Community
Wiki Posts
Search

brushless or not?

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2006, 04:41 PM
Tech Elite

Default brushless or not?

hey yall. ive never raced electric stadium trucks, but i would liek to start racing my kyosho ultima st. i was wondering if anyone knew if it would be better to get a brushless system or if my 17 turn modified would work. it seems to be as fast as most trucks out there when im jumping around in the yard, but im not sure if it can take it on the track.
Old 10-18-2006, 04:50 PM
Tech Regular

welcome to the sport side of the hobby you are about to have more fun than you thought you ever could with your car. for right now just go to the track with the motor you have and have fun, race in the novice class get to know some locals, when your ready to move out of the novice class then you will probably just want a stock motor, so hold off on the brushless for now unless your motor dies or you don't want the maintenance cause what you got will be fine on the track in novice.
Old 10-18-2006, 04:56 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 79 (100%+)

You may even want to get a stock motor for racing. You may not be allowed to race with your mod motor. Use the 17 turn to practice. When you are racing with the stock motor your vehicle will be slower and easier to handle around the track. Enjoy yourself in R/C racing.
Old 10-18-2006, 06:14 PM
Tech Elite

i know a few people in the stadium class. i race my revo most weekends. and if im not racing im out there driving so i know the deal with it all. but i got my ultima a few years back. then got a monster truck and fell in live with it, so i quit driving my race truck as much. im good on the track and im sure i could compete outside the novice class. i race amature with my revo, and i can compete with the pro drivers, but i dont have the right truck for it. theirs are so much nicer then mine.
Old 10-18-2006, 06:34 PM
Tech Fanatic

Depends on the track. I race a 6.5t brushless because i HATE electrical motor maintenance. But on our track, which is very short and very technical - i dont have a speed advantage over the other guys who predominantly use 19t spec motors.

But i wouldnt even consider switching to b/less unless i was already a "comfortable" mod driver.

Prob better off trying your hand at stock before you move in to modified. Brushless power is pretty brutal on these 2wd vehicles!

I also race a revo and MT's are easy "point and shoot" compared to the finess and throttle control required to keep a brushless stadium truck under control
Old 10-19-2006, 05:53 PM
Tech Elite

im sure it is since they are 2wd. i have driven my street car with 2wd because my front diff was broken, but on dirt i know its harder. my track is pretty fast. it has a small section that is kind of tight, but all-in-all the track is pretty open with high speed jumps. i have driven my 2wd on the track, and do ok with the mod on it now, but it is a slightly older motor so that might make an affect compared to the newer, higher rpm motors.
Old 10-19-2006, 06:48 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 79 (100%+)

Originally Posted by streetracer745
im sure it is since they are 2wd. i have driven my street car with 2wd because my front diff was broken, but on dirt i know its harder. my track is pretty fast. it has a small section that is kind of tight, but all-in-all the track is pretty open with high speed jumps. i have driven my 2wd on the track, and do ok with the mod on it now, but it is a slightly older motor so that might make an affect compared to the newer, higher rpm motors.

This slightly older motor. Has it been cut/trued before? If not, you really need to stick to stock because motors wear quick until you cut/true them and replace brushes. Then they are fast again for a few runs. The reason I ask is because you said you drove a 4wd vehicle on the rear only, because the front was broke. A racer does not drive a broken car period. Please don't drive a broken car on the track out of courtesy to other racers. A slight mishap and you'll be very popular for the wrong reason. Just my opinion. Good luck.
Old 10-19-2006, 07:11 PM
Tech Elite

no no i drove my street car with a broken front diff on my street. it wasnt at a track. i know that will mess other people up. no it hasnt been trued. i was about to get new brushess for it, but i dont have a machine to true/cut motors so i havent done that. thats why i was thinkign of getting a mid range brushless for it. because i wouldnt have the maintinence or have to true or cut it. i was thinking something that wasnt built for just racing like a neo-one by AE. like a 2* or something from them, which is like a 11 turn i think. it wont be insanely fast but will be good all around.
Old 10-19-2006, 07:37 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

i'll go against the tide within this thread and say go BL. up until my new xxx-t i was a die hard brushed guy, for no other reason than it's what I knew when i was into RC years ago and now that i've come back within the last year, i stuck with that belief- until now. I have a Mamba Max 7700 for my Losi truck and it's w/o a doubt the most incredible thing i've ever used. I can bash with decent runtimes and incredible power with no worries about burning brushes up, wearing brushes fast or chewing up comms. Let's say you go for a Mamba Max 5700 and it's just too damn fast- simply dial it down with the Castle Link, or, if you don't have a PC, you can go thru it's different modes manually with a system of movements with the TX.

The biggest problem i can see with going BL, if any, is the ability to race locally. Most tracks have a class where you can fit in with BL, but not all.

just make sure you have good batteries because these suckers pull some amps.
Old 10-19-2006, 08:05 PM
Tech Elite

the local tracks allow brushless. i was looking more towards a sensored brushless just because they are considered mroe driveable in slower speeds and are still fast. plus i havent been able to find anything about the mamba and it hasnt hit stores near me. the neo-one is a 11 turn sensored. i run the 4* in my car and love it and the 2* is the same thing only a higher turn and slightly lower rpms. ive heard the ones that arent sensored get more power, but arent as driveable, which is something i really look for in a motor because i just bash around more then i race cause i can only race maybe once a week. like you ive run brushed in my truck just because its what im used to. i just recently went brushless in my car and dont plan on putting anything else in it because its fast as anything, no maintanence, and can still drift great. but in an electric truck im not sure what to look for anymore, because im so used to looking for strokes and everything on a nitro
Old 10-19-2006, 08:57 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

my mamba max setup doesn't cog under any practical conditions. the only time i've seen it cog is reverse to forward under light throttle, but it's very minimal.
Old 10-19-2006, 11:53 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

The mamba is much smoother at low speeds than the novak when both are at the stock ESC settings, no expo on the throttle.
I've been running a Novak 5.5 in my B4 and switched between the novak 4.5 and a Mamba 7700 in a BJ4WE.
the Novaks are punchier. can be nicely adjusted with expo or a trained index finger.
The mamba is butter smooth, but does have a slight pause if you happen to roll backwards. not a big deal, like bigthatch said.
All have crazy pull and top end. The mamba's programming is incredible.
On my touring car, with the Mamba, measured motor temp of 212, ESC was 254. NO THERMAL.
Castle Creation says max temps are 200. oops.

All that said, race what you got. Probably just buy another brushed motor, have a guy at the track cut your comm. Somebody should help you out there. If you race stock, you need the brushed anyway.

If you're gonna stick with it, and move out of a stock class, find your best prices for either system, do the math , and pick what you want to go with.

Me, I'm a diehard brushless. Never go back. ok, except for 19t carpet. dangit.arrrrghhh.

I
Old 10-24-2006, 07:31 PM
Tech Elite

what is the best all around brushless motor for race trucks? one with the right power for speed and torque. something that will run fast as crap and be able to pull the front up. any suggestions?