Wiki Posts
Search

Pro's and Con's of the various 1/8 scale buggies

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2006, 04:15 PM
Tech Initiate

FE Jammin' X1 CR

Pros:
The car seems to work very well on any track condition; blue groove, loamy, wet, loose. Also is a great bang for your buck compared to the kyosho and the mugen considering all the things you get for such a great price. Can literally get parts everywhere since they are distributed through OFNA. Very durable, haven't managed to break anything all season and as for wear, the center front and rear driveshafts have developed alot of slop but no wear on outdrives, diff gears or shock bodies.

Cons:
The wear and tear on this buggy is the only thing that puts it back as i believe everything else on the buggy works outstanding.
Old 09-26-2006, 04:39 PM
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 294 (100%+)

Anyone run the Matrix Pro and have opinions? They have a pretty good deal going on with an RC swap promotion. They take any RC roller, no matter what it is and its condition and sell you the new matrix pro kit for $320, or the RTR for $300, ARR $200.
Old 09-27-2006, 01:19 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

One thing to ask yourself is this: "Do I want to spend a lot of time working on the buggy to keep it running or do I want to spend time racing and working on setups?"

Besides that there are really 3 major cars out right now that typically dominate races at all levels around the world.

The Kyosho has shock bladder issues but otherwise the car will generally refuse to fall apart no matter how bad your wrenching skills. You can find a good setup that will work almost anywhere but the steering can be twitchy on power. This gets worse when a shock bladder blows during a long main. This car can finish races with little maintenance but if you don't stay up on the shock bladders it will be inconsistent.

Mugen has the shock body problem but the new MBX5r kit does have coated shocks like a Kyosho and probably the best shock cartridge design I have seen on any RC car. The diffs seem to go through oil quicker than the Kyosho or Jammin but the plastic probably remains slop free the longest of any car. It may require more setup time when going from track to track but is still pretty consistent. The pillowballs need to be kept somewhat clean to keep at optimum performance.

The Jammin is durable but some parts do wear faster. On the plus side you can drive it with significant suspension damage and still get around the track. It is not very setup sensitive which allows it to work on almost any track with little setup time. It is similar to a K2/K3. If a sloppy car ticks you off avoid this one. This car can be abused and the handling will not suffer much.

There are many other cars that are good but I consider these to be the elite cars for now. The Losi is still unproven since it has only been available a week. The Associated buggy will be available at some point also. Right now I believe those are the only two cars that might join the elite 3 above.

Xray has a nice kit but the knock on it has been that it requires setup changes as the track conditions change which they often do during a main...if you run somewhere where the track does not change (indoor clay?) it can be dominant once you get the setup right.
Old 09-27-2006, 01:47 PM
Tech Adept

windellmc, well said!!

Parts support for the 8ight is a little tight, now. But Losi is known for great parts support. I'm sure in a few weeks, every part you could break would be available in great supply. They are being parts out on ebay now...

I've switched from Jammin to the 8ight. Both kits are great. Both hold their setups really well.

The only Cons that I can rate the 8ight with (beside the low part support due to the new kit) is the fuel tank (I'm not an initial fan of the flapper) and the steering links aren't captured by a washer.

I am a huge fan of the 8ight clutch! And the radio tray is really easy to get out for cleaning.

** I should note that Losi is way ahead of the curve for parts support. I can't remember the last time a new kit / first kit had this much suport. In fact, most of the parts you would want spares for, have been available all month. * *
Old 09-27-2006, 01:57 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 86 (100%+)

"I am a huge fan of the 8ight clutch!"

Me too but you will re-think it when you see what shoes for it cost.
Old 09-27-2006, 04:09 PM
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 294 (100%+)

Thanks for all the info guys.

Does anyone have an opinion on the Matrix Pro?
Old 09-27-2006, 05:19 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 56 (100%+)

Why are the price on the shoes such a heated topic ? They would be "above normal" price if you were only getting 3 shoes.The price is all relevant to the number of and longevity of the shoes. You gotta pay for the extra one, the losi is a four shoe clutch .
Old 09-27-2006, 05:40 PM
Tech Elite

My advice is to get any of the top kits. KYO,MUGEN,JAM,LOSI, OFNA Hyper 8 or XRAY. All of them have there small quirks as there is no perfect buggy. But the key is spending some time getting to learn the car and setup the car to your liking. I've seen to many times somebody will buy a kit, take it to the track one time and struggle with it then its on ebay(theres an 8ight on ebay right now). It takes time to learn a car...Stick with whatever kit you decide for atleast a entire season unless you see that the issue is mechanical and you cannot over come it....

In no particular order

Kyosho 777 SP2- I would recommend Tony screw kit, and aluminum Knuckles..then run it
Jammin FTE- Run it out of the box, watch slop and outdrive/Uni wear.... EASY TO DRIVE
Mugen Prospec- Run it out of the box
Losi- havent had the opprtunity to build and test mines yet...
OFNA Hyper 8 --Is always overlooked but for price,parts and performance. It may be the top buggy. IT IS VERY CAPABLE...
Xray- great kit, but has the potential to have to many adjustments for a beginner. I see alot of people running Jammin Big Bore shocks on the xb8 also.
OCM- is coming out with a kit to watch out for...you have never heard of it BUT YOU WILL....

IF you want as close to perfection as it gets....the K3 is the car...but finding a NIB or decent used kit is the hard part.
Old 09-27-2006, 10:26 PM
Tech Lord

Originally Posted by underway
Why are the price on the shoes such a heated topic ? They would be "above normal" price if you were only getting 3 shoes.The price is all relevant to the number of and longevity of the shoes. You gotta pay for the extra one, the losi is a four shoe clutch .
Because everyone else's (except Werks) were already outrageous. With the losi, if you want to replace the stock shoes you must spend 10% of the kit's total value for two sets of 4 shoes. That's ridiculous.
Old 09-27-2006, 10:41 PM
Tech Elite

Well I guess you might want to ask Ron at werks to make a suitable replacment. I will agree that the werks clutch shoes last alot longer. But its not an option right now...SO if you want to run the 8ight you gotta pay for the shoes. I would start lookin on ebay for people parting out kits
Old 09-28-2006, 05:52 AM
Tech Lord

So far it looks like any Mugen or Kyosho type clutch will work. You must use the Losi clutch bell because it reaches 3-4mm farther and regular bells won't reach the spur gear. I already mentioned it to Ron at Werks.