R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Old 11-05-2006, 12:46 PM   #1
Tech Rookie
Default Gas problem.

Sorry if this doesn't go here, mods please move it if need be.

Ive had a Nitro R/C car for a couple of years in storage, cause the gears stripped a while back and we never got replacements. Today i went to the store to get replacements, and the guy said to make sure it starts before wasting my money on new gears. So i went back home with new gas and tried starting it up. No-go. I tear the parts off the chasi of the car and clean everything out (the only thing i didnt take apart was the engine, im not familiar with them enough)

I found that if i put a drop of gas directly into the carb under the spark plug, it starts up for about 2 seconds and uses that gas, then dies because there isnt a flow of gas in. The tubes are clean, and as far as i know the part where you plug the tube into is clean. The only thing I can think is there is a clog of gas or something in the engine before it reaches the carborator.

Anyone have any suggestions on what to do?

EDIT: Fixed it. My uncle came over who knows a lot about engines and he got it running great.

Last edited by D3luxe; 11-05-2006 at 02:36 PM. Reason: [RESOLVED]
D3luxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2006, 02:40 PM   #2
Tech Master
Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

hey Dude,

Do u have a a fuel filter? clean the GAUSE out and blow through it.
Also, obviously you buy fuel from hobby shops?
Check you have no blockages in your carb with water or yellow honey looking gell throughout your engine. Most hobby shop fuel , after a while in your engine you will see yellow honey gell form in your engine. This is causes because of poor fuel. Hobby Shop fuel is "usually" made in china.

Try and get your hand on Angus Nitro, made in U.S.A but availible everywhere. It is best for your engine and has best quality.

Also,it sounds like a good case of "Glow Plug" , unscrew the glow plug out the top of your engine and put the glow starter on it and see if it glows. If it glows its ok, if it glows but takes time, i suggest u replace it.
This is all i can think of, but you should pull your engine down and check it. Just make sure that when u put ur engine back together, clean it out with nitro,unleaded fuel to clean all dirt or dust.

" It takes a lot of things to go right, but only one thing to go wrong to lose a race "
HEI | NBHC.com | Model Engines | World Hobbies
Jarred King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2006, 04:57 PM   #3
Tech Addict
Trader Rating: 36 (100%+)

sounds like there's a hole in your fuel line between the tank and the pipe. ( the pipe pressure rise the fuel tank, pushing fuel to ther carb)
Mik G is offline   Reply With Quote