R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Electric Off-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-off-road-4/)
-   -   Revo Upgrades (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-off-road/132364-revo-upgrades.html)

bigdogrevo 10-09-2006 10:23 AM

Revo Upgrades

I'm just getting back into this hobby after being involved for a few years when I was a teen (20 years ago). Had an electric back then, but have wanted to get into Nitro for awhile now.

I'm quite the novice, so I may have bitten off more than I can chew. I bought a Revo 2.5. So far I've only upgraded the air filter and added a tail wing.

Any suggestions as to what I should do next? The controller seems pretty cheap compared to what others are using so I was thinking about that. Also, I noticed at local tracks no one is using the tires that came with the kit.

Thanks for any suggestions.

edit: What about starting options? Do people with Revo's continue to use the starting sytem that comes with the kit?

xxx-tkid 10-11-2006 04:05 PM

alright if u want to race get progressive 2 rockers and the traxxas red aluminum pushrods. for radios i would say get a airtronics mx3-s or airtronics m11. I use a box start, the ez start does the job, also switch to a single servo steering system, something high torque.

baih 10-11-2006 04:43 PM

you could upgrade the steering servo. if you go to the traxxas website and go to Slaydens pit pass, there are instructions on how to modify the steering to get it to turn more. there are also rear arms that extend the wheelbase.
you could add a pipe but they are louder than stock.
join the traxxas forums. there is a Revo specfic topic for lots of info.

W.E.D.Jim 10-11-2006 07:43 PM

BigdogRevo, I would get the P2 rockers, they arent much money, but will help handling alot! The Red Pushrods are lighter and bling, but aren't needed, other then being a little lighter(and sometimes weaker for beginners).

Also a better radio will help, but the more important thing is the steering servo. I use any of the better ones from Futaba(9451) or Airtronics(--360).

There are less expensive brands out there too, just make sure you have at least 100+ inch ounces of torque and a transit speed of .16, 60 degrees at 6V or faster.

The last needed mod, imo, is the tires, I like Panther tires, or Proline Bowties on dish wheels if available.

The starter and reverse elimination, as well as the close ratio gear set are hop ups for later on, after you get more familiar with the truck.

Have fun,
...Jim

bigdogrevo 10-12-2006 10:49 PM

thanks for the help

Thanks for the help.

I've decided to go the bump start, mostly because I was forced to do something. Some how 2 teeth in the EZ start connections broke off. I bought RD Racing Revo bump start.

Also ordered the P2 Rockers. I wish I could afford the servo change but just can't do it with all the other stuff I've ordered recently. I did go ahead and get the kit to take out the reverse cuz it was cheap.

Next thing I want to do is tires.

Also appreciate the referral to Slayden's stuff. Alot of different mods there...pretty incredible some of the stuff in there....and I only looked at Part 2. Gonna take me quite a while to get up to speed in this hobby.