Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Beginner Truggie

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2006, 08:39 AM
Tech Regular

Default Beginner Truggie

I currently run on road once or twice a month. oval and at tamiya.

I am new to off road and am seriously thinking about the new Kyosho rtr 1/8 Truggie to begin with. I have read and heard good things about this Truggie. Is this a good car to start with? comes with fm radio and engine by OS for all for $400. sound good!!!

Any other suggestions? I have heard that the better truggies are, Kyosho, Mugen and that Xray will have one soon.

thanks
wn
Old 10-23-2006, 09:54 AM
Tech Initiate

Depending on how much you want to spend and what equipment you have, the Jamming X1-CRT truggy is a very good truggy to consider.
Old 10-23-2006, 11:20 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I just bought the Kyosho ST US and as a long time RCer and racer all I can say is that this may be the best RTR I have ever seen. The build quality is excellent. I changed the diff grease for diff oil (10/20/3 f/c/r) right away also to check screws. All the screws were snug and the shocks were filled.

The radio is an AM 27MHz but is an exception one for an RTR. It is an Airtronics 12 model memory with computer set up. Very similar to the MX3 FM radio. Since I have several minis using 27MHz it was a no-brainer to use the radio with those. I use a Futaba 3PK with Spektrum so naturally I swapped out the radio and I had a couple digital servos sitting around so I swapped those out as well.

I very pleased with the handling but it definitely needs sway bars front and rear.
Old 10-25-2006, 04:52 AM
Super Moderator

Location: Singapore ̡͌ ̴̡ı̴̴̡ ̡̡͡|̲̲̲͡͡͡ ̲▫̲͡ ̲̲̲͡͡π̲̲͡͡ ̲̲͡▫̲̲͡V
Trader Rating: 76 (100%+)

The new Team VTX-ST1 1/8 4wd nitro truggy rtr looks really good too..a nice price to boot too...check it out

Team VTX Homepage
Old 10-25-2006, 07:38 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

The Kyosho is a very good truggy and so is the Jammin. Some people dislike the ready to run radio. But for the budget if you're just getting started you can always upgrade servos and radio gear to something nicer later.
Old 10-25-2006, 09:06 AM
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 294 (100%+)

I would make sure and ask those who have owned the truggy rtr version what they needed right away to correct issues with it. From what I have read, the Jammin CRT RTR has had some issues with flex that required changing out some of the parts right away to correct the issue.

Whatever you go with, its a good idea to give it an initial teardown and rebuild. You get to know how it goes together, as well as correct anything the factory missed (like loctite).
Old 10-25-2006, 09:18 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

The Kyosho is a great truck, I just don't like the Phillups Head screws...been spoiled with allen screws for a while now. Nothing against the Kyosho, just something to think about when you'll end up spending all that time wrenching on it...
Old 10-25-2006, 09:56 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

LOSI MUGGY!

much better equipment than any RTR truggy on the market and better quality all the way around.

Last edited by mach51; 10-25-2006 at 11:45 AM.
Old 10-25-2006, 07:00 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)
Default losi muggy

i have the muggy and it is awesome very quick and reliable it is great for club racing and parts are easy to find
Old 10-25-2006, 09:28 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 115 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Funkymojo
The new Team VTX-ST1 1/8 4wd nitro truggy rtr looks really good too..a nice price to boot too...check it out

Team VTX Homepage

Great prices, looks good.. but what about parts support? Anyone run these? I would look at these if I knew you could get parts easily. Build looks decent.
Old 10-27-2006, 11:33 AM
Tech Regular

Thanks all for the advice.
the VT is probably out of the question, there are no hs in southern cal to support it.

I am leaning toward the Kyosh, except they are having issues regarding supplying the lhs with parts. th has pulled all kits and parts from normal list of kits and parts.

I hear the losi is good too. they are local and that is a potential source.

my lh sells the HPI hellfire, any body run this Truggy?

I am open to any an all suggestions including buying and building a 1st rate truggy.

thanks again you are all great!

wn
Old 11-02-2006, 07:35 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Since you race on-road, I assume you already have a decent radio.

I would pick up the Mugen MBX5T truggy. It comes with good tires and does not need any upgrades. It's extremely durable. You'll learn more from building the kit (which goes together very nicely). For a motor, pick up a 3-port Novarossi 21BF ($165 shipped online) and a 086 exhaust. Then grab two decent servos. You'll be MUCH more happier in the end than buying any of the RTR kits. Plus the support from Mugen and the Mugen team is top-notch.

Best of luck...

Tony P.
Old 11-02-2006, 08:02 AM
Tech Regular

you must have been reading my mind,
I have been researching the truggies and have been very impressed with the Mugen MBX5t. nice quality and workmanship!!

thanks for the infor on motor and pipe suggestions, cuz i was just wondering what motor/pipe combo would be a good choice! LOL. I was even leaning toward a 3 port engine basing from my experience with .12 3 port engines vs. 5 port engines.

cheers
wn
Old 11-02-2006, 08:42 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

The 21BF is not a P5 or V-Spec, but dang close. For the price, it's a great start. The Mugen truck is geared low too so you don't need a stump puller of a motor.
Old 11-03-2006, 07:58 AM
Tech Regular

Tony P.

Is the difference between the MBXT 5 and the Prospect worth the extra bucks? I imagine I would be needing titanium turn buckles and some chassis braces.

thanks

wayne

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.