R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Old 09-21-2006, 08:36 PM   #16
Tech Apprentice
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Aaron P
Many people have strong opinons on the "best" method to get the tires off the rims...boiling, pet 'em in the oven, and acetone. I've tried each method, and for me, acetone is the lesser of the evils. True, it destroys the foam, but foams are inexpensive. I've removed and reused many a set of tires with this method, and the effects on the rubber are minimal. Soak the tires overnight in a covered container, and would be wise to use some latex gloves when handling the tires after soaking. After you get them remounted, you can either run them, or if you use a "tire washer", add a small amount of Simple Green to it and it helps get the "sticky" back. Now, someone's probably going to come on here behind me, and tell you "Don't use the Simple Green!" but that's just something else that there are also strong opinions about, that's just how I do it. I'm surprised someone hasn't come on to say "No! Don't use acetone!!!" I don't use the oven, cause I'm just not down with the smell, or heating the chemicals on those things in the device I cook food in. Boiling is ok, but the tires need to be in the pot at a heavy rolling boil for some time to really be effective, and be careful not to burn yourself. Let those puppies cool first!

I agree with Aaron 100%, SIMPLE GREEN is about the best rubber tire cleaner and conditioner there is IMO.I still havent tried the aceatone trick but I will be getting some soon to try.
Old Fart Racing
old_fart_racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2006, 09:13 PM   #17
Tech Elite
Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

I've done the acetone thing for a couple years now. Works great.
Simple green is awesome on tires. Best trick I've learned so far.
jbrow1 is offline   Reply With Quote