Community
Wiki Posts
Search

reciever purchase??

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2006, 10:27 PM
Tech Addict

Default reciever purchase??

hi i need a new reciever whats the best reciever to buy or would any reciever do the job?
is there a big difference in the different brands/models.

and then seperately from above what would be the best application for an older style ko propo ex-5 radio with analog servos though may use digital ones later on so basically do higher end recievers work better and aside from that do they work well with any radio on their own or do you need high end radios to make them their full potential?
thanks.
Old 09-19-2006, 05:53 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Unless you're buying a new radio system it would be best to get a receiver that is comaptible with your current radio. In other words, a Futaba or Hitec 75MHz FM receiver will not work with a KO radio. Also keep in mind that you need to stick to the band you have (27MHz, 40MHz, 75Mhz, AM or FM).

What radio and band are you using?
Old 09-19-2006, 06:30 PM
Tech Addict

yeah i know all of that im looking for an am 29 mhz 2 channel for my ko propo ex-5 radio so if i got a futaba or spectrum 29 am 2 chan it should work or would it be better for compatibility to find a ko propo reciever which they dont make many so id say a futaba is what my lhs carries.
Old 09-19-2006, 06:58 PM
Tech Master

This is an excellent question. I too have wondered if Futaba and Hitec use negative shift recievers like they do in their 72 Mhz band. Also does Airtronics,JR, and Novak all use positive shift recievers?
Old 09-20-2006, 01:47 AM
Tech Addict

yeah i to have heard about that positive negative shift my self which left me wondering, as i dont know which ones do what, somewhat confusing. wouldnt it be a pain if you bought one and it didnt work.

i heard the spectrum ones can be used in multiple aplications but not sure on models etc im basically looking for a direct match but not only that im trying to find out if i can find one that has- even if its just slightly. but faster as it is going to be a basic set up nothing fancy i just would like to know if i could push going from basic to a bit faster response even if it means a few extra buks.

please anybody out there know anything on recievers let us know i do know this that some spectrum model not sure which one will give like point somthing ,somthing of a second faster response if i can find the fastest possible reciever that matches my application then it will turn from basic to the best that basic can get wouldnt it and if it means that slight point somthing of a second faster then thats transfered on the race track isnt it. could turn out to be one second faster laps over a full race it could turn into a position or two but not only that its having piece of mind and satisfaction for compfortable driving on a basic budget.

its not that important but id just like to know to see if i can get the fastest possible reciever that i can find for my radio.

i heard you can get a synthesised reciever for a crystal radio's. you just need to buy the tx crystal and your set, the reciever will find the tx CHANNEL and be on that channel i know they are somwhat dearer then basic recievers but if they are faster then i dont mind spending the extra. would it be worth getting a synthesized reciever for a crystal radio for the speed and the extra quality?

please someone cure my pain on this i just want to get one and get it over with though i would like to know what i can buy first . hehe.

anyone with some knowledge here is much needed let your thoughts run wild there is no limit on this forums just go for it we need your help hehe. .
thanks.
Old 09-20-2006, 05:47 AM
Tech Elite

Downunder, what is it that you are looking for? Is it AM or FM? Is it 27MHz, 40Mhz, 50MHz, 72MHz or 75MHz? You need to give us some BASIC information if you truely desire a good answer.

Any receiver can be used with digital servos but certain receivers can not be used with analog servos, those are the high frame rate receivers sold by Futaba and JR.

Are you referring to Spektrum? If you are do you realize that the Spektrum receiver is on the 2.4GHz band and use DSM (Digital Spread Spectrum) modulation. This is the one that will search for its companion Tx signal based on the handshake coding. This is incompatible with all other radios and only works with Spektrum. (Notice it's spelled with a "K").

Hitec makes a 75MHz FM module called Spectra which is synthesized so all you do is adjust the two dials for the frequency you want and insert the correct crystal in the receiver. Hitec is negative shift. Hitec has a Rx out that will automatically adjust for shift but it uses crystals.

Futaba has both 27MHz and 75Mhz FM synthesized modules for their 3PK series radios. They also have matching receivers but you must adjust the appropriate dials on both the Tx and Rx for the frequency you want.

Novak has synthesized receivers that will work with both positive and negative shift on 75MHz.

27MHz FM is the same shift for all radios.
Old 09-20-2006, 07:02 AM
Tech Master

So I guess that Airtronics, JR, and KO use positive shift FM recievers and Futaba and Hitec use negative shift FM recievers. And Novak's recievers can use both. This works for 27Mhz and 75 Mhz. Is this a good statement ARECEE? This actually only make sense because these particular manufacturers do this in the 72 Mhz band used for model aviation.
Old 09-20-2006, 08:04 AM
Tech Elite

I am not too familiar with what is available in 72MHz to make any comments.

27MHz, I believe, is all on the same shift from all manufacturers, it is only 75MHz that has the positive/negative difference.
Old 09-20-2006, 09:31 AM
Tech Master

Cool, that is what I thought. Thanks for the info.
Old 09-20-2006, 09:49 AM
Suspended

Futaba 3PK With the HRS receiver has a very fast processing speed!!!
Old 09-20-2006, 11:57 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Ethan Hunt
Futaba 3PK With the HRS receiver has a very fast processing speed!!!
That's nice but the original poster wishes to continue using his KO Propo EX-5 and wanted info on receivers.
Old 09-21-2006, 01:24 AM
Tech Addict

ok i am looking for an AM 29 mhz 2 or 3 channel reciever now is the band i require a 27mhz for these 29 mhz crystals or do i need 29mhz i have both 29 and 27 mhz crystals from experience they will work in either but is it that i am getting trouble with signal due to using 29 mhz crystals in a 27 mhz reciever?

one question is can i use a 3 channel reciever with a 2 channel transmitter i only need the 3rd channel for a transponder will the transponder work as all it needs is power from the rx battery for it to work i dont need to control it from the tx.

i think by the looks of things i may just have to go with the best of what ever my lhs has for my application.

while im here i might inform you i am looking at a new radio from jr the xs3 seems good is there much of a difference between the xs3 pro and the xs3 besides the colour?
and regarding the frequency channel it can search for as its synthesized you can choose from a 27 mhz or 75mhz application does this mean it can use any channel with in the 27 mhz range if i chose the 27mhz model.is that right?

which gives me how many channels?
Old 09-21-2006, 10:52 PM
Tech Addict

hi all well problem is solved i just bought a futaba R152JE 29 mhz AM 2 channel and its going smooth its somewhat smaller then my other futaba reciever so i got more room to tuck the wires away for convenience.
i cant see any radio getting much faster then what i have only more settings and synthesized set up is what proves to be better not to mention the lap timer etc,digital screen and model memory and all that with in a futaba 3pks and the like which im saving for and maybe some digi servos but for now my basic set up will have to do me which im happy with, theres no glitching or servo movement i havnt yet to see the range on it but for my track it doesnt have to be a huge range it should do me fine thanks for your interests and comments i just thought id post this thread and see what comes up.

by the way whats the hrs from the 3pks system do?
is it a totally seperate band or somthing, like having a private band getting away from most other frequencies and other radios?
Old 09-21-2006, 11:12 PM
Tech Master

It speeds up the frame rate for faster response.