Wiki Posts
Search

First buggy "Need Help"

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2006, 04:58 PM
Tech Rookie

Default First buggy "Need Help"

Hey guys,

I'm looking to buy my first entry level off road buggy, I've been looking around now for a week and I’m having trouble deciding between "GS Avenger RTR w/B03D & TG3" and the "XTM XT2 (X-Terminator 2) 1/8 RTR".

I can get both of these for the same price "$400 Aus"; however my lack of knowledge is making it hard for me to choose one. I’ve found a lot of good reviews on both of the pro versions of the 2, however nothing on these models in particular.

Any information or advice you could give me would be a great help.

Cheers,

Centy
Old 10-06-2006, 04:03 PM
Tech Adept

I'm in a similar boat to you as well. Thinking about getting back into nitro for the occasional bash and these two seem to be the cheapest way in. Like you I haven't been able to find too much info on either. I'm no expert on the topic but this is what I've found so far.

There is a review of the XTM at rcuniverse.com. But keep in mind this is the american version which I think comes with a different engine. In Oz, the XTM comes with a Force branded motor which depending on who you talk to is a good value entry level motor, or a completely unreliable waste of money.

You can also download the manual from http://oos.modelengines.com.au/comma...key=meng&f_id=[INVALID%20FORM%20VAR]&itemid=GV-XT2

I think the XTM has threaded shocks (so you can adjust ride height) and has a bit more ground clearance than the GS which I like. However the one thing that I don't like about it is that it has a planetary gear diff which looks a bit weak compared to the normal spider gear diff you find in pretty much everything else (personally a bit wary of diff problems after previously having a HPI MT2).

The engine in the GS from what I gather has a much stronger reputation. The quality of materials from my very brief looks also appears to be a bit better than the XTM. However the impression that I'm getting is that the Avenger was a bit of a flop for GS (and so has become their entry level model) and quickly brought out the CL-1 which is their main buggy. The GS also works out a bit cheaper as it comes with the glow igniter and fuel bottle as standard (you need to pay extra to get with the XTM).

Hobbyco is the GS importer in Oz. So its convenient (located in Sydney CBD), but they are also a shop that seems to concentrate on RTR kits so I'm not sure what their parts support is like.
I personally haven't made up my mind yet. But also other buggies in the price range you might want to look at are the ThunderTiger EB-4 (I think some shops are selling older versions for $450), and the Great Vigor Rex (about $450).

Keep us all updated on how you go, and I'll post any more info that I can find as well
Old 10-06-2006, 04:13 PM
Tech Regular

I dont know how strict your being on price but a turmoil rtr or the new losi rtr(not released yet) are both very good. They both come with spectrum radio's which is MUCH better than freq. I dont know the price on the losi but the turmoil is the best rtr for the money.
Old 10-06-2006, 06:50 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Centy
Hey guys,

I'm looking to buy my first entry level off road buggy, I've been looking around now for a week and I’m having trouble deciding between "GS Avenger RTR w/B03D & TG3" and the "XTM XT2 (X-Terminator 2) 1/8 RTR".

I can get both of these for the same price "$400 Aus"; however my lack of knowledge is making it hard for me to choose one. I’ve found a lot of good reviews on both of the pro versions of the 2, however nothing on these models in particular.

Any information or advice you could give me would be a great help.

Cheers,

Centy
My buddy was just asking me the same thing a couple weeks ago. I told him the xtm looked good for the price. So he got it and has been having a good time beating the snot out of it since then. He brought it to show me today and it's still in near new condition and he hasn't broken any parts and he's not the kind of guy who treats stuff nicely. Get what you can afford and have fun with it.
Old 10-08-2006, 07:29 PM
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 294 (100%+)

Another vehicle to consider is the CEN Matrix. you get a very nice radio (MX3 FM) system and excellent servos with the RTR version. They also have a trade in deal going on right now so you can get the RTR version for $300. They take any vehicle, any condition for this.

Its Pro version is the national champ if I remember correctly .
Old 10-08-2006, 09:45 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Jammin is a great starter buggy that you can take to the track too
Old 10-08-2006, 09:56 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Nitroaddicts
Jammin is a great starter buggy that you can take to the track too
I second nitroaddicts on the jammin rtr..
Old 10-09-2006, 07:10 AM
Tech Adept

The Jammin is your best bet for an RTR . great support and great car . The turmoil is a pretty good choice too .
Old 10-09-2006, 07:38 AM
Tech Addict

I am with Eddie on this one also. The Jammin & Turmoil RTR's are both good starter cars.

Eddie do you race at LH?
Old 10-09-2006, 08:57 PM
Tech Rookie

Well thanks for the info guys it’s been a great help

I was leaning towards the XTM after reading what was posted hear, however after calling a few retail outlets I was really disappointed that none them were able to give me any real information on them, one even telling me that “we sell them but know nothing about them”. So in the end I decided to give the Avenger a go. I think the selling point for me really, was the service I received from different outlets and I must say “Hobbyco” to this point have been faultless and they have very extensive parts lists for the products they sell, which can be ordered online.

At the end of the day I’m thinking, this is a new hobby for me, so I’m kinda happy to get the most I can for my money until I find out it’s something I really want to get into, and should that be the case I guess ill be looking at something a little more competitive in the near future.

So thanks again guys for all your information, I have ordered the buggy, but it’s still on its way in the mail. When I get it and give it a good run, ill be sure to come back and let you all know how it performs

Cheers,

Centy
Old 10-10-2006, 05:15 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Just my 2 cents if you haven't bought your buggy yet. You want to keep in mind the availablity of the parts as well. While the XTM and the GS buggies are very good buggies for the price (i have an original X-Terminator that i actually raced), not too many hobby shops stock the parts for either one of these buggies. Hobbypeople.net is the company to order parts thru for XTM cause hobby shops won't buy from them unless they have a minumum of like a grand to order, so it's easier to buy the parts right from thier website. As far as the GS goes, i'm not sure where to get the parts for that. If you buy the Jammin or any OFNA car, most hobby shops stock the parts for those buggies. Same with Mugen, but Mugens are really expensive and not a good buggy for a beginner. Just my $.02.
Old 10-11-2006, 07:35 AM
Tech Adept

Yes Speedbump i race at Leisure , been running truggy lately
Old 10-11-2006, 10:18 AM
Tech Addict

I thought that might have been you. Did you jump on the new GT2 bandwagon? I am thinking about runing either 1/12 scale or getting a GT to race this winter. The indoor buggy thing just doesn't do it for me.
Old 10-11-2006, 10:22 AM
Tech Adept

I have a GT2 on the way , gonna give it a try . Gas truck is fun , i avoid electric like the plague .
Old 10-12-2006, 07:24 AM
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 294 (100%+)

GS is now being distributed by Horizon so if your hobbyshop can get stuff from them, you shouldn't have a problem. Same with CEN.

Thing is with the Jammin RTR is that out of the box, the radio and servos (unless they have changed them) are not adequate for the price you pay. The engine is good from what I have seen however for a first engine and the tires work well.

For me at least, I got my CEN Matrix RTR on the way for $320 shipped NIB, and it comes with a MX3 Radio and dual 144oz servos for steering and throttle. Even though I am going to sell those items (have other electronics to put in), for the money after I sell what I plan to do, I basically got the buggy as a roller with engine and pipe for $200 nib.