keep the diffs up. You will save money in parts as you won't be breaking as much as with other buggies..........
Old 11-25-2006, 03:07 PM
Tech Addict

Over one season, I only ever cleaned and re-greased the diff. I never used new parts and it was fine.

The problem is that the diff goes off over ONE MEETING in very dusty conditions - so your final the car will not be performing as well. I used strategically placed foam to help seal the diff housing and that helped considerably.

For me the only real qualm was if dirt/rock got into the car it would work its way between the rear drive belt and pulley. If that happened it was race over. It occurred about once every 6 races.

So even if the car is stronger (it is), drives exeptionally well (it does), looks great, and is a pleasure to work on, finishing the race is crucial. That's why I drive a BJ4.
Old 11-25-2006, 10:12 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Thanks for the info guys.

So, are you guys racing outdoors, or indoors? I race indoors mostly, and probably not 4 wheel when I race outdoors, so the tracks are not loose, and too dusty, so I would hope for a little more longevity.

JC
Old 11-26-2006, 12:09 AM
Tech Addict

I'm racing outdoor. I think if I was indoor I'd still have my Yoke.....

This pic gives you an idea of the surface I race on that just kills the Yokomo! I'm almost certain I didn't finish this race.....
Attached Thumbnails mr4bx vs Bj4-mr4.jpg  
Old 11-26-2006, 12:50 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Bike racer
Thanks for the info guys.

So, are you guys racing outdoors, or indoors? I race indoors mostly, and probably not 4 wheel when I race outdoors, so the tracks are not loose, and too dusty, so I would hope for a little more longevity.

JC
99% indoors.......Well, so far all indoors.
Old 11-27-2006, 03:18 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Eggyolkeo
I'm racing outdoor. I think if I was indoor I'd still have my Yoke.....

This pic gives you an idea of the surface I race on that just kills the Yokomo! I'm almost certain I didn't finish this race.....
nothing wrong with the yokomo outdoors. look at the worlds all 4 cars there in the A on a track much worst than pictured.
Old 11-28-2006, 12:56 AM
Tech Addict

Have you got a Yokomo Jelly?

I'm just speaking from experience. I have no reason to lie. In those conditions I would DNF 1 in 2 races. At the worlds I'm sure they had time to rebuild each race, and would have surely closed up the drivetrain with foam or lexan covers.

All I'm saying is that the BJ4 is far less prone to these issues, if prone at all. The Yokomo is great, but has this as a major weakness. I don't care about the worlds drivers, I'm talking as an everyday club racer and from my own experience.
Old 11-28-2006, 07:28 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Eggyolkeo
Have you got a Yokomo Jelly?

I'm just speaking from experience. I have no reason to lie. In those conditions I would DNF 1 in 2 races. At the worlds I'm sure they had time to rebuild each race, and would have surely closed up the drivetrain with foam or lexan covers.

All I'm saying is that the BJ4 is far less prone to these issues, if prone at all. The Yokomo is great, but has this as a major weakness. I don't care about the worlds drivers, I'm talking as an everyday club racer and from my own experience.
yup. i've added a lexan cover and sealed up the back one. it does need regular maitenance but i've done 4 meets between diff rebuilds.
Old 11-29-2006, 05:13 AM
Tech Master

Yeah its not so bad if sealed up correctly....
Old 11-29-2006, 07:35 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Although ive personally only been in the off-road scene for about 3yrs...Im a 17yr brat with parent’s money ive had a losi xx-4, losi xxx-4, bj4 (original), yokomo super dogfighter 2 special and regular, and a kyosho zx-5. If you really want to start racing in 4wd completive then there is only 2 ways 2 go. Bj4 worlds or a lazer. Either way you’re going to spend 450-550 on either. Bj4 worlds comes ready to go for about 485 shipped 2 your door and have excellent customer service not 2 mention anything you need for it will be at your door in 2 days for about 6 bucks. The lazer you need 2 shop around a bit and buy a few extras but you can get all but alumin knuckles from amainhobbies. Personally I got the worlds kit for my zx-5 but a guy at my track has the carbon works kit. Either way you will spend the same. There both great cars and perform alsome. Hope this helps
Old 11-29-2006, 08:13 PM
Tech Adept

i agree zx5 is very strong. needs a couple if hop-ups, but very easy to make it bullet proof.

in 5 meets and a few days practice, only thing i broke has been 2 shock towers.