Community
Wiki Posts
Search

One way diff?

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2006, 09:18 PM
Tech Regular

Default One way diff?

I'm buying a xxx4 this week. I'm racing 2wd buggy at the moment. What is the bennifit of a one way diff on a 4wd buggy? The track that I race on is a blue grove track. Please tell me the pros and cons on this.

Thanks
Doug
Old 10-25-2006, 09:43 AM
Tech Master

The oneway will make the 4wd behave more like your 2wd buggy when turning into a corner because it allows the front wheels to disengage under braking and coasting but when you get on the power the front wheels lock together giving more traction and stability out of the corner. The best oneways to get for the XXX-4 are the english made ones. They are more heavy duty and last much longer than the one made by Losi. The Losi unit was made for onroad and doesn't holdup very well offroad. The English oneway can be had at www.4wdrc.com
Old 10-25-2006, 01:31 PM
Tech Regular

Thanks! I'll be aware of getting the one way. I will try the stock front diff first, so I know what that feels like. As I've read, I'm sure I will go to it. Thanks for the suggestion about the english one way. I'd rather spend the money once.
Doug
Old 10-25-2006, 03:11 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Being sort of new at this I can only say that the one way on my xxx4 made a world of difference!!!. Just like turning your truck on a dime!..Then squeeze the trigger and the 4wd kicks in and the thing disappears. I picked up the Losi unit and have not had any bad luck yet, that being said I am sure the English unit is superior
Old 10-25-2006, 04:36 PM
Tech Initiate

I have both types of one-way and much prefered the losi unit.

The english / apex / dc racing unit is substantially heavier than the losi from memory something like 5 times heavier. This extra weight affects how the car handles jumps and also how the car accelerates.
Old 10-25-2006, 04:47 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

interesting....not to mention the 80 bucks..
Old 10-25-2006, 04:55 PM
Tech Master

The losi unit blows out oneway bearings too easy. This was even acknowledged by team losi. Scoreing certain parts of the losi unit helps make it live longer. The extra weight up front might help give the xxx-4 better steering too. If you ever get a chance to run an XX-4 you will notice you get better steering and bump handling from its more forward weight distribution. Converting to an X-5 will give you handling similar to the XX-4 but with the added benefit of a one belt drivetrain like the XXX-4.

Last edited by sport10; 10-25-2006 at 05:05 PM.
Old 10-26-2006, 02:19 PM
Tech Regular

I was talking to the guys at my track last night. They were telling me that because our track is A blue grove and very tight, that NOT using a one way would help in the turns because of the bind that 4wd has would act as a brake. They told me that if I went to a bigger track that I would need a One way. I understand the bind that 4wd has. I drive a grand cherokee that is full time 4wd, the bind is there. I would assume it would be the same. We will see. Most of the guys at the track use the one way, but they advised me that I don't need it there. Kinda conflicting I feel, I guess i need to learn for my self. Thanks for the feed back.
Doug
Old 10-26-2006, 08:09 PM
Tech Master

All I can say is to run the oneway and see if it helps your times. In most instances a oneway helps a 4wd have sharper turn in and because it brakes with only the rear wheels helps to control spinout in the corners. These two traits would seem to make it ideal for a tight course especially if there are quite a few 180 degree turns.
Old 10-27-2006, 12:24 AM
Tech Initiate

Anybody else have a problem with the outdrives not staying in the one way bearing hub? I've got the springs in the outdrive, and limiters in the shocks, but it still comes out real easy and I already ruined one bearing...
Old 10-27-2006, 07:29 AM
Tech Fanatic

I consider the track layout when deciding which to use. If there's a lot of braking corners use a diff. If it has smooth flowing turns use the one-way. Maybe I'll use the one-way in qualifying and go to a diff for the main so I can dive into corners harder.

Also pay attention to how your car flys and lands with a diff or a one-way. If there's a 180 right after landing and you need to get on the brakes on the back side use a diff. If its a 90 after the landing and you need to scoot out of there use a one-way.

If the track has little kicker jumps that always kick the front end down I like to have the one-way because it seems to keep the front end a little higher and it rolls away better when landing front wheels first.

As for keeping your one-way healthy make sure that the dogbone pins do not bind on the drive cup or the little ring on the drive cup. Check your drive cups often to make sure they are perfectly smooth. I burnish the slots of my drive cups so the pins slide easier.
Old 10-27-2006, 09:58 AM
Tech Regular

Thanks for the last post. My track does have 180 turns at the landing ramp on several turns. that post made a lot of sence to me.
Old 10-27-2006, 12:48 PM
alb
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

So, What would a center one-way (on a shaft car) do differently than a front one-way?
Old 10-27-2006, 01:33 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 35 (100%+)

A center oneway is a little less aggressive on power than a front one-way. A front one way is basically a spool on power.

I always run a one-way of some kind on a 4whl offroader. Small tight slick track, big open high bite tracks, blue groove, tacky clay, loamy. The problem for me is I like alot of corner entry steering and you just cant get it with full time 4wd. Tires only have so much traction available to them, so if your using some traction for braking, you have less that you can use for steering.
Old 11-06-2006, 06:43 AM
Tech Elite

Check the Tech page and the forum on www.4wdrc.com for lots of info on various 1-ways and infor on making a Losi unit last as long as possible.