R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Electric Off-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-off-road-4/)
-   -   lipo speed control ? (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-off-road/134661-lipo-speed-control.html)

fordman86 10-27-2006 06:02 PM

lipo speed control ?

I am think of going lipo but I think you need to have some sort of cut off for when the pack gets low. I 've seen it in the fourm of an add on one but what speed controls have it as a feature? Also lets say you run a 4800 orian pack down to the shut off point how long does it take to charge it? As far as charger I have the ice all ready.

kuzo 10-27-2006 06:10 PM

If you want a brushed/brushless combo ESC, the LRP Sphere Competition has a lipo cutoff. Novak just came out with a cutoff that can be used with any ESC - Smart Stop. Shuts off throttle input when voltage drops to the cutoff.

Charging the platinum with my Ice takes a bit over an hour from completely discharged to full capacity. I usually don't fill though, after it switches to the CV portion of the charge it takes a long time for a small amount of MAh.

fordman86 10-27-2006 06:13 PM

So around an hour but If I bought two packs could run 3-5 5 min heats no trouble and then charge them at home?

Turbo Joe 10-27-2006 06:46 PM

Yep...when I run with my 4800s, a 5 minute heat only takes 1600 or so mAh to get it all the way back up. I run 4wd Mod with a 5800/SS+.

The only cutoff you need are your eyeballs. When you see it going slow, go charge it. Trust me...you'll notice it before you hurt it.

kuzo 10-27-2006 06:51 PM

That's the idea. I don't race at this point but when I run with my kids, I get at least 20 minutes nonstop running. Since you get the same performance start to finish with them you don't have to worry about running them through 2-3 runs.

WheelNut 10-27-2006 07:14 PM

If your bashing around I would say definately get a cutoff or an ESC that has an ESC, because when your bashing sometimes you'll be driving slow anyways and you wont notice the batteries dying.

fordman86 10-27-2006 07:56 PM

This would be just for my racer run nitro in the summer. So I would only need maybe one if I charge it up between heats. How long does it take to do the 1600 mah's?

Turbo Joe 10-27-2006 08:25 PM

Originally Posted by fordman86
This would be just for my racer run nitro in the summer. So I would only need maybe one if I charge it up between heats. How long does it take to do the 1600 mah's?

20-25-ish to go all the way up. You can get 95% of the way there in maybe 10-15 minutes. I always charge at 1C, which is 4.8A for a 4800 battery.

The nice thing is that you don't really need to charge them all the way up...just get what you need into them when you can. You can top them off or whatever...run them all the way out...it doesn't matter to the battery.

These are great batteries. :nod:

fordman86 10-27-2006 08:57 PM

So the big things to watch is the charge rate and the cutoff point other than that there preaty safe.

fordman86 10-27-2006 09:13 PM

Any on pack better than the other ? orion , peak

I see fusion has a 7400 7.4v pack.

WheelNut 10-27-2006 09:46 PM

Max amps packs are popular, they have a 6000mah pack that is really cheap and drops right in. A guy at the local track has some, they work really well, huge run time. He did cook one from over discharging it though. No flames or anything though. From what I can gather the Orion 4800 is the most durable easiest to use pack out there. Its capacity is pretty weak though.

Turbo Joe 10-27-2006 09:52 PM

I know a guy that bought a MaxAmp 6000 battery and my Peaks will smoke his for runtime. Not even close.

The 4800 number is supposed to be some equivalency deal with a NiMh, but the true capacity is much higher. They aren't as powerful voltage-wise as the top NiMh batteries at least for the first couple minutes of a run, but they're up there towards the top...especially when you're still out there running and they're on the second or third pack...LOL

I've only gotten mine to dump once -- ever. I usually get bored or break the car first. :)

fordman86 10-27-2006 10:24 PM

The orian and peaks are close to the same price with orian being 5.00 more. So is a toss up. I guess what ever one I get a better deal on when I buy one. Thanks for all the replys.

dallasv8 10-27-2006 10:59 PM

Tekin

im pretty sure Tekin is working on lipo batteries and speed controls that can handle them as well as 1/10 brushless systems www.teamtekin.com

fordman86 10-28-2006 07:31 AM

They aren't as powerful voltage-wise as the top NiMh batteries at least for the first couple minutes of a run, but they're up there towards the top...especially when you're still out there running and they're on the second or third pack...LOL

Thats the idea of them thay don't drop off the power like other packs they stay the same the whole run right.