Wiki Posts
Search

Starter Box motor question?

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2006, 01:09 PM
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default Starter Box motor question?

I am currently using a ofna black starter box (one with two 540 motors) for 1/10 scale to start my new 8ight. I have to use a heat gun to get the starter to be able to turn over the motor. I have checked the 12v gel cell battery and it makes good power. I am now to assume that the motors are going bad as it has worked in the past to start my .21 engines.
My question is:
Has anyone had any experience using stock motors from electric racing and using them in their starter box as a motor replacement?
I want to use to monster stock trinity motors I have left over from electric racing.
Old 10-06-2006, 02:12 PM
Tech Adept

I've never used stock motors before.

You should be able to get replacement motors from your LHS.
Old 10-06-2006, 10:00 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by sksaha33
I am currently using a ofna black starter box (one with two 540 motors) for 1/10 scale to start my new 8ight. I have to use a heat gun to get the starter to be able to turn over the motor. I have checked the 12v gel cell battery and it makes good power. I am now to assume that the motors are going bad as it has worked in the past to start my .21 engines.
My question is:
Has anyone had any experience using stock motors from electric racing and using them in their starter box as a motor replacement?
I want to use to monster stock trinity motors I have left over from electric racing.

if your having to use a heat gun on the car's engine, then the problem is not with your starter box. the problem is that you probably have a new (and tight) motor and the piston is tight in the sleave. that's the reason you didn't have any problems with your old .21's......they probably had been run in and weren't as tight as some new motors can be.
the problem will go away after you've run the motor some. i've seen this more than several times before, so don't worry, it's a common "problem".
Old 10-07-2006, 06:06 PM
Tech Initiate

thanks but the engine has about 5 or 6 gallons on it and it did it with my RB S7 that has 9 gallons

actually today a guy at the track that runs electric said maybe to just actually clean motors and oil the bushings
Old 10-07-2006, 08:15 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Yeah its the new motor, but also i had the same box and there are weak. get a better starter box.
Old 10-08-2006, 04:52 AM
Tech Initiate

sorry guys.....I must not have been clear........
the car is new........NOT the engine by any means......4-5 gallons on it
I have two silver top ofna boxes with one motor which are very strong but I was able to better line up the 8ight on the black box as its chassis opening is small.
The black box I have has been used to break in and start many other engines
WS7, P5, B3, S5, S7 w/o heat gun