Wiki Posts
Search

AE Parts Question

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2006, 11:21 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default AE Parts Question

I've noticed that he new AE parts packages don't show the US flag up top anymore and have a new blue/white design. On the back (B4/T4 plastic parts) they still say "Made in the USA" in bold, but also made in China in small print on the lower left. So which is it??? Are the parts still US made or over seas now that teh are part of TTR?? Just curious...thanks.
Old 10-25-2006, 09:51 PM
Tech Initiate

all team ass. parts are now made over seas. but since there are usa design and some will be TTR design depending on the car you buy the packages are simialr now. but since thunder tiger bought them i expect all packaging to change. yet any team ass. design will be from the same people and they will be usa but the will be built, manufactured, and packaged in china.
Old 10-26-2006, 10:07 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Well that kinda sucks.
Old 10-26-2006, 10:17 AM
Tech Initiate

"Made in USA" doesn't mean as much as it used to these days IMO. A lot of stuff, if sourced properly and monitored for QC properly (which a lot are now) from overseas is quite good these days. Pretty hard to screw up cnc'd parts or molded parts anyways.....
Old 10-26-2006, 11:03 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 64 (100%+)

Originally Posted by johnnyboydh
"Made in USA" doesn't mean as much as it used to these days IMO. A lot of stuff, if sourced properly and monitored for QC properly (which a lot are now) from overseas is quite good these days. Pretty hard to screw up cnc'd parts or molded parts anyways.....
Lower grade materials/metals and casting instead of machining are two examples of why out sourcing overseas isnt always a positive. Had I know that AE had gone this route, I would NOT have decided to switch back from Losi. I honestly think its pathetic for them to have done this, TTR owned or not. The sole reason for the switch was larger profits, which is easily seen in the lack of a price drop on kits. Im not saying that they shouldnt try to run a successful business, but if youre going to outsource with lower quality then at least price it as such(instead of pricing as if it were "assembled" in the USA).
Old 10-26-2006, 04:43 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by johnnyboydh
In the never ending quest to make everything cheaper, anything can get screwed up. CNC machining can be trashed by attempting to run the tools just one more shift, old sloppy worn out ways on the machines can shift around..... Never ending list of stuff to mess up.

Molding is the same way. How much regrind is in the plastic? How fast are they cycling the mold? Are the parts coming out 1/2 a degree away from being like a chocolate bar that's been sitting on the dash of your car......

"if sourced properly and monitored for QC"........... says it all. IF.......
Old 10-26-2006, 04:52 PM
Tech Rookie

I ordered some parts from the US a few weeks ago (i'm in the UK). I opened up a pack of wishbones and they are definatly different to the 'standard' plastic ones. The material is lighter in colour, lighter in weight and has excess material where the parts are moulded together.

I'm hoping the characteristics (flex) is the same as the 'old' plastic. But i can feel in my hand that they are not. They have a cheap feel about them.
Old 10-26-2006, 05:12 PM
Tech Addict

You just described the Carbon parts. Are you sure you aren't just used to the Composite stuff?
Old 10-26-2006, 05:16 PM
Tech Rookie

No, i've ran associated long enough to know the difference between plastic and graphite. This isn't graphite, their graphite parts feel heavyer than this !!

ALL my parts are like this (wishbones, shock towers, U braces, hubs etc), they are supposed to be the standard composite parts, all came in NON factory team packaging and all have the same looks and feel. They look very different to the normal plastic as it is alot lighter.
Old 10-26-2006, 05:24 PM
Tech Legend

Originally Posted by AndyMoore
Lower grade materials/metals and casting instead of machining are two examples of why out sourcing overseas isnt always a positive. Had I know that AE had gone this route, I would NOT have decided to switch back from Losi. I honestly think its pathetic for them to have done this, TTR owned or not. The sole reason for the switch was larger profits, which is easily seen in the lack of a price drop on kits. Im not saying that they shouldnt try to run a successful business, but if youre going to outsource with lower quality then at least price it as such(instead of pricing as if it were "assembled" in the USA).
Maybe you forgot ?
When T.T. purchased Ae they also received Ae`s private formula so they too could produce the plastic for Ae parts and maybe even future T.T. parts...
Old 10-26-2006, 05:25 PM
Tech Rookie

How can i forget when my entire car is made out the suppositive same material? i get the SAME replacement parts and they are very different??
Old 10-26-2006, 05:29 PM
Tech Legend

Just telling you Ae plastic was a big part of the price T.T. paided when they brought the company....

I`v purchase parts in these so called new bag`s and have not notice any change in the quality of the parts...
Old 10-26-2006, 05:32 PM
Tech Rookie

Oh no, don't get me wrong I understand that. But the material is definatly different.

heres a picture:
http://paulrotheram.doughtyuk.net/misc/STA41360.JPG

the front is the 'new' stuff, the rear is the old stuff.
Old 10-26-2006, 05:38 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Vegaspilot
Well that kinda sucks.
Ditto. With my first B4 (early run) being probably the best quality AE kit I've had, I'd sure hate to have to go back to hand-fitting parts....although that's much easier to deal with than poor materials quality. But sadly, being "made in the U.S." isn't a guarantee of quality anymore, either.... just ask the Losi guys about EA3.
Old 10-26-2006, 05:43 PM
Tech Legend

Well, I just did a rebuild with the new bag parts ..
already 3 club races and 3 days of practice in between...

I`v have not notice anything different in the parts performance...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.