R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Old 10-02-2006, 07:04 AM   #1
Tech Apprentice
Default Offroad Vs OnRoad which is more expensive?

Ok just wondering here... which medium is more expensive? I seems to always get part breakage whenever i hit the dirt with my buggy. My other onroad sedan don't break as much as i seldom crash but i had spend alot on foam tires. As for buggy sports, it's the other way round...

do you guys always gets part breakage in offroad? And i'm starting to feel the pain to un-assemble for cleaning and look for damage or worn out parts after every run. On saturday, a hard front landing cost me a worn steering servo horn, on Sunday, my rear shock dust cover shrek to pieces when it get caught on the ball screw... today, i lost control and bump my buggy into a panel...it now sits on my table awaiting inspection and i'm so tired to care for it today.
stonely0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2006, 07:11 AM   #2
Tech Elite
Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

I have broken about 10:1 parts in onroad vs. offroad. Onroad cars hit things so much harder than offroad cars. Plus, I buy a new set of rears every week in offroad and fronts about every four. In onroad, a new set of 4 everyweek.

Then you figure how much more at a premium horsepower is in onroad and how much harder on motors it is, onroad is definately more expensive.
Jack Smash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2006, 07:16 AM   #3
Tech Regular

If you crash, you break things.

If you don't crash, you won't.

In general, onroad is more expensive due to equipment demands.
Martin Sørlie, 1985, R/C since 1995.
TLR - Spektrum
MartinSorlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2006, 07:43 AM   #4
Tech Addict
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Onroad racing around here means foam tires. Foam tires = $$$ just because they don't last either due to chunking or just wear. Offroad will always have more power than traction so you might get by without premium batteries and motors.
Rysuleod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2006, 08:24 AM   #5
Tech Champion
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I spend alot more with on-road than off. Tires, gears and a few broken parts, compared to my 8th scale buggies, wich rarely need anything. My first set of tires lasted about 6 months, but foams on my NTC3 will last about 1 raceday(sometimes I can practice on last race's foams, but they quickly wear out). My 8th scale buggies can take a harsher beating then my on-road cars, but, it's only my NTC3 that's kinda "brittle"(lots of carbon parts). It makes sense though, the NTC3 is going 50+ on a regular basis, and the 8th scale buggies rarely break 40 on the small track I race at...

I think it's best to say:

If you crash, you break things.

If you don't crash, you won't.

In general, onroad is more expensive due to equipment demands.

R40Victim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2006, 08:35 AM   #6
Tech Champion
Trader Rating: 79 (100%+)

I've never raced off-road. On road is expensive to race though. I have been told by numeruos guys that raced on and offroad that onroad is more expensive.
Mr. Shookie goes home 10-06-08. Bill Levinson 4-14-15
Thanks to the SoCal guys that help me & "Tha Man" Paul Lemieux
Racing TC Class where allowed with what I have.
F. Mendoza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2006, 08:37 AM   #7
Tech Elite
R/C Tech Charter Subscriber
Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Shookie Send a message via MSN to Mr. Shookie

On Road is far more expencive unless you are racing Carpet on rubber tires...

Other wise it will drag you to the bank.

I would say....
If you want to race competatively you are going to be paying out the bucks..
Matched packs, Race motor every two to three weeks, new brushes every run, new tires everyweek.
Its just that simple.

I am trying to be less competative and have more fun as I don't have as much time anymore.
I can go Lipo and brushless and race carpet rubber and that is about as cheap as you can go..as tires last about three weeks.

Off road can be just as expencive but its all in tires as batts and motors aren't as crucial as on road.

Hope that helps,
-Shookie <><
All who love the LORD JESUS I praise with you.1 Cor 10:31
Team HOLY Rollers (Team Manager)
The Church is a Hospital for Sinners not a Museum for Saints.
RcTech Feedback <>< RC Tech Subcriber #92
Mr. Shookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2006, 01:37 PM   #8
Tech Adept

I have to assum you are only comparing electric onroad to electric offroad...

I've been racing offroad since the JRX-2. In offroad it's much easier to skimp out on motor / batt maintenance. Generally, tires last longer (and you don't need four, like onroad). Sure we've all been to one run tracks, but a good club will have rules in place to prevent that.

On small tracks, I've seen 1+ second lap time differences with old motors/arms or batts with my JRXS. On bigger tracks I've seen up to 3 seconds per lap from my practice gear to my qualifing / race gear! I still use my old 3300s as practice batteries for my MF2 (stock or 19T).

In terms of maintenance, with my JRXS, I've spent an entire month and only had to rebuild the shocks and diff - more because I was bored (not including motor / batt maint)- and the blast of compressed air. Plus a new set of tires, each week. In offroad on a blue grove indoor track, running brushless and lipo - I've been able to do the same.

I find that maintenance costs of offroad are usually higher, because parts wear things out faster. But the cost of some a-arms, shock shafts, ball cups, ball studs, etc., do not overcome the costs of competative TC racing (new motors, arms, batts). Seems like for every big event, I'm picking up a new battery pack for my TCs.

I wouldn't maintain an electric offroad stable, if it weren't for my TCs. My MF2, gets all my old JRXS electronics (old 19T and stock motors, brushless and batts).
sepirts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2006, 03:47 PM   #9
Tech Fanatic
Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Every hobby is expensive and people's opinions differ.

Is the cost of racing any class worth it?

For most of us here we'd say "of course".

Do you like watching a touring car or a buggy/truck burning up the track.

If you want cheap racing, consider 1/18th class. I guess my 18b has cost me $40 max in the past 10 months. It is awesome fun.

There really is no limit to your spending if you want to spend.
B4Bandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2006, 04:08 PM   #10
Tech Master
Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

You want an Expensive hobby??? try shifter kart racing. That put a mean dent in the wallet for a year and half.

I can't say about electric racing as I haven't touched the stuff since 95 other than a little TC parking lot action with 19 turns around 2000.

On the Gas side of things with On-Road vs Off Road

1/10th gas truck is far Cheaper than 1/10 TC Foams will eat you alive.

When you move up to the big boy class of 1/8th's It's a bit closer but I still think On-Road cost more if for no other reason than a competitive 1/8th .21 on-road motor is like $500.00 and up and they drink WAY more fuel than a dirt car.
rdeppen is offline   Reply With Quote