Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Spektrum Radio... DX3 any good??

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2006, 04:29 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 40 (100%+)
Default Spektrum Radio... DX3 any good??

I am so tired of frequency clips and idiots jumping on my channel... just yesterday some guy turned his radio on and ran me into the wall causing a good $30 worth of damage to my MT...

IS the Spektrum DX3 any good ??? would you use it for racing??? any rumor of a better model coming out in the near future ??

any and all feedback is appreciated...
Old 08-24-2006, 04:55 PM
Tech Adept

I've used a DX3 to race. It's a good radio. Depending on what bells and whistles you are looking for and your uses, it might not be the radio for you.

But, the radio works well, as advertised. I think the only feature that I was missing was sometype of deadband adjustment / minimum drive - which the DX3 doesn't do (a lot of transmitters don't have this capability - so it's not a nock on the DX3).

You shouldn't be disappointed. Plus you can get them with 2 rx for free, with the current sale Spektrum has. Another bonus, is that the spektrum rx's are compatible with other transmitters, so, if down the road you desire to change to your transmitter to an M11, you plug and play your rx's.
Old 08-24-2006, 05:30 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

I used the dx3 for a bit, and I liked it for the most part. The one feature it didn't have that serpits hit on was the fact tha it lacks an exponential adjustment, which most radios do have. This bummed me out, but it still performs great, and is by far a great deal, don't hesitate to look at one.
Old 08-24-2006, 06:13 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

i just got it and love it!
Old 09-13-2006, 07:46 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

i have a spektrum DX2 and i love it
Old 09-13-2006, 08:36 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Yeah its a good system.
Old 09-14-2006, 07:19 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

In the last year or so, the antenas around our tracks got really short...

I've had mine for about a year, and really like it. No glitches, interference, or waiting for a freq. I can turn my car on at any time in the pits without worry. The lack of expo might be a down side for some...but I never use it, I just learn to drive the car. They'll prolly include expo in the next generation of DX3s. That old JR body is starting to look really dated, so an update is likely...no clue when though.
Old 09-14-2006, 08:14 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by R40Victim
In the last year or so, the antenas around our tracks got really short...

I've had mine for about a year, and really like it. No glitches, interference, or waiting for a freq. I can turn my car on at any time in the pits without worry. The lack of expo might be a down side for some...but I never use it, I just learn to drive the car. They'll prolly include expo in the next generation of DX3s. That old JR body is starting to look really dated, so an update is likely...no clue when though.

the new updated spektrum are in the works already go to horrizon hobby, they have them there, they look exactly like the JR radios. but i kinda like the way the spektrums look right now..... by the way what do you mean by expo???
Old 09-14-2006, 01:05 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 51 (100%+)

The new dx3 also has 4 model memory. Too bad they don't include some good servo's. I think the xs3 pro is coming with 8800's now, and it is the same casing.
Exp can be used with throttle or steering, positive exp will increase the distance traveled in a shorter amount of throw. Inversely negative exp will decrease the distance traveled in that same amount of throw. Transmitters come setup on linear. 50% movement 50% throw. postive exp 25% movement 50% throw. You can adjust it though. That is about the best I can explain it. Someone else may be able to do a better job.
Old 09-14-2006, 07:55 PM
Tech Champion

Expo is basically a way to adjust the sensativity. You can adjust it so it takes more or less throw on each channel, to make the servo move. That way if you're new to the hobby, you can make a car more tame, alot less touchy and get used to driving it easier.
Old 09-14-2006, 08:12 PM
Tech Adept

cool thanks, so basically it futher tunes the way you drive or would like to drive. so a DX3 would benifit alot more to a nitro car with the expo feature. BUt it really wouldnt matter to an electric though right epsecially if you have a DX2 right?.
Old 09-14-2006, 08:29 PM
Tech Champion

It's really a matter of taste. I like my cars pretty responsive, and some other racers can't drive my car. In fact, the fastest guy at my track has to turn the Expo and EPA down to drive my car. He handed me back the remote after turning some impressive laps, and I promptly drove it straight into the wall, because it felt so sluggish to me! It's all about how you like to drive. I like my cars very aggressive, the same as when I'm flying planes.(I fly 3-d) I don't like to move the controls much, feels smoother to me that way...

As far as benifits for the nitro car, DSM is awsome! The typical glitchy radio interference you get on FM when anything at all chafes in a nitro car, is gone with DSM. I picked up and 8th scale on road car about a year ago. I tried it with FM, and just couldn't get comfortable. With DSM, I was so confident, I drove the !@#$ out of that car. I'd been racing a couple years, 10th scale electric and nitro touring, and I had never turned laps that hot! In my opinion DSM is so far superior to anything else, there's no question what system I plan to use from now on.
Old 09-14-2006, 08:56 PM
Tech Addict

MMM I really like the new DX3.0

Old 09-15-2006, 08:01 AM
Tech Champion

Those do look nice, but why is it they only have 4 model memories? I know these aren't top of the line or anything, but for $250 you should have at least a 10 model memory. Then there's the new DX2, with a measly 2 model memory! This really makes a used M-8 look more apealing... I guess typical bashers might have 3 or 4 cars. I race several classes, both on and off road, so I need more than 4 model memory if I'm gonna drop that much flow on a control system.
Old 09-15-2006, 09:21 AM
Tech Master

I love my DX3. I would reccomend it to anyone. The DX3 has the same interaction software as the JR XS3 and XR2, but it's ultra crisp and impervious to glitching. My only complaint is the voltage cutoff is a bit strict. I was coming off turn 4 at an oval race, my batts were anything but fresh, and I was a lap up. All of a sudden, the car shut off. Lost all control, it just came to a rolling stop. I was about to win, but I lost the ticket because the radio's voltage cutoff decided that it couldn't go the extra 4 feet safely..... Oh well, it pays off in other areas.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.